Which UNI???? (1 Viewer)

jskeza

HSC
N/A
Hi, What university do I choose? I am most likely going go into engineering of some sort. So I need to choose between USYD and UNSW. I know UNSW is better for engineering but the bus ride and waiting in queues for the next 4-5 years seems like a pain. Does the difference between the two even matter? USYD is also 25 minutes closer than UNSW according to google maps. Also there is going to be a light rail in 2020, is this going make travel any better? Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Also are the trimesters really that much of a pain?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, What university do I choose? I am most likely going go into engineering of some sort. So I need to choose between USYD and UNSW. I know UNSW is better for engineering but the bus ride and waiting in queues for the next 4-5 years seems like a pain. Does the difference between the two even matter? USYD is also 25 minutes closer than UNSW according to google maps. Also there is going to be a light rail in 2020, is this going make travel any better? Thanks for the help.

No, there's hardly a queue for the bus. The only time there will be a bigger queue is during exam time, I always get on the first bus that comes when I join the 'queue'. People who say otherwise are just talking shit.

USYD is not 25 minutes closer. If your taking the train, the difference between central and redfern is only like 2 minutes. You'll just spend an extra 15 minutes for the bus ride but that's about it. Light rail is gonna make it faster because it stops right outside UNSW.

The best uni for Engineering is UNSW hands down. The lecturers I've had for Comp sci are great. Trimesters are only really a pain in the sense that you get less holidays throughout the term and your holidays don't match up with other unis. However if your a hard worker it shouldn't be too bad. It's mostly 2nd years and onward's who are complaining about it, us first years don't really care..

sida1049

HSC
Both are fine universities for engineering. If you significantly prefer UNSW over USYD, then chances are the additional commute would be worth it.

Other important factors are:
  • Whether you'd prefer the trimester (UNSW) or semester (USYD) structure
  • Structure of degrees (core units, flexibility in choosing electives)
  • Combined degrees

jskeza

HSC
N/A
No, there's hardly a queue for the bus. The only time there will be a bigger queue is during exam time, I always get on the first bus that comes when I join the 'queue'. People who say otherwise are just talking shit.

USYD is not 25 minutes closer. If your taking the train, the difference between central and redfern is only like 2 minutes. You'll just spend an extra 15 minutes for the bus ride but that's about it. Light rail is gonna make it faster because it stops right outside UNSW.

The best uni for Engineering is UNSW hands down. The lecturers I've had for Comp sci are great. Trimesters are only really a pain in the sense that you get less holidays throughout the term and your holidays don't match up with other unis. However if your a hard worker it shouldn't be too bad. It's mostly 2nd years and onward's who are complaining about it, us first years don't really care..
How are the trimesters? Is it really as bad as people make it out to be, it seems that way with the protests and stuff.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
How are the trimesters?
Like I said, not AS bad as people make it out to be. You kinda just learn to deal with it and tbh I've adjusted to it quite well now..

jskeza

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the answers, i'm leaning towards UNSW rn and will research further

blyatman

HSC
N/A

Depends what engineering you want to do, but overall yes UNSW is better, but honestly the difference is pretty small and nobody cares. You're not comparing USYD/UNSW v MIT, you're comparing two good Australian unis, and it's all the same.

In terms of travel time, yes UNSW is further. I once had to wait 30mins to get a train back to central from UNSW lol. Start of semester, the bus lines at Central go around the corner as well. Overall, it does adds up over the years. It takes 7mins to walk from Redfern to the engineering campus, and in that time you would've probably just got on the bus or waiting in line. You'd probably save around 30-60mins of commute everyday, at the very least.

If I could do my degree again I would do it at Macq (assuming they offered it). It doesn't really matter which uni you go to, so I personally I would pick the most convenient one.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)