which uni? (1 Viewer)

msh

HSC
bringbackshred said:
Interesting... I put it in the same category as music really... You don't need it to be successful at your job.
i have to disagree there.

You might not realise but fashion is an EXTREMELY competitive industry. There was a time when you may not ncessarily need any training to be one eg: Ralph Lauren.

But not in 21st century...
Trust me, ive done lots of research into this field and it is far different from becoming a musician.
Even the fact that the selections are based purely on UAI unlike a B Music degree also says alot.
Also designers are a business profession, not just artists. its a cross over of art and business.

here are some links from career related institutions/ DIA to prove my point.

http://www.iseek.org/sv/13020.jsp?id=100078

"To work as a fashion designer, you must:

complete a bachelor's degree"

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Explore_types_of_jobs/Types_of_Job/p!eipaL?state=showocc&idno=413&pageno=3

'Although this area of work is open to all graduates and Diplomates, a degree in the following subjects will increase your chances'
'Diplomates face increased competition from graduates.'

Design Institute of Australia , the governing body of professional designers.
http://www.dia.org.au/content.cfm?id=112

"In keeping with professional training currently available the DIA recommends four years of tertiary design training to degree level."

msh

HSC
Gangles.McGee said:
There goes Vis Comm/Int Studies [cry]

Marc Jacobssssssssssssss :shy:

Msh, do you plan on going into Vis Comm or Fashion in 08?
im going to try both :)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yeah i wouldnt really let that high UAI be a deterrent because you wouldnt really know whether it would rise, fall or stay the same
maybe once you get your UAI, youll get a fair idea as to whether you have a decent chance of making into that course
if not there are extra pathways you could take on fulfilling your dream course :D

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
thats the attitude i like to see
it aint over until its really over :D

msh

HSC
good luck to us and everyone else :)

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
msh said:
i have to disagree there.

You might not realise but fashion is an EXTREMELY competitive industry. There was a time when you may not ncessarily need any training to be one eg: Ralph Lauren.

But not in 21st century...
Trust me, ive done lots of research into this field and it is far different from becoming a musician.
Even the fact that the selections are based purely on UAI unlike a B Music degree also says alot.
Also designers are a business profession, not just artists. its a cross over of art and business.

here are some links from career related institutions/ DIA to prove my point.

http://www.iseek.org/sv/13020.jsp?id=100078

"To work as a fashion designer, you must:

complete a bachelor's degree"

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Explore_types_of_jobs/Types_of_Job/p!eipaL?state=showocc&idno=413&pageno=3

'Although this area of work is open to all graduates and Diplomates, a degree in the following subjects will increase your chances'
'Diplomates face increased competition from graduates.'

Design Institute of Australia , the governing body of professional designers.
http://www.dia.org.au/content.cfm?id=112

"In keeping with professional training currently available the DIA recommends four years of tertiary design training to degree level."
I didn't read all of that, but I admit defeat. :)

iniv

HSC
Well my dream course is commerce/law

soooo naturally Usyd is the uni I HOPE to attend next year (or UNSW :) )- whether it will happen or not... its a possibility- just gotta keep studying hard, and hope for a little bit of luck, but I certainly won't get my hopes up too high- though I'm offically joing subjective in praying that the cutoff drops from 99 to 91 :D

oh, and if I did actuarial studies, seems like Macq is the best option, but the idea of going to a uni that's less than five minutes away from my home really doesn't appeal to me (despite the convenience)...mainly because my social life would probably revolve around Macquarie shopping centre (much as it does now), with my parents dropping me off at uni every morning ha ha

(In case you can't tell I'm desperately craving the independance that going uni will-hopefully-bring :D)

on that note going and studying interstate, escpecially in Melbourne, is an idea that REALLY appeals to me, but would probably never happen :(

Last edited:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
LottoX said:
If you'd like to pursue the Commerce component, you'd best study BCom/LLB at UNSW instead.
Nah it's sh*t.

Go to usyd :)

(p.s. unsw is only good for the food. come here if you are in yr fridge, eatin yr f00dz :confused:)

:wave: xia

annarose

HSC
I want to do international relations at usyd soooooooo badly... but I want to do it as a double degree... I'm just not sure what with yet... nothing financial as I am a proud general mathematician *represent*.

shaaali

HSC
i want to do either Zoology or Food and Nutrition....

im so stuck as to what uni i should be thinking about going to.

any comments suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
zoology...either usyd or unsw
food or nutrition...usyd has a good program called b nutrition but the UAI fo that was i think 93, or you could combine that with sports and exercise science
i think uws offers food and nutrition too

revhead.meg

HSC
are particular uni's better than other or is it just reputation by word of mouth?

IceOnFire

HSC
I soooo want to go to Syd Uni, it's so uni like! (Haha as you can see my enthusiasim)

Too bad they don't have actuarial studies. :(

It will probably be macquarie or UNSW for me then.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
IceOnFire said:
I soooo want to go to Syd Uni, it's so uni like! (Haha as you can see my enthusiasim)

Too bad they don't have actuarial studies. :(

It will probably be macquarie or UNSW for me then.
and unsw and macquarie are not uni like?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)