who did BAD? I mean not 99.95 or 98.25? i mean like 60s? (1 Viewer)

7th Sign

HSC
texta83 said:
I was reading over the thread and couldn't help but notice how stupid this statement was. When I did my HSC i got a UAI of 64. Just enough to get me into that so called bad uni UWS. I finished my degree this year with an average mark of 80 (which is not easy to get at uni). And for those of you who say, yes but UWS is crap, you should now that I have received letters/emails from UNSW, Usyd and ANU to enrol in their honours programme with full scholarships.

My point is good UAI does not equal good at uni. Bad UAI does not equal bad at uni. If you try as hard as you can and have half a brain you will do good at anything you chose. Remember that around 60% of first year students drop out of uni, a large portion of which had excellent UAIs.

thansk man...some good input..

I hate people who are like "LOL UWS is shit grade 10 sc could get you in"

but sucess in life is not determined by UAI :rolleyes:

reprise

freaked said:
Each person is different and just because certain individuals went through 'A LOT' and managed a UAI between 60 and 70 does not mean that others can do the same. especially since going through 'A LOT' could mean absolutley anything and what is considered a lot to you may mean nothing to another.
My daughter was in a psych ward having her bipolar disorder brought under control for the first term of year 12. While pregnant last year, she attempted 3 HSC units and completed 2 (was in labour during the Legal Studies exam), completed the remaining 4 units this year while looking after a baby. Got a band 6 in General Maths and I'm just as proud of her UAI of 62.90 as I would have been had she got a UAI of 90.00 under more favourable circumstances. That she completed her HSC at all is quite an achievement - that she pulled a band 6 is the icing on the cake.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
texta83 said:
I was reading over the thread and couldn't help but notice how stupid this statement was. When I did my HSC i got a UAI of 64. Just enough to get me into that so called bad uni UWS. I finished my degree this year with an average mark of 80 (which is not easy to get at uni). And for those of you who say, yes but UWS is crap, you should now that I have received letters/emails from UNSW, Usyd and ANU to enrol in their honours programme with full scholarships.
What the hell are you talking about? My statement never said that if you got a low uai that you must give up on your aspirations of uni and become a tradeperson. I suggested that uni is not for everyone and that there are other professions which will ensure your financial security and happiness.

I also made no comment about uws?

um...goodluck with your honours.

Last edited:

reprise

Not-That-Bright said:
I think it's sound advice to tell people to think about options other than university.
Absolutely. A massive number of people drop out of university in the first two years of their course and they have no back up plan because they always assumed that going to uni would lead them to their dream job which would bring them peace, love, and happiness.

7th Sign

HSC
reprise said:
Absolutely. A massive number of people drop out of university in the first two years of their course and they have no back up plan because they always assumed that going to uni would lead them to their dream job which would bring them peace, love, and happiness.

true..

I probly just want to go to tafe get some good skills their, build up my skills in the business - marketing area, maby get some part time experience then move to uni hopefully and get into a marketing course :D....then go for a job

rherkes

HSC
Oh no, what i mean by >65 is >65 average mark at university... or greater than a 5.0 gpa.

If you want, you can sign up for some course at uws.... work hard at it for half a year, get a gpa above 5.0, and pwn.
Sorry, I thought you were meaning UAI.
I have quite a few courses in my preferences that are lower than my UAI. I also did one of those multiple entry schemes for Engineering. My second choice actually had a cut off of 67 last year which is lower than my UAI. Fingers crossed I get in to one of the two.
It isn't the end of the world for me...yet! I still have a chance of getting in one of my first two choices and a fairly good chance of getting in a course somewhere. I feel sorry for the people who don't have this.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
No one gives a shit about what your UAI was a year after the HSC anyway. And it's not a decisive indication of how you'll handle further studies. Some people with low HSC performances end up flourishing in uni, and some high achievers crash and drop out. It's a whole new ball game.

Last edited:

rherkes

HSC
Do they look at your UAI when you change between courses or when you have finnished one and want to do another as well?

spillargroove

HSC
I got 68.70 and it was devastating for me. Not really shell-shocked but more really dissapointed. I'm one of the students who should achieve high. But I guess I did not put enough effort. My mum is really dissapointed and she doesn't even know what to tell her friends with their kids achieving high. She even said to me, "Whilst I was shopping, I heard a few parents talking about their kid getting high 80's" and then she said, "I think my son will have enough" in her mind.

It really gives me the incentive to work harder to prove I'm worth something to her.

cataleptic

HSC
abhyash said:
btw the UAI calculation system sucks if i actually did get 49 because i got 85/100 for gen maths and i feel proud of it
You should feel proud. There's nothing wrong with that mark at all.

spillargroove

HSC
It's not the end of the road entirely. Of course there are many mitigating factors in which you can't be decisive at this moment but the Universities acknowledge many first year students do decide to leave so in mid-year they have the mid-year in takes like at UTS. It's not too late but I think for that, you have to be within reason to get in (good UAI).

chellzi

HSC
Hi....
I don't think you're being entirely fair. Uni can be attempted by anyone no matter what the uai. In the end everyone that ends up there obviously earned the place because they have been offered it. I ended up with a uai of 80.1 and everyones probably thinking it doesn't even matter to me because i could get in anyway but I was extremely unwell during year 12 and my doctors were trying to convince me to drop out at the beginning and I know if I'd have been well I could've been capable of 90+. What I'm trying to say is I've experienced the real difficulties of year 12 and know that lots of people are capable of getting into uni and coping with it even if their uai doesn't indicate that they are extremely smart. Everyone can go to uni if they really want to. Its when people don't want to go to uni and go anyway that people really struggle with it so if you are really determined go for it!

7th Sign

HSC
man soo many mates are getting killed in uais :|

like 30s,40s,50s all marks like this

spillargroove

HSC
I think you need to complete one full year at UWS and you need a Credit average or higher. The University you want to transfer to will advise you and look at your score and maybe your work.

Famine

HSC
WTF, I do all scaled up courses averaging 75, and my UAI is scaled down..... 68.85 wtf??

Lundy

Banned
HSC
anita_wax said:
holy fuck my lowest mark was 72 overall and my uai is 62
Academic Programme:
english standard, general maths, IT(vet), IPT, PD/H/PE, SOR 1

Yeah, low scaling subjects = ouch. You should be happy with your individual marks anyway.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
people are stupid 7th, whoever told you 'uni is not for u' is a retard

60's can mean your smart but you just werent motivated or were lazy but you are capable

i got in 60's and i have a credit average at UWS, the USYD people may say 'lol thats still crap' but hey, do they know everything? no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)