• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Who does very well in english and doesn't read at all? (1 Viewer)

FinalFantasy

HSC
i would like to be able to read too.. but every time i pick up a book i fall asleep quite soon....

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
FinalFantasy said:
i would like to be able to read too.. but every time i pick up a book i fall asleep quite soon....
word to that!

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
HSC English is more logic than either creative or literary rendering both reading of prescribed texts and private reading a waste of time.

hasterz

HSC
english advanced is all about regurgitating stuff from class, having a good memory, and writing fast. With all the study guides and essays available its a subject in which you dont really need to think for yourself.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.................i didnt read a single page of Emma.....or King Lear...........and i got 87..... :p

edit: by no means am i saying dont read ur texts...but my english teacher was really cool and printed off booklets for us with all the info we needed....so we didnt need to read anything.....

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
My stupid friend didnt read any of the texts and that stupid fucker got 86!!

K

katie_tully

I don't believe anybody who says they didnt read their texts yet got really good marks.
We've been told to read each text up to 4 or 5 times, so that we know which character says what, so we know the techniques... Pretty much so that we know the book like the back of our hand.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Ideally, I should have read the texts a few times but I just couldnt be stuffed unless it was a book I liked and wanted to read anyway. Once was enough for me.

K

katie_tully

A cheats way of knowing the text by only reading it once is to take copious notes when you actually do read it. Post it notes on important pages saves you going back and re-reading it to find them. I find this helps in ext, because most of the stuff I've gotta read for RFTG is horrid and makes me want t spontaneously combust.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I finished with 87. Read BNW once, watched bladerunner about 3 times, read King Lear once and watched different versions heaps, watched Frontline times for each episode. In the end the only thing i had a clue about was Frontline so i just memorised an essay for each module and wrote it in the exam.

firehose

HSC
english in senior school is more like philosophy..... all english skills are done in junior school......

what i don't get is that while english is not potentially mind-boggling (like harder maths subjects and science), why do so less ppl get the top band in it??? : :(

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
firehose said:
english in senior school is more like philosophy..... all english skills are done in junior school......

what i don't get is that while english is not potentially mind-boggling (like harder maths subjects and science), why do so less ppl get the top band in it??? : :(
1. because many people don't pay attention in junior school and so don't ahve the skills they should have learned
2. because people tend to think that if they read a crib that suddenly they will be able to write a brilliant essay...even though basically every other person sitting the exam will have read this same material.
3. English should rely on you actually having to think for yourself, rather than just regurgitate material. People who don't try and understand texts for themselves but rely on what everyone else tells them is true have trouble showing individual insight into the text.

modelzsuck

Kylie
HSC
Yeah last year we did Pride and Prejudice and bridget Jones Diary for Module A and I only read a quarter of the novel and i did pretty good! My friend this year hasnt read her novel for module a which we started on monday(but we had the whole holidays to read the novel) and she says that she isnt going to read it either, which i think is a bit silly seeing as it is the crunch year!

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
english is my 3rd language, following russian and spanish, and ive been in the top 5 every year since yr 7 (i came to australia in yr 5). i used to read an insane amounts of books (ie in the shower and on the toilet), but now i just dont have the time, id rather spend it with my friends.
some school texts i have been able to bullshit, others not. i struggle with shakespeare quite a bit, its my weakness, especially when we did The Merchant of Venice. woah, that went straight over my head.
i think what separates the good students from the best, (i think its extremely easy to achieve a band 5 in english, the challenging part of the course is band 6), is the wider use of vocabulary, sophistication, and the ability to sound succint while still making all valid points supported by textual evidence.

a8o

HSC
hasterz said:
english advanced is all about regurgitating stuff from class, having a good memory, and writing fast. With all the study guides and essays available its a subject in which you dont really need to think for yourself.
Correct; there must be marks given for independent thought!

tennille

HSC
I don't think it is necessary to be a wide reader to go well in english. I know some people who dont read at all and managed to get a band 6. Reading widely has nothing to do with how well you'll go in HSC english, since HSC english is based on specific texts and work from class. But wide reading would help with the choosing of supplementary texts for area of study and module B. I think practicing essays and all is more valuable than wide reading.

Last edited:

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
silvermoon said:
mmm, i agree too.
but dude...you read in the shower?! even I think that that's taking it a bit too far...not even good for the books ;)
i know i know! i mastered the skill of juggling the book from hand to hand around the shower head. but unfortunately the humidity means that the pages of the book still go wavy. :p

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
yeah, its been years since ive read a book 'for fun' (bad thing...i know), i didn't read my hsc texts either and i pulled a band 6, as long as you can grasp points, with techniques/evidence to back them up and explain their effect, you're set and there's plenty of sources given to you at school and on the internet which can tell you gist of most hsc texts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)