Which Year 11 & 12 Economics Textbook? (1 Viewer)

Tintin5

HSC
Hello all. My son is in year 10 and is exploring his option for subject choices for next year. Someone told him that it would help if he read the year 11 and12 textbooks for his potential choices. He is thinking of Economics as one of them. What is the name of the current text book that I can get for him to read...also, are there 2 books - one for yr 11 and one for yr 12? Or do you use the same textbook for both years? It would be great if he read both (if there are two). Thank you very much.

Sp3ctre

HSC
There are many different economics textbooks published by different people, if he knows who his economics teacher will be for next year then he should ask the teacher what textbook he/she plans to be using. There will be one textbook for year 11 and one for year 12, but I wouldn't recommend getting him to read all of the year 11 textbook straight away, let alone read both the year 11 and year 12 textbooks. Economics has a LOT of content which needs to be covered, and I think letting him read the first few chapters of the year 11 textbook would be a sufficient enough head start for next term. There will also be concepts which he will most likely not have come across before and understand, so I personally think that reading too much at this stage isn't necessarily going to be helpful.

Lumenoria

HSC
Which Year 11 & 12 Economics Textbook?

I'm in my prelim year, this is the book we (along with most schools I know) use. He might not necessarily retain the information effectively though because most of the concepts he will not have heard of before. I would also recommend you ask him to read through the syllabus outline aswell, as it provides a brief idea of the topics which will be assessed during the prelim/HSC years. All the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tintin5

HSC
Thank you Sp3ctre. The syllabus will be a new one next year apparently, so I he is happy just getting a taste of how it was this year or last year...did you do Economics in year 11? If so, what was the book you used? You are right - he shouldn't need to read the year 12 book :)

Tintin5

HSC
Re: Which Year 11 & 12 Economics Textbook?

Thanks Lumenoria! That photo is very helpful..I will try to source him a copy from the library. All the best!

Tintin5

HSC
Re: Which Year 11 & 12 Economics Textbook?

Also, where do I find the Syllabus outline?

Sp3ctre

HSC
Thank you Sp3ctre. The syllabus will be a new one next year apparently, so I he is happy just getting a taste of how it was this year or last year...did you do Economics in year 11? If so, what was the book you used? You are right - he shouldn't need to read the year 12 book :)
Oh I wasn't aware of the syllabus changes. Yeah, I did economics last year and used the same book that Lumenoria is using. Also I agree that reading through the syllabus points will definitely help.

Lumenoria

HSC
Also, just letting you know that the syllabus change next year is only applicable for English, mathematics, science and history courses — economics will not be affected by this change, if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeorgeYLin

HSC
I used mostly the Dixon textbook, it offers very clear explanations. But I also owned the Riley textbook, which goes into more depth.

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
For HSC 2019 the syllabus doesnt change for the social sciences or PDHPE (from memory)

Kolmias

HSC
Hi mate,

Microeconomics on Khan Academy and Crash Course Economics would both be good for him understanding the concepts before he starts.

asKim

HSC
Dont really know why you would spend money on a textbook whren he can search main concepts of economic syllabus' online rather than wasting money. But if you insist, Pearson & John Mahonney or Riley text books are good :)

Sent from my HTC_0PKX2 using Tapatalk

feeah

HSC
most schools use the dixon or riley textbooks

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

eko367

HSC
Hi,
I am currently in year 12 and use the Tim Dixon and John O'Mahony Australia in the Global Economy, which is set by my school. I also used the Market Economy prelim textbooks by the same authors (but different textbook). I would recommend this textbook because it is quite broad and definitely has a lot of information and statistics (useful for essays). They have a new version of the textbook come out every year with minor changes to the statistics, so I would recommend maybe buying one second hand as his school might require them to use the new versions. However, I also used 'Creative Economics' in Yr 11 which had great techniques on how to memorize certain topics (because some are very content heavy). It was also good, but probably more of a second resource to use after reading the Dixon and O'Mahony ones.

Hope this helps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)