Who do you think is the Greatest Australian Prime Minister? (1 Viewer)

torrentperson

HSC
_dhj_ said:
Why don't you ask the expert on who breeds hysteria and the circumstances in which they breed. Seriously Howard is a genius. Conservative governments around the world take lessons from his spin-doctors.
This is a characteristic of politics in general, on both left and right. Party politicians are the ultimate partisans, and it suits their purpose to claim that the other side is dangerous. History suggests they don't actually think it. After Keating won the 1994 election, he called Hewson and told him that, despite full-throated criticism of him in the campaign as a Scrooge, indeed a "feral abacus", he actually admired him a great deal. Likewise, we expect Rudd to say Howard has done "great damage" to the nation, and for Howard to imply that Labor would drive the economy of a cliff if it were put behind the wheel; but both men are too clever to genuinely think something so crude.

Next time you reply, rather than clumsily evading the question, please explain why you think Howard is evil, and also why people who disagree with your political views can't simply be wrong, but must also be malevolent and sinister.

banco55

HSC
torrentperson said:
I should add that Whitlam, despite his good ideas, was fabulously inept at actually running the country. If you really think he's t3h b3st pr1m3 m1n1star evar!!!1, you're ignorant.
I was going to say something similar. Of course he was ill served by his cabinet all of whom were seemingly economically illiterate. By the way it's easy to do a lot of the stuff Gough did (ie free tertiary education etc.) if you don't worry too much about how it is going to be paid for. The introduction of benefits for single parents was probably one of hte most damaging things any australian government has ever done.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
torrentperson said:
Next time you reply, rather than clumsily evading the question, please explain why you think Howard is evil, and also why people who disagree with your political views can't simply be wrong, but must also be malevolent and sinister.
Howard is evil because I've always imagined him to be. Honestly I don't give a stuff about his actual intentions as it's impossible to read another's mind - it's impossible to ascertain whether Hitler was merely doing what he thought was right (I hate using this example but we are talking about "evil"). You should understand that the idiots are those who attempt to conceal their prejudices and irrationality behind the facade of logical discourse.

Nousiainen

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
* Only prime minister stupid enough to get fired.
Incorrect.

*Only prime minister to have a Governor General stupid enough to fire him. ;)

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Menzies with Fraser and Curtin a distant second

Whitlam, Hawke, Keating all a bunch of Labor idiots, thank god they're the past and their party is rightfully regarded as the joke it is today.

cowface

HSC
In the last 50 years I'd say:

Social Policy: Whitlam
Economic Policy: Keating (as Treasurer & PM)

Apart from the GST, Howard seems like a lame pragmatist.

ZabZu

HSC
bshoc said:
Whitlam, Hawke, Keating all a bunch of Labor idiots, thank god they're the past and their party is rightfully regarded as the joke it is today.
Economic reform under the Hawke/Labor governments is a significant factor why the Australian economy hasnt had a recession since 1991 and why inflation (and hence interest rates) is low today.

Howard has continued what the Labor governments started.

Last edited:

banco55

HSC
ianc said:
Gough Whitlam because he made university FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah great so the baby boomers could spend 5 years getting a degree and smoking pot while our generation end up up to our necks in HECS debt and ready to pay for the baby boomers retirement when we graduate from uni.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Paul Keating for me. He was a great bloke who was a treasurer-turned-PM.

The Hawke-Keating government from 1983 to 1996 saw huge economic reforms and started this long-going economic growth we've got today.

Second would be Bob Hawke. I just love his beer-drinkin', women-lovin', cigar-smokin', sport-watchin' personality.

Fraser and Whitlam would also be right at the top of my list.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Mr. Whitlam, if only for his sweeping social reforms. Also, I hear he used to disrespect religion on a daily basis, by thanking the members of parliament for their prayers before each parliamentary session. It's a pity we don't have such charismatic, and hilarious leaders trying to become Prime Minister at the next election (Latham v Costello would be the most entertaining election build up of all time).

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
You're right, Latham vs Costello would be great!

Last edited:

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Sparcod said:
Neb- I'm surprised that you didn't name a Labor PM!

You're right, Latham vs Costello would be great!
Regardless of his party, Whitlam did many good things. At the same time, there has been many mediocre Labor leaders. A great man is not determined by his party.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Sorry, he DID name a Labor PM. My mistake. I was thinking about Malcolm at the time when I was reading that.

Last edited:

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Sparcod said:
Sorry, he DID name a Labor PM. My mistake. I was thinking about Malcolm at the time when I was reading that.
Haha I did exactly the same thing after reading your post.

I love uni holidays when my brain shuts down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)