who believes religion is out dated (1 Viewer)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
moll, im an athiest.

i just dont think religion is going anywhere. people NEED to believe - they crave the certainty that faith and religon offers them in a world that, more than ever, is changing and uncertain.
See my posts on non-aligned theism for my views on this. In essence they state that religion can go, without faith and theism going too.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
I said non-aligned theism was acceptable, not ideal. Non-aligned theism doesn't hurt anyone, which is my definition of acceptable when it comes to religion. Of course faith is still ridiculous, but I'd be content with non-aligned theism.
i see

a "generally accepted" meaning of religion (which it isn't rly) and an extremely specific meaning of faith, lol

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
If people are interpreting religious text types and twisting the meaning, then I am as much against them as you are. I was only interested in what the Bible says is a restriction to sex. From some of the things I read in your link, it merely stated events in which people had sex...They do not say that God condemns sex or this type of sexual position or masturbating etc. (Please find one for me)
On your point about adulterers, the Bible does say You shall not commit adultery. I am therefore against adultery. I know I am not the only person against adultery and therefore I believe it is not outdated.

In my other post, I was refering to what do you believe christians believe will happen to them when they break a commandment?
But if they're using the Bible to justify their beliefs, then shouldn't you be of the same view as them? After all, the Bible is the infallible Word of God.
Yes, adultery is of questionable morals in most cases. But one must question even this moral absolutism upon the topic, as it does not at all take into account individual circumstances. If a man or woman cheats upon their spouse, why is it that they do? Is it just because they are cruel and do not think of the consequences? Or is it a mutual failure of both parties to work a good marriage and maintain a good sex life? Is it because the other party abuses or mistreats the cheating person? Or, most commonly in the time of writing the Hebrew Bible, is it because the wife was forced into marrying the man by her parents because she is an only an object, and subsequently found solace in the arms of another man?

I don't know what Christians believe when they break a commandment. But frankly, I don't really care, because there's so many different views upon the topic I feel it ridiculous to possibly choose one.

Air Jordan

HSC
But if they're using the Bible to justify their beliefs, then shouldn't you be of the same view as them? After all, the Bible is the infallible Word of God.
1. Not everybody in the Bible was a christian.
2. Not everything that occured in the Bible pleased God.

I don't know what Christians believe when they break a commandment. But frankly, I don't really care, because there's so many different views upon the topic I feel it ridiculous to possibly choose one.
Well I'm quite sure that no christian viewpoint says that if one lies then they are certainly going to go to heaven.

Therefore my original point of the commandments being something we should all follow still holds; even though God knows that nobody will be able to keep all of them for their entire life. Maybe you don't understand what I'm saying =_=.
Take this example. Your parents tell you not to lie even though they know you are going to lie at some point in your life. If they find out that you have lied at some point in your life, they are not going to kill you or kick you out of the house or treat you like your not part of the family.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
1. Not everybody in the Bible was a christian.
2. Not everything that occured in the Bible pleased God.

Well I'm quite sure that no christian viewpoint says that if one lies then they are certainly going to go to heaven.

Therefore my original point of the commandments being something we should all follow still holds; even though God knows that nobody will be able to keep all of them for their entire life. Maybe you don't understand what I'm saying =_=.
Take this example. Your parents tell you not to lie even though they know you are going to lie at some point in your life. If they find out that you have lied at some point in your life, they are not going to kill you or kick you out of the house or treat you like your not part of the family.
Just because not everyone in the Bible was Christian and not everything that happened pleased God, doesn't mean that the interpretations of the words are any less valid. My original point still stands.

But there is a Christian viewpoint which states that God doesn't really care about lying, so you can still go to Heaven and lie all you want without repenting. In fact, most Christians do this anyway, as I highly doubt you specifically asked forgiveness last time you lied.

Yes, I do understand exactly what you're saying. I just find it ridiculous.
It should also be noted that my parents have restrictions upon their actions, because we have a legal system which looks over them and which I could use to claim child abuse or attempted murder. God doesn't have any checks or balances upon his power, so who's to say he can't just do what he feels?
Besides which, your analogy is also flawed because it's not God who deals out the punishment, it the holy men who act as his messengers. So in your analogy it'd be my peers, guided by elder siblings, who met out the punishment to me. And again, where are the checks and balances on the elder siblings power if the parents haven't been been in contact with them for centuries, and instead just left them some vague and general instructions within a storybook? In fact, none of your siblings have even seen your parents, yet still find it reasonable to obey their poorly written and age-old commands.
Of course the above scenario sounds ridiculous. But once we swap the word "parents" for "God" and "siblings" for "holy men", it becomes a societal norm to not question such a scenario.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)