Who here is a pirate? (1 Viewer)

victor..cleaner

cleaner
HSC
All those who believe this thread could to be related to that Johnny Depp film which you all finger yourselves over, can click back.

What i am interested in is how many of you would rather download a copy of a film or buy a bootleg/pirated copy from the markets or somewhere else than go to the cinema.

Example: How many of you will pay to go see 'Van Helsing' in the next week or so?
a) Yeah i'll go
b) No i'll get a pirated copy

It is just an example so don't get too carried away...
I'm not interested in hearing about the music industry though...

Also give me some motives as to 'WHY' you pirate/ don't pirate

If there is some decent feedback, i'll post my views on the topic

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
i would go and watch an australian movie at the cinemas if it was good to show my support

but if it was a shithouse american movie i wouldn't really care

victor..cleaner

cleaner
HSC
Originally posted by johnson
i would go and watch an australian movie at the cinemas if it was good to show my support

but if it was a shithouse american movie i wouldn't really care
this is related to why people pirate: how would you know whether or not the film is shithouse?

does that mean that your bias in favour of the local films (as you listed..) "japanese story, muriel's wedding, priscilla, the rabbit proof fence, the dish, strictly ballroom, alexander's project, swimming upstream, shine, australian rules'...would be the other way around if you were living in the US?

would you never pirate an australian film? is it okay to do it to the major US studios? how so?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i dont pirate movies...just music
movies, unless i really really really wanna see them, and i can con someone into going with me, i usually just wait til its released on DVD

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by victor..cleaner
this is related to why people pirate: how would you know whether or not the film is shithouse?

does that mean that your bias in favour of the local films (as you listed..) "japanese story, muriel's wedding, priscilla, the rabbit proof fence, the dish, strictly ballroom, alexander's project, swimming upstream, shine, australian rules'...would be the other way around if you were living in the US?

would you never pirate an australian film? is it okay to do it to the major US studios? how so?
i would know if the movie was shithouse or not if i knew the previous work of the director/actors... or, if i just think the story would work well.

yeah i guess i'm biased because i feel strongly about australian work and i think it should be encouraged more. if i was living in the us i would still support the independent american films (there are some good ones out there)

i don't think it's 'okay' to pirate anything, i'm just saying that i wouldn't pirate australian made films because they make very little profits as it is, compared to the major US studios

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I'm not a pirate. I've only ever burnt three CDs in my life and I pay for every film I watch. Each time I've burnt, I've felt guilty.

smegthehead

is chairman kaga
HSC
i only download crappy hollywood movies, eg the ones that you know are crappy and will make you feel disappointed when you leave the theatre, but you still want to see them out of interest alone. That way you don't feel guilty because you know you didn't flush $10 down the drain by seeing it in the first place

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Ive been caught by the BSSA (Business Software Alliance) for sharing Photoshop on Direct Connect before... Does that count?

By the way I dont share any software anymore :p

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Beaky
Ive been caught by the BSSA (Business Software Alliance) for sharing Photoshop on Direct Connect before... Does that count?

Are you serious, on DC? FUCK

Thats gay, and I thought it was 'fairly' safe to use it :(

Well, I don't share software, so the BSAA won't catch me, but the ARIA is still after me :p

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
hmmm

i'll pirate software (and fonts -- yes, people pay for them!) out of necessity, but i feel bad about it (you would too if you'd spent hundreds of hours on designing something)

no qualms about stealing from major labels, distributors, etc, but i feel crappy stealing music from the small guys.

replace the word "pirated" with "stolen". that helps, i think. so i'll steal software, music, movies from certain people, but not others.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by Beaky

Nice. What happened?

Lundy

Banned
HSC
If they didn't want me to burn movies, they shouldn't have kept raising the cinema ticket prices. Don't get me started on the food.

I rarely dl movies anyway though.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
i saw over 40 movies in the cinemas last year. that being said i have no problem with watching downloaded movies. probably because i feel i've earned the right after seeing 10x as many movies as most other people

hatty

Banned
everything on my computer is pirated
and every single damn movie ive seen is pirated.

yes, sometimes i do feel very guilty that the millionaire actors and directors are missing out on my $10 or so...
actually, fuck them

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Depends. I don't generally watch movies as it is, but I have a few pirated copies of movies which are over 10 years old.

The way I understand it is that people only care about the box office takings of a movie anyway - that's what gauges success or failure. After that the money just goes to your video store anyway, and once it's passed from new release into the other categories it's over.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Originally posted by Ziff
The way I understand it is that people only care about the box office takings of a movie anyway - that's what gauges success or failure. After that the money just goes to your video store anyway, and once it's passed from new release into the other categories it's over.
not true. profits from rentals go to studio/distributor/whoever has rental profits in their contracts. at least for new releases, not sure if that still happens once they enter weeklies

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I thought the video shop just bought the videos at a price more than $30. Like for $150 or something.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
Originally posted by Lundy
If they didn't want me to burn movies, they shouldn't have kept raising the cinema ticket prices. Don't get me started on the food.

I rarely dl movies anyway though.
yeah exactly, even if i would download movies i probably couldn't be bothered

and the prices don't really go up, it's mainly inflation

sangboi

HSC
Well with ADSL2 and fast internet connections getting cheaper and faster how con you not pirate. Downloading a good quality movie can just take a few minutes nowadays. And i think the world is lightening up on pirated movies i meant the underworld, its more in the open and alot easier to find compared to afew years ago when this thread started.

Anyways i think pirating movies is perfectly acceptable in todays world or atleast where i live. People download movies and tv shows and pass em around like lollies, i still go to the movies and watch films with friends though if its a good movies worth paying for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)