Who calculated the ranks? School/BOS... (1 Viewer)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
dan_viper88 said:
Do you think a 0.5 difference 82.9-83.4 will make a difference in the end? Because my teacher said that 1-8th were very close. Also there was a tie at 4th as well as 6th. Apparently the tie at 4th became 4 and 5th. Does the BOS accept ties. Because my school said their must be a difference between ties, is this true?

I have often had ties, even for first place and I have had no problems from the board.

Think about this - many schools have classes of over 100 students but there are only 100 available marks. How can a school give individual ranks to that many students within that range of marks? Remember that the school only sends in whole raw marks (at least that is all that my school sends in and that is all there is room for on the forms we fill in).

Whether it would make a difference will depend on the final exam marks. If the marks for fifith and sixth on the exam are really close on the exam then it won't matter as they will be close when calculating the final scaled assessment mark.

dan_viper88

HSC
So technically what my school has done is an error. I really should have gotten 6th as opposed to 7th, If they put in whole marks? Because essentially both our whole marks were 83 (82.9mine and 83.4 the other student). Does this sound right?

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
dan_viper88 said:
So technically what my school has done is an error. I really should have gotten 6th as opposed to 7th, If they put in whole marks? Because essentially both our whole marks were 83 (82.9mine and 83.4 the other student). Does this sound right?

That is certainly how I would have sent it in, but your teacher may have decided to separate you by one mark to indicate the 0.5 difference.

Please talk to your teacher and check your school's policy on matter like this if you think this is a major matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)