Which University is good for B Law/(something) (1 Viewer)

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
jeffreylah said:
Yer, i thought of going to University of New England, but the my parent can't afford my Uni fees + living fees, and others...
So i can't go~

Ok i'll think more into what i should do for the other subject + Law ^^

I would have thought UNE was cheaper, since it is not in Sydney and because you don't rely on public transport (that's a convenience issue too - no trains breaking down).

Have a good look at whichever uni you're thinking of. Sydney uni actually does not allow a combination of arts and social or psych or something (can't remember what - it was 2 years ago when I picked my preferences), but anyway I couldn't pick the three arts subjecst I wanted along with law.
Don't concentrate on the UAI as any indication. Check out the good universitys guide or whatever it is where students rank their unis. Go to the open days (or just turn up randomly and check the place out).
If you're interested in residential places then check them out too (actually I think UNE has the best residential system too). If you're going for any of the unis you listed then be sure you can handle large class sizes etc.

And as for marking I thought uni's had benchmarks. So it's theoretically for the whole class to get HDs and or fail. Ranking is the stupidest way of grading known to man and the Board of Studies are idiots for following it. It punishes you for helping others because they may outrank you whereas in uni if you were getting a D and you helped someone and they recieved a better mark then you, then you should still get the same mark as if you didn't help that person at all.

ali2230

HSC
I always thought that UAI was not indicative of the hardness of the Degree you are applying for but based on demand and supply for example a high demand for a degree with limited spots will push the uai up and vice versa, my advice my friend is that you go to Notre Dame University, why? because its both cost effective and has small student size at its Sydney campus with only 30 spots offered for law, which last time was not filled.

I currently go to La trobe University at the Sydney Business faculity and has a student population of 323, where the only courses ran there is business degrees, this allowed for more lecturer interaction and group discussions and questions to the lecturer in both the tutorial and lecture, yes in the lecture! where we would strike up casual conversations on business issues.

I understand in the main campus of La Trobe (has student population of 22, 000) and the big campus unis like Syd, UTS, etc u cannot do this and have a proper student relationship with the lecturer where you are treated just as a number and not a person (however I could be wrong so I apolgise if I am, i never went to a big uni despite nearly going to UNSW).

I say cost-effective because of the push for students to move from HECs to the Fee-help program where theres a upper limit of 50, 000 can be borred from the government to pay for your course so if u go over this limit u are stuck with paying it yourself.

In the end of the day I think any law degree from any university is fine for the workforce unless the university is not protected by legislation.

And you dont have to catholic/Christian to attend Notre Dame university Im of Islamic background (though i dont practise it).

They offer double degrees heres there website www.nd.edu.au i plan to go there for law graduate entry once i complete my business.

michaeln36

HSC
Its very simple.
An interaction of the forces of supply and demand deetermine the uai cutoff.
A higher UAI cutoff means that more QUALITY candiates applied for this course (relative to supply).
So if more quality (higher uai) candidates are applying for a course, and these are people who can go to any university they want, then a high uai cutoff is representative of the prestige that university has, and the quality of its canditure.

Following on from this, it is reasonable to assume the follow ranks in law schools:

1st tier: Sydney Uni, UNSW
2nd tier: Maquarie, UTS, ANU
3rd tier: UWS, UOW, and other smaller unis (UNE etc.)

but prestige does not always guarantee a job.
USYD's UAI cutoff (99.55) is slightly higher than UNSW's (99.2), but UNSW is regarded to have more innovative teaching methods, and produce graduates of higher quality, and thus has a much lower unemployment rate for graduates.

Generally, asking the question "which law school is the best?" will give a multitude of responses. Those who are saying UWS, UOW etc. are just as good most likely applied for UNSW or USYD, but failed to get in, with their current uni being their second or third choice. Most people put the higher uai unis first in their UAC choices, and concede that if they dont get these UAI's, 'lower' law schools will suffice.

Last edited:

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
your knowledge on universities is i (ie. purely imaginairy)

going by your system, usyd would be the best then followed by uts, club mac and anu.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
michaeln36 said:
Those who are saying UWS, UOW etc. are just as good most likely applied for UNSW or USYD, but failed to get in, with their current uni being their second or third choice. Most people put the higher uai unis first in their UAC choices, and concede that if they dont get these UAI's, 'lower' law schools will suffice.
I dont think UWS is the best law school around and I don't want to start anything however I just want to clear up a few things you said. This is not an attack on you but just an alternative to the perspective you are offering. I suppose I am not qualified in any manner to compare uni's and I wont but I will tell you how I came to my decision.

UWS was always my first preference because
1. I knew I wouldn't get the UAI for UNSW/USYD.
2. Because it was the only uni around to offer the major I wanted
3. Location etc...
4. Scholarship

I just want to show that not everyone puts their preference in UAI order, I had UTS under it for a while on the off chance I decided to try and get into their single degree course. I suppose I could have put the full fee courses above but that would have been stupid since I would have got in and then missed out on the course I truly want.

