who here has been to italy? (1 Viewer)

1985guy

HSC
Im going to Italy for the first time in april, im gonna be staying with a family. Does anyone have any warnings tips etc.?

suz

HSC
he he I went to Italy in 2000 and stayed with family as well
Tips......
Be prepared to put on weight (sorry it's a sad reality jok)
Unless your italian is good (mine wasn't back then) take a pocket dictionary and book of expressions
But most of all have fun and a safe trip
Where is your family from???

suz

HSC
wow that is fantastic, I stayed in a country area bout an hour from Rome on a farm lol
Wish I stayed in Rome

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by 1985guy
Is it true that italians dont shower everyday like we do?
eww!

i havent been, but i'd like to...after i finish uni...im going to ireland for 12 months and i might go to italy for a little bit

suz

HSC
Yeah that is true but they told me it's cause they don't have access to that much water
Rome might be different but

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
wow have a great time!!!

um no that is not true. since suz says it is, it must just be based on the area you are fom.

tips - keep your belongings close, especially in rome and tourist areas. don't leave bags lying on the floor where someone can run off. don't tempt them. keep things as close to you and as hidden as possible.

suz

HSC
yeah the area I stayed was on a farm so that was probably why...
But one thing that is the same wherever you go in Italy is that the pressure of the water when you have a shower is really bad
It really made me realise that we are so lucky and shouldn't take things for granted like water pressure lol

Marie-Paule

italian is one of the nicest languages in the world its on my next to learn list spanish 1st :p french is waaaay too common!!!

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
i dont study italiasn but i've been to italy! absolutely beautiful, i went in winter so it was icy cold...theres so many freakin pigeons there! and heaps of people smoked..
i went to venice, florence and Rome, Rome was my favourite (venice isn't all as grand as eveyone makes it out to be) maybe it wasthe day when i went, it was rainy, and beign aroudn all that water was yuck, but on a positive memory i went on a gondala, it was awesome!

Dont forget to take lotsss of photos!

oh and also, has anyone had pizza in italy? man it is SUCH a letdown

slipper

HSC
i thought only americans would make statements like this. prepare to discover life beyond your little box and have fun doing so!

Kakie

e` vero che gli italiani non fanno la doccia ogni giorno. 1 the water is yuck anyway (specially from roma!!)
2 its a waste of a lack of water
so they use face washers and those bum washer things - cant think what they are called.

also im learning spanish at uni...VERY easy after italian...what u reckon sophie?
french is a bit duller but the three langs together hold massive potential for me!! and for anyoe studynig them...
all the best in roma....buy me a new jersey!! the puma one! I WANT IT BADLY!!!!!!

oh the putting on weight thing is true and sad...i put on 10in three weeks, lost it in a year!!
the worst thing was when i asked for an egg, sunny side up. and i went upstairs to change, i came back down to the kitchen and ther is my egg in a fry pool full of oil and then i had to eat it cos i asked for it!!!
drink italian beer nastro azzuro, its great, espec w/fish
if ur in rome, go up the castelli romani - ciampino, marino, frascati, all the smaller regions that have so much to offer!!
i have to go so that is all i can say, if you wanna talk over email, klaw6831@mail.usyd.edu.au
i ''lived" in rome for a bit a couple of years ago...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by suz
But one thing that is the same wherever you go in Italy is that the pressure of the water when you have a shower is really bad
yes i can agree with that

Originally posted by ~*HSC 4 life*~
i went to venice, florence and Rome, Rome was my favourite (venice isn't all as grand as eveyone makes it out to be) maybe it wasthe day when i went, it was rainy, and beign aroudn all that water was yuck,

it was the day you went on. next time go on a sunny day, it's beautiful!! (venice)

i have been wanting italian pizza here, nowhere makes it alla italiana!! it gets better once you get over the fact it doesn't taste like what you expect it to. mmmmm

hornsby(go to school northern beaches,crazy i know
Ciao a tutti!

I spent a month in italy 2 yrs ago i know it may sound like a long time but i promise you all i remember it like it was yesterday!

The thing you have to watch out for are all the handsome looking guys! They will come up and chat up and touch and try and make u go home with them.... Not a good idea

Also that wenever u mention ur from Australia the italians think that we have kangarros in oour back yard so its good to play along with that!

I have to say i never did put on weight i actually lost it and i did shower everyday! i mean not everyone here in australia showers everyday so whats the diffrence!

The italians also like it wen u speak italian to them...even if u only know a liitle bit!

My final advise is...

Have Fun,soak up the sun,and take alot of photos...

lottsa Love
Lorina...

P.S Hope this helps! Any questions??Im full of answers!!!

ND

HSC
Originally posted by suz
yeah the area I stayed was on a farm so that was probably why...
It really made me realise that we are so lucky and shouldn't take things for granted like water pressure lol
My aunt's house in Treviso has plenty of water pressure.

You serious? the pizza in italy is nothing short of awesome. Maybe you went to a shit place.

i have been wanting italian pizza here, nowhere makes it alla italiana!! it gets better once you get over the fact it doesn't taste like what you expect it to. mmmmm
There is this place in haberfield that makes it really good. I can't remember the name of it, but it's on that main haberfield street (you know the one, it has the pasticceria on the corner).

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by ND
There is this place in haberfield that makes it really good. I can't remember the name of it, but it's on that main haberfield street (you know the one, it has the pasticceria on the corner).
really? i will try it out, does it have thin thin crust? i still haven't found crust here as thin as in italy.

ND

HSC
Yep it's as thin as in italy. A little pricey (like $14 a pizza i think), but well worth it.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
hell yeah, when i am there one day i will get it :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)