• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

who did YOU end up with? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I can't believe I'm going to wade into this argument, but here goes:

Melby, my school (and I'm assuming Nat's was similar) only had ~70 in the graduating class. Of that ~70, ~30 went to uni. The others are either working full time or doing tafe/trade apprentices.
For example, a few of the guys are doing motor mechanic apprenticeships. If your car breaks down, you certainly need someone to fix it, and that someone certainly doesn't need a uni degree.
People away from prestigious schools and big cities have different values and priorities. Uni isn't for everyone, and if everyone in my grade had gone to uni I can guarentee most of them would have dropped out before the HECS census date of semester one.
Uni is meant to teach us how to interact with people from all different backgrounds, whether that be race, creed, socio-economic, or something totally different. It seems USYD is failing you there.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
My school will do pretty poorly, a few will go to CSU, I know of a few going to canberra unis, UC, ANU. But otherwise there will be <5 going to the more prestigious unis the Go8 ones. So I highly doubt I will have contact greater then the occasional MSN

Last edited:

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
i don't see a lot of people from high school around

i go to unsw, my best friend goes to usyd and we've talked more on msn and the phone this year than we've seen each other

ive spent most of this year hanging around with randoms and talking to my high school compadres when i see them

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
OK melby, how did you manage to turn a thread about high school friendship in to another of your prestige debates? Your personal insecurities are quite apparent as you seem to need to prop yourself up by mentioning the "prestige" of your school and/or uni in every post you make.

I went to a public school and I am proud of it. When I was younger I used to wish I went to one of those wonderful private schools.... but coming to uni and meeting some of these people who have had their heads in the sand for the past 6 years made me realize that it isn't all it is cracked up to be. I have a lot more real world knowledge than some of these people and am able to relate to people across different social classes.... I can get along with these private school yuppies as well as "westies" (which is what I heard one of the girls in my class referring to people as) because at my school we had a mixture of everyone. I got in to the degree I wanted to do.... I learnt all the skills I needed to learn at school to equip me for life. And I am happy. If you are happy and content with yourself why do you feel the need to bag out other people's unis and schools?

Plus, most of my year didn't go to uni. But in a place like Albury, degrees aren't that necessary. Heaps of them have got good jobs.... apprenticeships in trades, office jobs, jobs in childcare, etc. And do you know what? Heaps of them will be earning a hell of a lot more than most of you people will be when you graduate within a year or two (including me... cadet journos get paid shit all). Uni isn't the be all and end all and going to university does not make you a better person. The quicker you realize that, the quicker you will stop sounding like a pretentious wanker who everyone will be rolling their eyes at for the rest of your life.

Generator

HSC
N/A
natstar, ignore it! The only reason that people constantly press the anti-UWS line is because you never fail to take the bait. Melbournian isn't the only one who should grow up.

Most of my mates from school are/were at USyd, so that has been both a pro (remained good friends) and a con (did not try and seek new friends as actively as I hoped).

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Melbourne High School can kiss my ass. Because no matter how great it may think it is, it's still in Melbourne.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Prestigiousness means fuck all except a bloated ego. It does ugly things to people.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
melbournian said:
Until you have lived in both cities, I'd shutup.
Similar could be said about you comparing USYD and UWS.

Generator

HSC
N/A
natstar said:
Why are u just telling me to ignore it.. There is about 6 posts above that are in response to Melbournians bullshit.
Surely by now you have noticed that he tends to only make those comments with reference to what you say? If you ignored what he has to say there would be no need for other members to leap to your defence and he would eventually stop looking for a response.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
melbournian said:
Right.....good logic there knob.....
Victoria actually has a hell of a lot better schools than Sydney does.

Until you have lived in both cities, I'd shutup.
Victoria most certainly does Not have better schools than Sydney. I mean seriously, this is a city without a single bloody hill, where you turn into the left lane to make a right turn.

I don't see how my statements are any different to you insulting UWS. Because you not only insult UWS as a learning institution, but also the people who go there. My mother went there! Do you honestly believe that you're better than my mother because you go to USYD? Believe me, USYD ain't that big a deal. USYD is stuck in the fucking dark ages, it still has laminated paper student cards while UWS and every other fucking university has had plastic ones for the last few years.

And at least UWS also doesn't have little snobs like you. USYD is worse for having you as a student.

Generator

HSC
N/A
natstar said:
I wouldent say they are defending me. Im sure they have their own issues with what he says. Anyway these arguments tend to be entertaining, especially considering how bored i am at the mom, he always ends up looking like an idiot
It seems to me that you also end up looking like an idiot.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Forster is a beautiful place. And so is Western Sydney. Sydney happens to be the Capital City of NSW, of which both Forster and Western Sydney are part of.

Not to mention I happen to Live in Western Sydney, not far from Natstar in fact. Does that make me less of a person than somebody who lives in Double Bay, or somebody who lives on the USYD Campus? Because you seem to think that location and position are all so important. Here's a lesson for you, melbournian: they aren't important.

People like you make the USYD student body look bad, and I for one am ashamed that you attend USYD. You're probably one of those pricks who voted for that prick who ran for undergrad senator on the basis that "I am a former Knox Grammar student" and is therefore inherantly a better person than somebody who went to Girraween High School.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
That's the other problem with you. Instead of addressing the arguments, you completely avoid them, pretending they were never brought up. You should run an Action ticket for SRC. Because the Diversity ticket sure don't want you.

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
And maybe you should get one yourself, and stop trying to justify yourself by insulting anybody who didn't go to an up-themselves high school, or who goes to a university like UWS.

The fact is that we're not better as people just because we're USYD students. There's pride in the university. And then there are people like you, who tie their entire self-worth to the value of the learning institutions they attend.

If I had chosen to take my offers to study Horticulture or Music at UWS, it wouldn't make me any more or less of a person than I am now, studying Music at the Conservatorium. People who attend UWS are not inferior to those of us who attend USYD, and as soon as you realise that, maybe you might actually find some meaning in your sad, pathetic life.

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
melbournian said:
unless you like package deal homes...is not beautiful.
As opposed to an entire house so small it would fit into my bathroom?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
melbournian said:
Think you answered your own question :D
So if I live in an area that I would describe as worse then western Sydney then next year live on campus (I chose SUV but I could have gone to a college if I really wanted to) I would suddenly not be scum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)