Which Uni should i go to? Please help me out! (1 Viewer)

lisa1865

HSC
hello everyone!

I completed my HSC last year and started studying at UNSW but i didn't enjoy my degree so i deferred it in the first semester. I got 96 for my ATAR and know that I am unlikely to get into UNSW or USYD combined degrees. However, I would love to study UTS business/law and placed it as my first preference. It has soo many benefits, especially its PLT training. At this stage, I know that UTS cut off is higher than mine (i think it is 97.20-98) and i am worried that I won't be able to make it. I am now in a dilemma about what uni i should placed as my second preference. The only 2 unis i can think of are Macquarie and UWS. I am aware that MQ is quite far, almost 2 hours from my house while UWS is approximately 30 mins. I thought of taking accommodation at MQ but it is expensive :S

Again, i know there has been a lot of debates that for law, it is essential to attend a strong, reputated uni which has connections with other law firms. Tbh, I would like to work in private practice in my suburb after gaining sufficient exprience. I have had a look at both of their structures/curriculum and they appear both good to me so i can't tell! Also, i am aware that people like to recommend me studying just commerce at UNSW and transfer but i really don't want to risk it.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

smiggles

HSC
UNSW offers bonus points doesn't it? Or is that not for law? You can get up to 10 bonus points depending on the subject and things you did

Bongos

HSC
If you live near UWS I gather that you most likely are from the Western Suburbs. This could potentially mean you get 10 bonus points for UTS

lisa1865

HSC
If you live near UWS I gather that you most likely are from the Western Suburbs. This could potentially mean you get 10 bonus points for UTS
UNSW offers bonus points doesn't it? Or is that not for law? You can get up to 10 bonus points depending on the subject and things you did

Thanks for the response guys. Yeah, UNSW does but i feel that my ATAR will still be off because the maximum bonus points i probably can get is 2, for EAS.
yeah, i live in the Western suburbs but doesn't that 10 UTS bonus points apply with current school leavers? because i am a non-school leaver

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
In law prestige counts to a certain degree,mostly to get through that initial door. If you want to use your law degree to work in law then I suggest against UWS. Getting into almost any law firm is competitive,doesn't matter if it's a local one or not, of course there would be less competition then the big 6,but I would take a potential advantage for securing my future career over 1.5 more hours of travel. You can of course take accomdation such as sharing with others near MQ which should come out cheaper, if your really looking cut costs for moving out.
You seem very willing to go to UTS for law if you got in,and MACQ is only about 30mins more travel,yet the programs share similar prestige.
Another question is why do you continue to study business in combination with law if you stated that you do not enjoy it(so much that you deferred). You may wish to change to another degree altogether if your applying for another university. There's of course the suitability of business with law, but you may choose another major that you enjoy much more if you're looking mostly to get into a law firm. Don't risk continuing if you dont enjoy it, you will just tarnish the WAM you want to acquire (unless your doing good with commerce,then that's a more difficult choice).

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
what about go to your preference of macquarie or uts in a non-law degree
and either transfer across to the combined at the end of first year or if that fails do law post grad?

lisa1865

HSC
what about go to your preference of macquarie or uts in a non-law degree
and either transfer across to the combined at the end of first year or if that fails do law post grad?
In law prestige counts to a certain degree,mostly to get through that initial door. If you want to use your law degree to work in law then I suggest against UWS. Getting into almost any law firm is competitive,doesn't matter if it's a local one or not, of course there would be less competition then the big 6,but I would take a potential advantage for securing my future career over 1.5 more hours of travel. You can of course take accomdation such as sharing with others near MQ which should come out cheaper, if your really looking cut costs for moving out.
You seem very willing to go to UTS for law if you got in,and MACQ is only about 30mins more travel,yet the programs share similar prestige.
Another question is why do you continue to study business in combination with law if you stated that you do not enjoy it(so much that you deferred). You may wish to change to another degree altogether if your applying for another university. There's of course the suitability of business with law, but you may choose another major that you enjoy much more if you're looking mostly to get into a law firm. Don't risk continuing if you dont enjoy it, you will just tarnish the WAM you want to acquire (unless your doing good with commerce,then that's a more difficult choice).

Thanks for the detailed advice guys! sorry i didn't mention it clearly. i previously studied Medical Science. yeah i thought over it properly and i currently have UTS as my first preference followed by Macquarie commerce/law. My third one is UNSW commerce/education. I was planning if I am unsuccessful for the first 2 unis then i will study at UNSW and if i like commerce/ed then I will just stick with it. However, if i do well then hopefully i can get an internal transfer to combined law. What do you guys think of that? I am afraid of doing one degree so i feel safer doing a dual.

Well, i also thought of law/music because i play the piano and would like to use that degree to private tutor but I think i might kill my WAM because i am not that good at music. LOL. Also, MQ only offers contemporary music.

Last edited:

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Dont go UWS
Or, you can go UWS (easier to get into); do the priestly 11; do an assortment of law electives that are offered at almost every university and transfer to a more prestigious university late in your degree, get credit exemptions for the units you have already done and finish off your non law electives... If prestige is THAT important; work smart, not hard...

Disclaimer: there is no guarantee you will get into that more prestigious university... (or that you will be offered all the exemptions possible; some universities are very unwilling to offer exemption... probably because they are money hungry imbeciles)

You get the same level of any education in any law school you go to... If it wasn't the same, the Supreme Court and Board of Examiners (well, that's what they are in Victoria) wouldn't let that school offer law...

Last edited:

lisa1865

HSC
Or, you can go UWS (easier to get into); do the priestly 11; do an assortment of law electives that are offered at almost every university and transfer to a more prestigious university late in your degree, get credit exemptions for the units you have already done and finish off your non law electives... If prestige is THAT important; work smart, not hard...

Disclaimer: there is no guarantee you will get into that more prestigious university... (or that you will be offered all the exemptions possible; some universities are very unwilling to offer exemption... probably because they are money hungry imbeciles)

You get the same level of any education in any law school you go to... If it wasn't the same, the Supreme Court and Board of Examiners (well, that's what they are in Victoria) wouldn't let that school offer law...
haha thanks for the advice. Well, i am a bit confused by what you mean but i think you meant study UWS law and then transfer. I am not deadset on law (but it is something I would like to study) so if i am unsuccessful for Macquarie and UTS then I will just study commerce at UNSW/USYD and if I still want law then i will go for a JD. Cos tbh, i did worked hard to achieve my ATAR and am told I am taking a major risk to go UWS.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
just go MQ law, or if you're willing, you can move to canberra and go to ANU law (Go8 quality and reputation) 96 atar exact

lisa1865

HSC
just go MQ law, or if you're willing, you can move to canberra and go to ANU law (Go8 quality and reputation) 96 atar exact
MQ is my second preference so hopefully they will accept me if i can't get in UTS :) yeah, I know ANU is a good uni but I don't think I will move to Canberra because I will get home sick + expensive accommodation. haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)