Who hasnt made up their mind? (1 Viewer)

Winn

HSC
At the start of the year I knew I wanted to do engineering, but wasn't sure which branch, and somehow convinced myself that I would know for sure before the end of the year.
Well, that didn't happen. I'm still indecisive as hell. Tossing up between electrical/mechatronic/civil.
Yet my coop interviews are for BIT and photovoltaics...
SHOOT ME.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
mee!!!

i have my pro's and con's about all my courses... im the most indecisive person EVER i swear.

first pref is pharmacy @ usyd, and thats only if i can:
a) get my stat registration in 2moro
b) get the 92.60 ATAR for it

im just kinda concerned about the job prospects though.

then ill probably just apply for science/commerce @ macq and yeah, even though i have my reservations about commerce.

arrrgh i need a sign!! lol
oooohh you only need 92.60 for pharmacy? thinking of changing my preferences. and doing a last-minute STAT.

can't decide between pharmacy & psych.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
hmmm... well if u do language, maybe you can be an international actuary? meaning more job prospects? do a language like mandarin or cantonese... china's economy is growing i hear, meaning more businesses, meaning more actuaries needed...... right?

lol i have no idea sorry.
Going off-topic a bit, if you want to learn a language to deal with the Chinese economy - learn Mandarin.

Cantonese is useless unless you want to deal with Hongkies or overseas Chinese - and most of them know english anyway. Most people in the mainland cannot speak Cantonese or English for crap.

Back on topic, I'm pretty sure I'll be doing commerce/eco in uni. I'm thinking of combining it with law if my ATAR allows me to.

Winn

HSC
Going off-topic a bit, if you want to learn a language to deal with the Chinese economy - learn Mandarin.

Cantonese is useless unless you want to deal with Hongkies or overseas Chinese - and most of them know english anyway. Most people in the mainland cannot speak Cantonese or English for crap.

Back on topic, I'm pretty sure I'll be doing commerce/eco in uni. I'm thinking of combining it with law if my ATAR allows me to.
*Keeps going off topic*
+1.
Also, just want to add that Cantonese is NOT a language, it's a DIALECT.:p
Anyway, good luck to everyone! I hope you all find a course/career path that you truly like!:eek:

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
+1

i would love to learn Mandarin & Cantonese, but i think learning Cantonese would be much easier and beneficial for me as i would like to work in Hong Kong one day. most of my Chinese friends speak Teochew and/or Cantonese, so they could help me.

Winn

HSC
You're the pervert! XD

But hmm... do you guys reckon i should do more research to make sure i wanna do civil engineering?
I heard first year courses in all engineering disciplines are pretty much the same. Why don't you just start with civil and see if you like it- if not, just transfer.^^

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I heard first year courses in all engineering disciplines are pretty much the same. Why don't you just start with civil and see if you like it- if not, just transfer.^^
True, you have a point there :)

I think i'll go visit my cousin and flick though his civil engineering books soon XD

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm thinking of doing Civil Engineering at UNSW cause I like buildings and maths. Is that a good enough reason?

LordPc

HSC
I'm thinking of doing Civil Engineering at UNSW cause I like buildings and maths. Is that a good enough reason?
what do you mean you like buildings?

the good thing about 1st year engineering at unsw is that every engineer takes the same course (its crazy, all 1000+ students at the same lecture theatre) and you get to pick one discipline (eg civil, mechanical, computing, biomedical). so you can choose the civil engineering and you work on a civil engineering type project (I think this year it was making the strongest bridge or something). so that will give you some practice in actual concepts in your chosen discipline

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
what do you mean you like buildings?

the good thing about 1st year engineering at unsw is that every engineer takes the same course (its crazy, all 1000+ students at the same lecture theatre) and you get to pick one discipline (eg civil, mechanical, computing, biomedical). so you can choose the civil engineering and you work on a civil engineering type project (I think this year it was making the strongest bridge or something). so that will give you some practice in actual concepts in your chosen discipline
thx for the info

I'm interested in them like how they make skyscrapers earthquake proof.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)