Who got 99UAI+ & didn't 'accelerate' in any subject? (2 Viewers)

Mandy101

HSC
Carnivour said:
and your point is that smart people deserve the opportunity of having more time?
what 04er said is exactly right - people who top subjects in year 8/9 are not the whole representation of the "smart people" that have potential, and thus by allowing acceleration, its disadvantaging the other portion of the "smart" people, the "late blossomers" if you like - and that isnt fair. thats my justification of why I think acceleration should not be allowed.
Absolutely agree with you. I didn't put in any effort from year 7-10, but I'm now ranked 1st in three subjects. How you do early on is no way an indication of your ability.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Mandy101 said:
How you do early on is no way an indication of your ability.
Maybe if you don't do work. If someone puts in the time, gets dux of their year and HD's in a number of competitions then this would indicate to me that they have the potential to perform well in the future. It doesn't show that they'll rank so high in year 12/uni etc, given that people don't put in as much effort collectively in early years, but it's silly to say that early performance is no indication of ability.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
for the record, i did no work in yrs 7 to, well, now and i got accelerated. :) it's not always the impossibly high achievers.

ishq

brown?
HSC
Carnivour said:
in light of that comment, whats the point of acceleration?
In my school, it is to give the very bored Yr11's something to do. You'd think they'd enjoy the few terms of freedom like the rest of us mortals. But no.
Our school started this whole acceleration business, seriously, THIS year. A bit shitty.

And they make the maths arena a LOT more competitive.
I'm a tad pissed about ^, like Sphyx, but yeah - as long as they're under me and not closing in, I'm breathing fine.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
I got accelerated in eng and maths in yr 7 because I went to a country school and the people weren't very academically inclined - it was just like banging my head against the wall being in the normal class, although, the yr 8s and 9s weren't much better.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Carnivour said:
in light of that comment, whats the point of acceleration?
what you seem to neglect is that you don't have to be a high achiever to be incredibly fucking smart. many smart people, me included, are notorious underachievers.

so maybe it's about trying to nurture potential

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)