Which Uni? Which Major? (1 Viewer)

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Hey, recently got my ENTER and can now probably get into all my courses.

I applied for Arts at Melbourne Uni, Arts at Monash Clayton and Caulfield. I'm doing Arts with the aim of transferring into law, either through Melbourne, by finishing the Arts degree and then transferring or by Monash, through trying to transfer each year of my degree till I get in.

I'm leaning towards Melbourne, but that's pretty superficial, and based simply on the fact that it is harder to get into, I don't actually know which has the better Arts degree. Can anyone tell me a bit more about the strenghts weaknesses of each?

Also I haven't the faintest clue what subjects I'd do in my degree - I've just focused all year on getting into my courses, not what I'd do once I got in. I love English and Literature, used to like History, but a terrible teacher this year killed it for me, and I guess I have an interest but no experience in working with Philosophy.

LordPc

HSC
go and find out what you do in 1st year.

you should have some core courses that you must do, and then some electives. you can use those electives to test out some subjects. do a history course, do a philosophy course, see if you like them.

the uni's should have a listing of their courses online somewhere, just have a flick through that, see what looks interesting and let that help you decide

Gmac_0

HSC
Hey, recently got my ENTER and can now probably get into all my courses.

I applied for Arts at Melbourne Uni, Arts at Monash Clayton and Caulfield. I'm doing Arts with the aim of transferring into law, either through Melbourne, by finishing the Arts degree and then transferring or by Monash, through trying to transfer each year of my degree till I get in.

I'm leaning towards Melbourne, but that's pretty superficial, and based simply on the fact that it is harder to get into, I don't actually know which has the better Arts degree. Can anyone tell me a bit more about the strenghts weaknesses of each?

Also I haven't the faintest clue what subjects I'd do in my degree - I've just focused all year on getting into my courses, not what I'd do once I got in. I love English and Literature, used to like History, but a terrible teacher this year killed it for me, and I guess I have an interest but no experience in working with Philosophy.
I'm sort of in the same boat as you I think. I concentrated on trying to get into Melb Arts without really considering whether Monash or Latrobe or whoever else had a better Arts degree. I've heard from someone who did Arts latrobe and is now postgrad philosophy that Melbourne lost a couple of good professors, but really, who knows, I really just chose it because it is a lot easier to get to than Monash, I've been to the campus a few times, and also the ENTER is higher (yeah superficial). I'm considering doing stuff such as: Criminology, Psychology, Economics, Media and communications, Cinema, English. There is course stuff on the melbourne website ofc, but it is reasonably brief.

philphie

Banned
HSC
unimelb is knwon to have one of the best arts degrees in australia apart from usyd. the timetable format makes it so easy to study a mix of whatever you want. plus you also have to consider why does unimelb only offer the one arts degrees (apart from media which is undergoing its last admission year) and that it doesn't have specific degress like rmit? because the arts degree is so flexible

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Almost certainly going to Arts at Melbourne now :)

Thinking of doing Creative Writing, English, History and Philosophy - what are these subjects like? (for anyone who has tried them).

HSC
N/A

Thinking of doing Creative Writing, English, History and Philosophy - what are these subjects like? (for anyone who has tried them).
english, lit and history are good, creative writing and philosophy are no good

amirite

HSC
Monash Clayton has a fair few more major studies than Melbourne IIRC. For me Monash has the best Arts degree.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I've heard from someone who did Arts latrobe and is now postgrad philosophy that Melbourne lost a couple of good professors
Peter Singer and Graham Priest (to Princeton and CUNY respectively). Sadly for Melbourne both of these dudes are top class philosophers.

That said, Melbourne has one of the strongest philosophy programs in Australia, with Monash not too far behind.

As to what philosophy is like - it is amazing, but I am biased. I involves next to no rote learning of facts and is instead dominated by conceptual analysis and exposition of complex arguments.

Philosophy is something you can take in very different directions depending on how you pick your subjects - e.g. you could dwell amidst value theory (think bioethics, moral theory, politics and questions of justice), metaphysics and epistemology (knowledge, free will, consciousness, probability, time, scientific method), logic (formal, informal, modal, paraconsistent), skip over to the European camp (meaning, community, alienation, freedom, interpretation), study the history of ideas (Greeks like Plato and Aristotle, early Christian philosophy, Enlightenment thought, Modernity [Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, Hegel], Postmodernity), or just mix it all together.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)