Who hates the fact that English is compulsory? (1 Viewer)

mhs11

HSC
Because I certainly do! And to make things worse, my Advanced English teacher doesn't know how to teach! She basically prints work off the internet (claiming it as her own "notes") and gets us to read. And if we don't understand something, she tells us to look over our sheets again. I don't think I'm particularly bad at English but I'm definitely failing all my assessments because of her! I mean the person coming first in my class has an average mark of 71%! Do you guys think that this will have a dramatic impact on my ATAR? If I do better in my HSC examinations than my assessments, do I have a chance at getting a decent mark?

mhs11

HSC
I know I sound really whiney but put yourself in my shoes... I go to a crappy school with crappy Indian teachers teaching ENGLISH! It's pretty sad when you see all these kids with real potential who are not given the opportunities to better themselves academically. And I'm sorry that we can't afford to go to all those fancy private schools or get tutors!

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Have you heard of this system called selective schools?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I know I sound really whiney but put yourself in my shoes... I go to a crappy school with crappy Indian teachers teaching ENGLISH! It's pretty sad when you see all these kids with real potential who are not given the opportunities to better themselves academically. And I'm sorry that we can't afford to go to all those fancy private schools or get tutors!
My English tutor was Indian and smarter than my teachers, he also refined my essays so much it's not funny.

If you want to learn you will learn anywhere.

Your argument is nullified.

mhs11

HSC
Nooo don't get me wrong! Some of the smartest people I know are Indian! But my teacher doesn't know how to explain jack shit... Can you believe she's never properly taught us how to analyse a text (ANY TEXT!). For example, we're studying speeches now and when she helps us analyse all she does is retell what the speech is about -.- Doesn't get into techniques, etc. You can't tell me I can learn in that kinda environment.

mhs11

HSC
Yeah... would've considered that if I knew I was going to be in this position today, but too late now.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
dude this thread is really pointless. there are about 70000 ppl doing hsc, about 69500 who feel just like you. those 500 include english state rankers and other wankers who actually like english.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I don't like English, but I would have chosen it regardless.

Good English skills= Better essays = Better marks

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Have you heard of this system called selective schools?
Eh, some people if they lived in the city would go to selective schools but they don't live in Sydney. I hate it when it's tossed around as the end all or be all. And you can still get a bad teacher there.

But OP, most feel the same way. I like English, but the Adv. course is not my fav, the Extension/s are much more my cup of tea. English is a skill, you can't just rote learn info. But is a useful skill to refine.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
It's been said to me on here, just because the highest mark is low, it doesn't mean your a bad class. Instead, your teacher could be marking hard, so to give you lot the incentive to smash the externals, come October.

Memi

HSC
N/A
...Kind of sounds like my teacher. What I do it research information relating to the texts on the internet/look at Study Guides for general information to supplement what I am given.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I do, it's ghey.

also yet to use any skills from hsc english in tertiary study

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Omni, Yanco is the only non city one but then again, it's ag where they may prefer a normal selective and also, why would you relocate when it's rank is sucky for a selective :p

jnney

lemon
HSC
If you are serious enough to do something about it, then report your teacher to the principal. Demand to change class.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
dude this thread is really pointless. there are about 70000 ppl doing hsc, about 69500 who feel just like you. those 500 include english state rankers and other wankers who actually like english.
You don't have to like it to do well derp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)