who agrees with brave new world? (1 Viewer)

victor..cleaner

cleaner
HSC
who here honestly believes that the society depicted in brave new world is actually a utopia? i cringe when i hear my stupid hippy, 'open-to-change-even-though-i'm-fifty' teacher refer to it as dystopic.

what has been created is a society in which happiness is the norm, people do not suffer, they embrace the social work ethic and endevour to provide for the state. whilst at the same time they can indulge in a number of pleasures, which are socially acceptable.

but i still find myself arguing with god damn art-fags who's argument consists of: "where is your freedom?" as if that is suppose to matter to someone who has a stable job, they're emotionally balanced, satisfied and simply doesn't have to deal with all the shitty elements of out present day society.

thoughts, anyone? or are you all too busy hugging your 'freedom of thought'?

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Assuming your talking about In the Wild...... so think about Bladerunner. What is it to be human? Personally, we seek constantly to better ourselves, to improve on our situation, to learn and grow (this is also my main argument for Journeys funny enough). The humans in Brave New World have no chance to do so. They are stable, sure. But are they "happy". I think they are merely content. Their conditioning does not allow for freedom of thought, movement, or anything else. And yes, humans have always yearned to be free. A pampered slave of a rich noble is still a slave.
So yes, while it is depicted on the surface of a Utopia, it is a dystopia. I'd rather be arty farty and human.

PS is that Elliott? :p Just the birthday, the reference to the 50 yo hippy etc.....

Last edited:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I haven't read it..

but personally, i would never want to be satisfied yet confined to mediocrity, obviously it suits some people though ;-)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
err

Not utopian for me.

Id like to enjoy my music the non feely way :)
Id like to be able to think freely..that way i can prescribe my own hate and prejudices, its no fun when you are implanted with it.
Id like to make sure i aint fucking around when im 5-6 years old, i dont know about you but it isnt my cup of tea.
Id enjoy pain and happiness, these people dont know happiness or pain, they know what they have been taught. Conditioning doesnt allow for you to know anything else, so i ask you, is it really happiness if you do not know what pain feels like? is it really sadness if you have never loved ?

just a few things to counter your non dystopic view but as things are everythings is subjective and everyone allowed their opinion, something which you wouldnt have the privilige of in that society.

pw86

In Brave New World, it presents John the savage as an outcast to the society. However, we as the responders perceive Brave New World as a dystopia because the characters of the state lack of individuality and freedom of thoughts.

Although, it is a dystopia but was it really necessary for John to suicide? I think John was going to extreme and it was a petty death.

I don't find death as a solution and i don't see how it can satisfy John unless is really obsessed with religious beliefs.

Basically i also agree about where our society is heading but the bit about John's suicide sounds ridculous to me.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
i would rather embrace death than live a life not worth living

pw86

Well, i think that just means you're afraid of living with problems and so you hopelessly give up on dealing with it. That is, an individual who is ultimately defeated and a cowardice.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by victor..cleaner
who here honestly believes that the society depicted in brave new world is actually a utopia? i cringe when i hear my stupid hippy, 'open-to-change-even-though-i'm-fifty' teacher refer to it as dystopic.

what has been created is a society in which happiness is the norm, people do not suffer, they embrace the social work ethic and endevour to provide for the state. whilst at the same time they can indulge in a number of pleasures, which are socially acceptable.
Yes, but this 'happiness' is created through artificial means, so that it is more a societal construct designed to prevent revolt rather than a true, free sentiment. I think John puts it best when he states I'd rather have no happiness at all than the false lying happiness you have.

The 'socially acceptable' pleasures are only as such within a dystopic construction. These are another example of standards of happiness being created and controlled by the state, a truly hegemonal relation.

Society without freedom creates an autocratic (Although BNW is more oligarchal) stasis, which is of course Huxley's point. Are the 'benefits' of the Brave New World worth the enormous, permanent relinquishment of free will? I think not. (In my opinion.)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Depends whether you're interested in "claiming the right to be unhappy".

theoretically, as I've been studying for an in the wild assessment all day, I should have a lot to say. but thinking makes my brain hurt.

budj

HSC
I dont see whats wrong with Brave New world. Its over ridden with happiness, though false. Human's always quest to achieve hapiness in whatever we do. I don't see anything wrong with Brve New World.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Im liking it although Im only partially through, I want some soma :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)