which university for finance industry (1 Viewer)

rahul_rul210

HSC
i have been checking out various courses at various universities. I want to enter the finance field and if not that accounting. i have heard unsw is the best university for commerce is that true?. i am also interested in macquarie because they offer a course which focuses on finance but i am not sure if it is a good uni. the location of either uni doesnt really bother me. i am more interested on what is the best uni for entering the finance industry or if it doesnt really make a difference.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
yeah probably unsw

though you should look at rmit university's Economics/applied finance double degree, if you don't mind moving to melbourne

Atlas

HSC
N/A
i have been checking out various courses at various universities. I want to enter the finance field and if not that accounting. i have heard unsw is the best university for commerce is that true?. i am also interested in macquarie because they offer a course which focuses on finance but i am not sure if it is a good uni. the location of either uni doesnt really bother me. i am more interested on what is the best uni for entering the finance industry or if it doesnt really make a difference.
Macquarie has a good reputation on business/economics degrees and it has the advantage of integrated internship (i.e. you can receive credit for doing a related internship). There's also a lot of student support and a great campus life. Are you looking at the B Applied Finance?

rahul_rul210

HSC
ya i am looking at the b applied finance but i am also considering doing it with a double degree of commerce or economics but i am not sure which one

DeltaZero

HSC
UNSW or USYD are your only real choices here. If you can get into either of their commerce or combined commerce degrees, go for it. I'm not saying the other universities are sub par or that their degrees are of lower caliber, I just think you maximize your chances of getting into the finance sector by attending those two universities.

The reason is that finance employers selectively target UNSW & USYD and even though they say all candidates are considered on the basis of their strengths, there is a strong bias towards those two universities. I have attended many interviews and have many friends and know many people who are trying to work or do work in the finance sector, and the message is always the same: of the student intake coming from Sydney, it is exclusively (with the very rare exception) from UNSW or USYD. Surprisingly, there are a lot of intake from interstate and even from NZ.

Also, do not be overly concerned with the specific degree or major you're doing. As long as you get into one of the two universities and pick finance as one of your majors, you are fine. Recruiters do not actually care about what you have studied or what program you are on, they are more interested in your experiences and your capabilities.

Last edited:

Atlas

HSC
N/A
ya i am looking at the b applied finance but i am also considering doing it with a double degree of commerce or economics but i am not sure which one
The combined B Applied Finance programs are very popular - if you combine it with economics, there's a fair amount of similarity between the two areas and they really complement each other. On the other hand, if you combine it with commerce - you get more choices in majors. Depends on what you want after uni.

Bendent

HSC
finance, econs, accounting <--- these threee complment each other

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)