• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Which way is better? (2 Viewers)

shuning

HSC
atm im thinking about moving school because of change of adress, what i wana know is which fact is more important towards the scaling of my UAI? my school's avg mark or my rank?
i have a choice of the following 3 school

119. Turramurra High School 65 91 609 10.67% 71 755 9%
attending it atm, my ranking is about avg in every subject

244. Asquith Boys High School 22 64 367 5.99% 16 406 4%
my school last year, my ranking are in the top 3 for every eubjects

408. Erina High School 19 112 546 3.48% 21 531 4%
thinking about entering it, considering the low ranking i think i might rank no1 xD

and any other schools up the central coast except Gosford High.

my subjects for nxt year:
Advanced English ( thining of dropping to Stardard )
Math ext 2
Physics
Economics

please give me ideas and advices on what i should do for nxt yr
thanks
Shuning

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't thunk you should go to Erina High School because they might not offer 4unit.

L

lsam

shuning said:
atm im thinking about moving school because of change of adress, what i wana know is which fact is more important towards the scaling of my UAI? my school's avg mark or my rank?

thinking about entering it, considering the low ranking i think i might rank no1 xD

Math ext 2
Physics
Economics

thanks
Shuning
Who cares about school? Try your best and you will get the marks for it.

L

lsam

shuning said:
nah, ive talked to ppl in that skool, she told me that they have 20+ ppl this yr wanting to do 4 unit
you gotta be joking. that school must be full of azns.

lionking1191

HSC
there's really no pt unless you failed all your prev. assessment tasks and totally confident of acing trials or something

T

Troy2287

shuning said:

Math ext 2
Physics
Economics

thanks
Shuning
If it were me, I would definately steer away from Erina...408 as a rank is not impressive...and even if you did rank 1 in every subject, you'd be relying on yourself to top the year with impressive hsc marks.

If you think you can get top 3 at Asquith I'd go for that...but obviously, Turramurra is the highest ranked, and if you can top those you'd be set for 95+...but that'd be a lot of work cause you're against better competition in your cohort.

My advice: Just don't go to Erina.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Troy2287 said:
If it were me, I would definately steer away from Erina...408 as a rank is not impressive...and even if you did rank 1 in every subject, you'd be relying on yourself to top the year with impressive hsc marks.

If you think you can get top 3 at Asquith I'd go for that...but obviously, Turramurra is the highest ranked, and if you can top those you'd be set for 95+...but that'd be a lot of work cause you're against better competition in your cohort.

Just a reminder that that rank of 408 was last year's rank and between about 150 and the tail the ranks can change drastically each year. e.g. the school where I teach dropped from 180ish to 480ish last year but our overall UAIs were about the same (we had fewer Band 6s but a heap more Band 5s and high Band 5s at that such so the UAIs over 90 stayed about the same in number and %). We would expect to rise this year back into the top 200 just on the back of one or two students who we expect to go close to getting Band 6 in most subjects.

cheney31

HSC
i think its prob. not a good idea to attend a 400ish ranking school and do 4u math.. coz its the subject that u really need to discuss with students of similar ability to u and i think little people will be able to do this with u in a low-ranking school
plus. u r much more in risk as u will be ranked first and so ahead of ur mates so that ur HSC depends on ur external only..

just my suggestion.. and trust me.. if u do well in ext 2 math it will contribute the most to ur uai most likely.. coz it scales so well

T

Troy2287

cem said:
Just a reminder that that rank of 408 was last year's rank and between about 150 and the tail the ranks can change drastically each year. e.g. the school where I teach dropped from 180ish to 480ish last year but our overall UAIs were about the same (we had fewer Band 6s but a heap more Band 5s and high Band 5s at that such so the UAIs over 90 stayed about the same in number and %). We would expect to rise this year back into the top 200 just on the back of one or two students who we expect to go close to getting Band 6 in most subjects.
I doubt you'll rise back into the top 200 based on the performance of "one or two" students..

shuning

HSC
Troy2287 said:

well, so this means im basiclly chosing between turramurra and Asuqith Boys then.

my analysis of my current suituation:
even if i try really hard my ranking in Turramurra would only be ranking the top 20ish ( out of 60 ppl? )

Asquith Top3 shouldnt be much of a problem.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
shuning said:

Math ext 2
Physics
Economics

thanks
Shuning
come to peters!

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Troy2287 said:
I doubt you'll rise back into the top 200 based on the performance of "one or two" students..

If you can drop 300 places by getting 6 fewer Band 6s and expect to get those 6 Band 6s back then you can rise that number of places.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)