Which University is right for me? (1 Viewer)

fakermaker

HSC
I'm looking to do a BA in 2012. My atar was 96.65 which means I have a wide selection of possible universities.

I am unsure what I want to do career-wise, however I am very much interested in Postgraduate study (assuming I keep up the work).

I am interested in History, Philosophy and Political Science. My first preference is currently USYD as it is easily accessible by train (i dont drive) and has prestige for its Arts degrees.

Is this a good choice? What subjects should I consider taking?

Thanks for all the help.

M

MichelleV

I've been told by many people that Macquarie is excellent for history related courses. Maybe look into what they have to offer as well :)

Politic

HSC
N/A
I'm looking to do a BA in 2012. My atar was 96.65 which means I have a wide selection of possible universities.

I am unsure what I want to do career-wise, however I am very much interested in Postgraduate study (assuming I keep up the work).

I am interested in History, Philosophy and Political Science. My first preference is currently USYD as it is easily accessible by train (i dont drive) and has prestige for its Arts degrees.

Is this a good choice? What subjects should I consider taking?

Thanks for all the help.
Awesome ATAR. Yeah transport is an important factor, and USYD has a great Arts program I've heard. History, Philosophy and Politics are all good choices within Arts. I guess you could go on the USYD website and get an idea which specific units within these fields you would be inclined to do.

izzy88

HSC
I've been told by many people that Macquarie is excellent for history related courses. Maybe look into what they have to offer as well :)
Macquarie is great for ancient history, but not so great for modern history, so it depends on what kind of history OP is looking to do. If OP is interested in lots of different arts areas (such as history, philosophy etc), then I would recommend usyd (especially if it is convenient for transport) as I believe it's probably better for an all-round arts degree.

OP - as for what subjects to consider taking, for first year just take the general first year units for the subjects you are interested in - eg. a philosophy subject, a political science one, a history unit (modern or ancient, or both depending on your interest). Although I haven't looked at the outlines in a while, for ancient history there generally isn't much choice in first year - ie. there's a Rome unit and a Greece unit - the choices generally come for second/third year.

Just pick a wide range of subjects (and be aware that there are generally pre-requisites to do second year subjects in particular areas eg. to do a second year history subject you need to have completed two first year history subjects). Although you have to enrol for the entire year at pre-enrollment, know that you can switch subjects for generally about the first 2-3 weeks of semester - you aren't locked in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)