Ultimately its not always a simple choice as you need to find the uni that suits your needs whether it be USYD or UTS or UNE you don't need to sell USYD and UNSW most people want to go there, but don't tell people the decision is so simple that you should just put them in UAI order.

I hope no one takes this as an argument advocating UWS as being the supreme uni or that I am trying to start something. I just want people to know that there is more to chosing a uni than UAI order.

Good luck to all the prospective law kiddies and I hope you all get into the uni's you want, whichever that is :)

My best advice is to check out all the open days and talk to people, thats what I did. It really helps when making the decision when you have experienced the uni on your own and not going by the word of others.

pete_mate

HSC
gress <3 tig said:
Ceteris paribus ? (everything else the same)
Why, the USyd student would miss out of course.
If the USyd education is so beneficial, the USyd student should have been more easily able to secure additional work experience/casual clerkships/et cetera, making him the more suitable student for the role.
If the academics at USyd are so much better, yet the USyd student managed to only perform to an equal 'academic performance' to the UWS student? Would this not make the UWS student better since her performance was 'exactly' comparable to the USyd student, yet achieved this using the 'worse' academics, and resources?
If USyd law is full of 99.6ers, then the competitiveness throughout the undergrad law courses should have been higher, than compared to the (85uai ??) students going through the UWS law program. So for a UWS student to earn the same academic achievements as a USyd student, with the less motivation/competitiveness, then could you say they are 'smarter' ?

Law grads: USyd v. UWS, everything else the same?
UWS, every time. :)

omg. that is the biggest load of shit i have ever heard.

the course content at usyd is harder than other unis. in addition, tests are designed to evenly distribute the candidature. this results in the tests being as hard as they need to be to differentiate the candidature.

here's the important point. usyd students are smarter, because everyone will always choose usyd first, and uws last. THEREFORE: it is harder to obtain a distinction average in usyd than uws in absolute terms.

saying a distinction uws student is better than a credit usyd student is a load of shit. They are differant, credit and distinction mean differant things because they are at differant unis with differant standards for credit and distinction.

Stop deluding yourself.

Life Starts Now

stressful?...NEVER!
HSC
This is sort of not related...but I don't know how to start a new thread?..don't noe if thats what you call it... anway..

i was wondering... If I did media and communications at unsw, once i finish that course would i be able to do graduate law at usyd?

thanks!

phrred

HSC
mzdirector said:
This is sort of not related...but I don't know how to start a new thread?..don't noe if thats what you call it... anway..

i was wondering... If I did media and communications at unsw, once i finish that course would i be able to do graduate law at usyd?

thanks!
yes but its hard to get into grad law at unsw/usyd
ull need a good UAI and prob a D average or work experience but they also say they take in most honours students

Life Starts Now

stressful?...NEVER!
HSC
phrred said:
yes but its hard to get into grad law at unsw/usyd
ull need a good UAI and prob a D average or work experience but they also say they take in most honours students

would it be hard to start off with media and communications and then combine with law in the second year at either unsw or usyd?

santaslayer

HSC
mzdirector said:
would it be hard to start off with media and communications and then combine with law in the second year at either unsw or usyd?
not any harder than any other degree...

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
I'm quite happy with UTS.
Some of my mates wanna transfer to UNSW but (but thats because they just missed out on getting in there)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
mzdirector said:
Just so long as you keep in mind that USYD has no Communication/Law programs, it'd have to be either Communications on its own or as Arts/Law. Whereas basically every other uni in the city has communications combined with law.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
first year to second year transfer into law at unsw requires gpa between credit and distinction and 97 uai combined.

pete_mate

HSC
blackfriday said:
first year to second year transfer into law at unsw requires gpa between credit and distinction and 97 uai combined.

what about a D average, is that cool with 95.8?

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
yeh if you look in the transfers thread there's a wam converter. credit gets converted to 88 and distinction gets converted to 94. the extrapolation between the marks is not quite linear but its pretty close. for first year kids its roughly half uai, half gpa (and anyone who knows more than me please correct).

pete_mate

HSC
blackfriday said:
yeh if you look in the transfers thread there's a wam converter. credit gets converted to 88 and distinction gets converted to 94. the extrapolation between the marks is not quite linear but its pretty close. for first year kids its roughly half uai, half gpa (and anyone who knows more than me please correct).

Are you saying that i'd need 4 hd's to average out my 95.8, asif!

to transfer into usyd law with similar i know someone with an 80 average

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Blackfriday is sorta correct. Pete mate, you will need a GPA of around 6.2 to get a transfer to law. (for unsw). (usyd will be higher). Read the transfer guide.

santaslayer

HSC
pete_mate said:
Are you saying that i'd need 4 hd's to average out my 95.8, asif!

to transfer into usyd law with similar i know someone with an 80 average
Close to all HD's, yes. At least.

Are you in denial already? :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)