Who got elected onto the union? (1 Viewer)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Unfortunately, your faction will never support affiliated campus secession. They need our fees too much. Perhaps if Labor Left supporters such as yourself were to show support at Caucus for some of my proposals relating to affiliated campuses, then we might have a good start.

For the record, some of these proposals include:

1) Until Secession, At least one seat per affiliated undergraduate campus and clinical site on the SRC, and at least one seat on the Union Board.

2) Moves to facilitate the affiliate campuses to form their own Union and SRC, working closely with students from all affected sites to establish a new governing body. Until the moment we secede, we are still represented by the Union and SRC, and therefore these bodies should be obligated to facilitate the needs of affiliate students - even if that means facilitating secession.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
snakeoils said:
Liberal voters: the 'Fuck Off' tshirts were always targeted more at John Howard and his posse, than any of the student liberal voters. And come on, they had cool blue fluro writing... so fashionable...
regardless, people found them insulting, and those walking around in them look like tools.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
snakeoils said:
Liberal voters: the 'Fuck Off' tshirts were always targeted more at John Howard and his posse, than any of the student liberal voters. And come on, they had cool blue fluro writing... so fashionable...
So if I have tshirts that say "fuck off feministic bitches" it's ok if they are aimed at those women who want feminism without concern for mens rights?

Now, somehow I can see far enough ahead of me to realise that it won't be intepreted that way.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
well actually come to think of it, perhaps I will support secession. I mean, with VSU we won't be getting much money from you guys. Why should we continue to spend it on your campus. If you can organise funding for yourselves and still have social and other support services be my guest. I expect to have a budget worked out on projected figures if I run next year.
If the Con can provide proof that you guys will be able to survive having your own union, I will be more than happy to support your cause.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
jpr333 said:
When it comes to a lot of things women are very immature (eg sex)
actually it's been proven that women mature quicker than men. and anyway, how can u make the generalisation that women are immature in terms of sex? as in fucking? jesus, what planet do u come from?

this is way off topic anyway.

withoutaface said:
regardless, people found them insulting, and those walking around in them look like tools.
:uhhuh: ohhh another round of applause to u justin!

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Andrew, despite all this though, surely the Con, Cumberland and the SCA are still all campuses of the University of Sydney?

I think that regardless of everything, everyone should still be a member of the union (provided we have one next year) because no matter what, you still operate under the University and the students are still students of the University. Even if the amount to be paid is only a token $20 or something.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I think that regardless of everything, everyone should still be a member of the union (provided we have one next year) because no matter what, you still operate under the University and the students are still students of the University. Even if the amount to be paid is only a token $20 or something.
There is no such thing as 'the' union for USyd students as a whole. The Cumberland and SCA students are members of their own student unions, so why is it that the Con students do not have their own, too?

As for everyone crying about the t-shirt, I doubt that it was intended to be the vehicle for an informed critique, so why valid it with these complaints? Besides, is it really that bad, and is it that confronting as to strike you, a Liberal voter, down in the sense that some of you suggest? I'm sure that you have better things to be worrying about, such as how to justify the act of dismantling the country's IR system, so try and move on, if possible :p.

It is a stupid t-shirt, but hardly anything new. I'm sure that in time the new 'fad' will arrive and it will be those currently making the statement who will for some reason be offended. Try and remember that it is the Coalition governing the country at the federal level (and increasingly at what was formerly the state level, it seems), so it isn't as though the 'fuck off, liberal scum' message is something that carries any weight with the greater part of the populace.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The fact remains, though, that Labor Left are continually campaigning against discrimination, even going to the point of stacking the AGM to pass the Affirmative Action amendment, so it makes them look incredibly hypocritical to be wearing a shirt with the express purpose of exerting a reaction from the Liberal students on campus through telling them to fuck off, thereby persecuting them. Now I personally was not insulted by the T-Shirt, although I have given the finger to a few of those wearing it, but based on principle it's a bit stupid for them to be wearing them.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The proposal which my team wishes to pursue in regards to the Con is to amalgamate with the Student Association of the Sydney College of the Arts (SASCA), to form a Union between our two campuses. This is primarily to make use of the fact that SASCA already has an infrastructure to make the transition far easier, but would also allow for greater interaction between Creative arts and Fine arts. If other affiliates wish to join this organisation, I believe that there wouldn't be any problem - and I believe that all the affiliates would benefit. For one thing, all of a sudden instead of being 2.5% of the represented students, we'd be more like 45-50% (depending on which campuses are members).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)