who here works two jobs? (1 Viewer)

bethxx

HSC
N/A
Im thinkin of stackin jobs as well so i could get more days off cos it wears me out having to travel to work almost every day. How many hours do u reckon stackin both jobs? Is 10 hrs too much? lol just the thought of it give me shivers..

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
bethxx said:
My other job besides gloria is kmart. which do u reckon is worse? I've been workin too long as cash register and gettin sick of it (previous job was cashier too) and at kmart is hectic cos they usually scans out different from the tags they put on the store and they even din have it on the catalogue! I havent got shit hours before so i dunno which scenario is better lol. Yeah gloria pays quite small tho im suprised. Whats the average pay anyway for a 18 yer old?
It's about $11/hr.

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
bethxx said:
Im thinkin of stackin jobs as well so i could get more days off cos it wears me out having to travel to work almost every day. How many hours do u reckon stackin both jobs? Is 10 hrs too much? lol just the thought of it give me shivers..
It really depends on the job. Will it be busy for the whole 10 hrs?

bethxx

HSC
N/A
i cant tell cos i havent try workin on a coffee shop before.. but it should be busier than kmart i reckon.. if its part time, can u change the shifts again after u r rostered?

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
bethxx said:
i cant tell cos i havent try workin on a coffee shop before.. but it should be busier than kmart i reckon.. if its part time, can u change the shifts again after u r rostered?
Yeah you can, but they won't like it. From my experience, you're put on a rotating roster, but you usually have a few 'core' shifts.

:\ I'd prefer Kmart over Gloria Jeans, any day.

HSC
Yea ive worked in hospitality as my first job, that was pizza hut. Now working at big w for quite a few yrs, even though its the shit job, it beats the food industry. I can't stand customers, let alone those who think things should be cooked within 2seconds. And i can imagine gloria genes wouldnt be too much diff with customers expecting their coffee's made as soon as they say the word :S

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
bethxx said:
depends whether you think it's better to do a couple of days @ 10 hours a day or a whole week @ 4-5 hours. work out how many hours you can comfortably work a day/week and just stick to it, unless you really need the money to save for something. ATM I'm working 8 hour days mon-thurs with nearly 2hrs travel time both ways so by thursday I am fairly worn out, I could and probably would if asked do a friday shift as well but I need a break! And I'm living at home so hardly scrounging in bins for necessities just yet so yeah. Just do whatever works for you at the moment.

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
in terms of getting taxed for the 2nd job, does anyone know the rate?

lala2

Banned
HSC
^^They will tax you at 15%. Tax rates do not differ per job, it differs on the basis of how much combined income you have.

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
lala2 said:
^^They will tax you at 15%. Tax rates do not differ per job, it differs on the basis of how much combined income you have.
Are you sure it's 15%? I've heard that it's 25% which is pretty high.

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
You can fill out a form to alter the % tax if that happens, sf.

I've worked 2 jobs before and I didn't find that I was taxed too much. I got the extra back in the end.

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
How is everyone else going with balancing their rosters?

I'm having a hard time with it. In theory, it all worked out but when it came time to do the rosters, something had to give -

Technically, I'm still employed at my original job, but I'm getting no shifts from them. I think I'll either get fired, or quit sooner or later. :\

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
swingsarekool said:
Same goes for me. I'm lucky if I get 1 shift/week now haha. I don't think they can fire me as I haven't done anything wrong.
I'll probably quit within the next 2 months or so.. I've been there for more than 3 years, and I don't think I can work there for much longer..
Are you a casual?

I wonder if they'll keep us on even if we're doing irregular shifts.

benotdavid

HSC
For my second job, my weekly gross pay is around $250. After tax, i get about $220. So they tax me about $30.

15% sounds right.

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
I ended up getting taxed at 29% for my second job. I'm sure it depends on the amount of pay.

Does super come out of your pay or is it additional income that the employer pays out of their own pocket?

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
Blah.

I wish I just stuck to 1 job and maxed out the hours.

I hate my second job but it's more of a 'real job' than the first one.

/end complaining

Peartie

HSC

if you have two jobs the best way to do it is tick a box on the TFN stating that you are claiming this as your second job

they then tax you at the HIGHEST tax bracket - assuming that you are earning a shitload from your other job

They do it this way because they don't know how much you will be earning from your first job, therefore at the end of the year you *should* get a semi-decent tax return (I had $1700 last financial year and was :D :D :D )

You don't have to do it this way but more than likely, if you work both jobs regulalrly and earn decent money off them both then you will end up owing money in Tax Return Time :( :( :(

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
is there actually a box to tick to say it's your 2nd job?

or are you talking about the TFT?

I've ticked the tax free threshold on my first job, and get taxed basically nothing (3%)

but on my second job... that's a different story :S

Peartie

HSC
on the tax file number declaration form or whatever it is....there is a box which you can cross or tick or whatever stating you wish this job to be your 2nd job and taxed at the highest rate...that way u dont get screwed around and owe money.....

haylz234

HSC
two jobs = taxed like you wouldn't believe.

i worked two jobs at separate retail entities for six months last year, and got taxed so badly - claiming the tax free threshold on one job, but you cant claim it on two, even if you won't qualify for the tax earning anyway.

so basically, if i earnt five dollars at job number two, i would be taxed one dollar from that.

sounds bad, but just wait till tax time comes around! hundreds of dollars you never would have held on to :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)