Who get's 90%? (1 Viewer)

the_archduke

I'd just liek to know, is there anyone out there who constantly gets 90% (or even 80%) in Chemistry with ease? How hard do you find it compared to all the other usual subjetcs ie. Maths, English, Physics, Biology? I hope I'm not the only one struggling...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I constant get 90+% with ease.

Chemistry is just like the HSC sciences you need to learn the dot points and be able to write them to the verbs given.

Your not the only one struggling but if you can learn to write to the verbs and memorise alot of information it becomes easy.

cj_bridle

HSC
a lot of my class finds it very difficult duke.. just remember its all relative u might have a hard marking teacher.. just wait and see what u get for the trial.. (if u did an outside paper).

theres heaps of people who feel its hard... not all of us are xayma's :p

practice practice practice

nomz

chemistry is considered one of the hardest subjects at HSC level, and while I average about 90% I don't find it easy. It scales really well, so don't give up. Do lots of practice papers, and know all your formulas, and how to balance equations etc. Most people in my class average around 60% and we were told that would scale to high 70's... is that true does anyone know?

cj_bridle

HSC
obviously it depends on a lot of factors.. but generally yes nook.. that is true.. approximately.

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
ive got an average assessment mark of 96% :cool:

chem really isnt that hard, i find that doing test paper after test paper is the best way of studying for chem, that way u learn every Q they can ask

jam3s

Radiation Therapist
On soccer fields, In KFC, At uni, At clubs, and in
HSC
N/A
i get above 90% for all my chem tests and asses but not sure about the cssc trials, yes definily wouldn;t get that high but still iget kicked by these other 2 guys who done chem last year, 1 who got band 6 and other high band 5 so they kinda pissing me off. always kicking my ass.

jam3s

Radiation Therapist
HSC
N/A
Tommy_Lamp said:
ive got an average assessment mark of 96% :cool:

chem really isnt that hard, i find that doing test paper after test paper is the best way of studying for chem, that way u learn every Q they can ask
i did like 4 test papers few days before my chem trial but it was kinda diffrent damn it :mad:

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
ive done about 20 test papers since june, best way for me at least. obviously there not gonna have identical questions as ur test, but alot will be similar and it also helps by testing your knowledge

jam3s

Radiation Therapist
HSC
N/A
Tommy_Lamp said:
ive done about 20 test papers since june, best way for me at least. obviously there not gonna have identical questions as ur test, but alot will be similar and it also helps by testing your knowledge
wow 20 test papers thats lot i hardly do any i still get good marks. prob not as good ur urs. but wth i am not aiming for 95+

gershy

Well for starters people who get 90% would know that there is no apostrophe in gets when it is a verb.

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
not necessarily, english is very different to chemistry (tho with the new crappy syllabi its pretty close :p )

Last edited:

Enigmatic Eve

HSC
Ehh...
For chemistry, assessments I manage to do well (~90's), but it comes to exams like my half yearly, I make so many silly mistakes and score in the 70's. But when I did the Catholics trials, I think I performed well in it (well, I hope so!!). I enjoy Chemistry though... finding it more interesting than Physics.
My friend, who is doing Biology, also has the same problem. She's hardworking, and does all her practicals, and can memorise all the syllabus dot points, but when it comes to exams, she scores only 70's.

Steven12

Lord Chubbington
HSC
i find that hard to believe, i mean i can understand if its calculations. but if you can remember the dot points. there shouldnt be any SILLY mistakes? like what? misspelling?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
It is not about memorising dot points. To get high marks, you need to be able to apply your knowledge to new suituation. This goes for in uni sciences too.

For example: I score 72 Credit in chemistry purely by memorising because I don't really understand chem. And I score 87 High Distinction in Biology, by understand and able to apply learned-knowledge to questions they ask you in the exam, without really memorising too hard. I spend more time studying/memorising for chem too...

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
Survivor39 said:
It is not about memorising dot points. To get high marks, you need to be able to apply your knowledge to new suituation. This goes for in uni sciences too.

For example: I score 72 Credit in chemistry purely by memorising because I don't really understand chem. And I score 87 High Distinction in Biology, by understand and able to apply learned-knowledge to questions they ask you in the exam, without really memorising too hard. I spend more time studying/memorising for chem too...

:/ ... i memorised i did alright...
The new syllabus is all about memorising, half of the questions are basically reworded from the syllabus with a few calculation problems. You only have basically one or two integrated questions (calculations + some other stuff) that require applied knowledge but you get that from practise.

Science subjects + memorised syllabus = win :)

well i don't do uni but i assume its true for what you say about uni because uni is uni and hsc is hsc.

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Li0n said:
:/ ... i memorised i did alright...
The new syllabus is all about memorising, half of the questions are basically reworded from the syllabus with a few calculation problems. You only have basically one or two integrated questions (calculations + some other stuff) that require applied knowledge but you get that from practise.

Science subjects + memorised syllabus = win :)

well i don't do uni but i assume its true for what you say about uni because uni is uni and hsc is hsc.
lol. no! uni is 2 times HSC plus 10. :p

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Memorising the dot points isn't as efficient as learning what goes on. However, there are questions that you just have to memorise (such as the contributions of Volta, Davi, Galvani etc in Shipwrecks).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)