Who here sews? (1 Viewer)

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
I can't really sew unless the pattern is really basic, but i love altering vintage dresses and changing unflattering hemlines.

who else here customises their clothes?

is there any way i could learn to sew, are there courses around? cos i only ever sew stuff for things like costume parties, becuase it doesnt matter if the handicraft is crap cos you're only wearing it once.

3lsi3

HSC
i do
ive made heaps of dress's and stuff =]

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I am capable of stitching holes in my stuff. For a guy I reckon that's pretty good. In fact if I was any better than that it would make me pathetic and girly.

kaylz

HSC
Depends whereabouts in syd you are (if you are in sydney, of course). I'm going to sign up for one locally when I get around to it. I really want to learn to make shit, but to date I've only really altered hemlines and stuff like you mentioned, or made hideous skirts in sewing classes that we had to take in high school. Check out classifieds, and notice boards at community centres. Or that Sydney courses thing - the name escapes me.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
kaylz said:
Depends whereabouts in syd you are (if you are in sydney, of course). I'm going to sign up for one locally when I get around to it. I really want to learn to make shit, but to date I've only really altered hemlines and stuff like you mentioned, or made hideous skirts in sewing classes that we had to take in high school. Check out classifieds, and notice boards at community centres. Or that Sydney courses thing - the name escapes me.
yeah something like that. but the thing is, i think i'd need to get a car to do it cos i dont want to learn on a machine other than my own, but my machine weighs like 50 kgs. so yeah, unless i can get someone to come to my house maybe...

let me know if you find a course.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i can mend tears and re-stitch loose seams and hem long pants and stuff fairly well but that's about it. i wouldn't trust myself near my clothes with a sewing machine for anything like taking in waistlines or putting in darts or altering bustlines or any of that. there are courses everywhere but they're not that heavily advertised, i think most community colleges, CWA groups, etc run workshops from time to time. i wouldn't worry too much about learning on a different machine; they're all more or less the same aren't they?

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
I learnt from my mother when I was young, but I've pretty much forgotten it all. She used to be a dressmaker, so any sewing work for the family just gets given to her.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
I can only do really simple things, everything else - im horrible :eek:

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I got my mum to do three-quarters of my Textiles assignment in Year 7, and in Year 8 I made myself a muumuu because then I could say that it looking like an ill-fitting badly-sewn potato sack of colour diarrhoea was intentional. :eek:

Yeah, sewing is no friend of mine.

HSC
N/A
I used to sew heapss when I was little (like dresses for dolls etc) :shy:

Wish I did textiles and design in High School.

The only thing I've sewed lately is about 200 coloured buttons onto a plain black dress, love it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)