WHO HAS HIT THE FAMOUS "BRICK WALL" (1 Viewer)

countryprincess

HSC
HEY THERE,
i have hit the famous brick wall already infact most of my year has, and we havent even done our trails, if ANY1 has any help for me please let me know
thankyou
countryprincess

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Climb it. :)

Seriously, don't give up. Think positively. You've got a few weeks left to go. All your work will be for naught if you give up now.

You need to look at the heart of the problem. Have you been doing too much study with minimal results? If so, change your study technqiues. I hit this so-called 'wall' in the first two weeks of holidays but I think I'm over it now. I sat down and wrote up a little plan for my self which involved many small portions of revision such that it amounted to a lot, but was varied and in small amounts such that I do not get bored and lose concentration.

Also, part of my problem was that I needed 99 (and really would still love that). Do you have some goal UAI which most of your plans hinge on you receiving, but which you aren't gaurenteed of achieving? If so, you'll need to covince yourself that there are other EQUALLY VALID options and paths for you to follow if you do not get that UAI. Othwerwise you'll probably end up being nervous and worrying about it all the time, which can culminate in this brick wall feeling.

Each person reacts to the HSC and its various stages in their own unique way. So unless you describe your problem in a little more detail, the level of support you receive will likely be minimal (more likely communal sympathy where all the other people who've hit a brick wall bitch and moan about it :p)

Last edited:

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
countryprincess said:
HEY THERE,
i have hit the famous brick wall already infact most of my year has, and we havent even done our trails, if ANY1 has any help for me please let me know
thankyou
countryprincess
My teacher told me that it's always at this time of year when students go into a "slump". :p

It could just be that after three terms of assessments, pressure and stress, you feel like you've had enough. Think of it as that guy on Guinness World Records who holds his breath under water. It's the last 30 seconds that takes the most effort, but if he can keep holding it, he'll achieve something. There are only 91 days till the HSC (I'm sorry if that reminder punches you in the face, it gives me a black eye every time I look at it), so you don't have long to go. It's good and bad - you need to really start revising hard, but there's only a matter of days until it's all over. Surely you'd rather grit your teeth and put in the effort now, so that you can celebrate without regret later? :)

It's really annoying to sit down and study for a few hours, I know. :( If you've been reading one line over and over again:
  • It sounds silly, but just go for a walk, or just stand outside. Fresh air can do wonders.
  • Switch subjects every now and then to refresh your mind.
  • Don't time yourself. It's not about how long you study, it's about what you study. Set yourself some homework and finish it before taking a break - for example, do past papers.
  • With subjects like math and sciences, do a lot of practise questions.
  • Take breaks when you feel like you really need it. Push yourself, but don't force your nose to stay in the textbook if you know your mind isn't there.

Good luck. Don't we all need it. :(

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
We don't need good luck because our skill will pull us through without it! :p

adambra

HSC
countryprincess said:
HEY THERE,
thankyou
countryprincess
Yep about to hit it in a week or so, I can sense the impact. And I wasn't even going that fast...

EDIT: Shouldn't it be infamous?

Last edited:

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Slide Rule said:
We don't need good luck because our skill will pull us through without it! :p
Hehe, yeah, I don't really believe in luck either. But then again, with such little skill, I have no choice but to try get on luck's good side. :p

kim_

Slide Rule said:
Climb it. :)

Seriously, don't give up. Think positively. You've got a few weeks left to go. All your work will be for naught if you give up now.

You need to look at the heart of the problem. Have you been doing too much study with minimal results? If so, change your study technqiues. I hit this so-called 'wall' in the first two weeks of holidays but I think I'm over it now. I sat down and wrote up a little plan for my self which involved many small portions of revision such that it amounted to a lot, but was varied and in small amounts such that I do not get bored and lose concentration.

Also, part of my problem was that I needed 99 (and really would still love that). Do you have some goal UAI which most of your plans hinge on you receiving, but which you aren't gaurenteed of achieving? If so, you'll need to covince yourself that there are other EQUALLY VALID options and paths for you to follow if you do not get that UAI. Othwerwise you'll probably end up being nervous and worrying about it all the time, which can culminate in this brick wall feeling.

Each person reacts to the HSC and its various stages in their own unique way. So unless you describe your problem in a little more detail, the level of support you receive will likely be minimal (more likely communal sympathy where all the other people who've hit a brick wall bitch and moan about it :p)
i agree thats so true dont give up

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
I'm working towards noon, November 11 :D

FinalFantasy

HSC
read the quote here:
"If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you've already got. If you keep reading and studying the way you currently are, you will achieve the same amount a year from now. In order to move forward, we must change."

u need change!

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Jago said:
I'm working towards noon, November 11 :D
November the 4th for me. :p

Oh my god... I just felt something weird after saying that. Is it normal to be excited about the HSC? :confused:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
2nd here. And then... November, December, January, February... 4 whole months of blissful freedom. Oh yeah baby.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
yep 4 months of freedom....then I can finally have my 18th, start working, relax, bludge without feeling guilty read the new harry potter and all the other books i wanna read, see some movies....oh i cant wait

FinalFantasy

HSC
Gavrillo said:
November 11th, the end of the Great War...
wow gavrillo ur results look impressive, and considering the 101 english advanced students it's probably a good school too!

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
gav is that sig thing for motivation or true results? cause i remember you doing that for hscv results as well.

yes i am burnt out or burning otu from study ><"

my motivation is running low and yes i am in a slump. but as is seen in every year, i tend to pick it up this time every year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)