who saw cuttheatres king lear? (1 Viewer)

funkychickie

has anybody seen cuttheatres king lear production i was just wonderin what people thought of the girl kent and the exclusion of the fool?>>> ppls opinions would be great here...>>> thanks dudes and dudettes:)

trinity

yeh, there's a bit in the "king lear productions" thread... :cool:
ummmm yeh, it was definitely different having a girl Kent but I wish the director would have a definite reason for doing these things... she was like >why not? Kent is the only character that can easily be played by a woman instead of a man...for her it was all about practicality- they were wearing white, not to emphasise the bleakness but so that the actors could easily move between roles...

funkychickie

yeh

for her it was all about practicality- they were wearing white, not to emphasise the bleakness but so that the actors could easily move between roles... [/B]

yeh did u find it confusing.. i knida knew who was who but this girl sitting next to me would not stop asking stupid questions...
and when king lear was drunk... two of the actors wouldnt stop flirting and kicking each other and i dont think that was sposed to be in the script!! heheheh

trinity

well it was confusing at first but after a while u get used to it... yeh.. we went to one of the first ones and king lear was like mumbling cos he had forgotten his lines or something... but yeh i suppose it was his first time as Lear, apparently last yr they had a young lear (20-something)... and i think most of the other characters are the same as last yr so they would have had plenty of time to practice...
:D :D :D

Charlie Brown

i went to see the production last month and i didnt find it as good as another one i saw before.

the actors were kind of confusing, and as other said, the director's comments werent very informative. saying the reasons for her actors to wear white etc etc. and plus the exclusion of the Fool~ and at times Lear forgot his lines as well!

it was interesting to have a female Kent though

some of the modern ways of presenting stuff i also liked~ eg. the letters and the screen

otherwise, the production was not too bad....

Last edited:

Jinglebell

HSC
i saw it today...lear still doesn't know his lines, and it was kinda irritating. as was the guy who played edmund, it annoyed me how he kept strutting even when he was a different character. My friend was sitting on the floor right near where the actors come in, and she said she was tempted to just trip him over:)

the best thing i can say about it is that at least there's heaps of things to write about in essays etc, with the screen and all.

blue_lemonade

i went to the production last week...
i didn't like it too much...but its really different to the productions we've watched at school...

it seemed like alot of the things that were added etc..were there for practicality more than anything else...
i didn't find the director's answers too helpful..

we were told that we analysed things too in depth when one of my friends asked bout the significance of the fly in the intro of edmund!

Charlie Brown

production

yeah that was true

someone asked her abt the fly too and she was so dismissive, as with her brief remarks with other questions too

she had some great graphics and symbolism in the her production but some was so hard to understand

i also agree the actors were so confusing...funny a lot of ppl noticed Lear forgot his lines in places...my....so many ppl have sed that...which means he must be forgetting them a lot...thats terrible....

so many complaints really..i dont think many liked it~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)