Who to talk to (1 Viewer)

mitch_f1

HSC
Hey
This year I was quite frustrated to find out that the BMedSc course at UNSW jumped almost 5 points after remaining stable at 85. I was originally quite satisfied to find that I had broken through my aim of 85 and got 88.3, and thought I was done and dusted in regards to getting into the course. As it turns out I missed out by barely over 1 point, and made it into BSc instead.

I have since deferred this place to next year. But the other day, talking to a guy at my work doing dentistry at USYD he reckoned cause I missed out by so little I could appeal to the UNI and possibly get a place in MedSc (which I would try to transfer to after first year BSc).

My heart is really set on MedSc, and as pretty much all of my teachers from year 12 know, I am really into the kind of stuff that Medical Science offers, specifially what UNSW offers for it's MedSc students.

So, in those regards, who would I appeal to, when, and what would I need. I feel confident I can get supporting letters from my year 12 science teachers, I should also mention I got band 5 in both sciences that I did (bio, and chem), and was 2nd and 3rd respectively, in class marks. In geog (which some argue is not a science, but i beg to differ) I managed to get onto the honour role.

The thing that held my marks back (and hence my UAI) was bloody general maths, and standard english.

So yes, any help would be apprecieated.

Thankyou
Mitchell

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
You can try send a letter to the Dean of Science and/or the Science Student Office. I'm not sure whether they will consider giving you a spot base on your appeal. Try and apply to B MedSc 2008 with your current UAI and see what happens. If you are academically capable, you won't have a problem at all in transferring into B MedSc at the end of 1 year of B Sc.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
im sure he can do med sci subjects in his science degree, so if he does transfr successfully, he wont have to start from scratch

mitch_f1

HSC
okay but that being said; if I put med sci above sci in my preferences, does that void my place in sci?

Also, the guy I talked to at the open day not long ago said that transferring into med sci was usually difficult, because many people use it as a pathway into medicine?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
the latter is true...i think if you finish med science with honours or something, and yout transferred into medicine, you start as a 4th year

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
The main reason why B Med Sci jumped up by a few UAI points, was owing to the fact that UNSW has allowed Med Sci students enrolled from 2007 onwards who finish with Distinction to High Distinction average (subject to competitivity) every year, with 1st Class Division in honours Year, to jump straight into 4th / 5th MBBS.

It is without doubt, extremely hard, and competitive.

Even if you aren't going for this Alternate Medicine Pathway, students should maintain a credit average in their whole academic period.

Anyhow, it might be too late to appeal to the Dean of Science, you have 2 options:

1. Choose another degree this year, i.e. B Arts, do well in all the subjects, achieve Distinction average grades for the whole year (i.e. 48 UOC worth equalling 8 Subjects).

2. Choose B Sci, align your Med Sci Major with B Sci's Major, (i.e. Follow Med Sci's Plan structure) then achieve Credit-Distinction average grades for the whole year. Choose Med Sci 2nd Year (Not sure if UNSW offers it, but USyd does, so UNSW might, call Science student centre for clarification) and re-elect the Med Sci Specific courses that you did not complete in first year, to do in your 2nd Year Med Sci degree.

Last edited:

mitch_f1

HSC
WHat about the former?

I am seriously thinking about chaning UNI's now then, because I really only want to do med sci, and the majors that UNSW offer were just so inviting. But if it is going to be that competitive throughout the whole year, then I may have to elect a different uni.

stephenchow

HSC
mitch_f1 said:
okay but that being said; if I put med sci above sci in my preferences, does that void my place in sci?
Because you said that, did you put your preferences in order of the previous year's UAI cutoffs? For example, uai cutoff for B.Science is lower than B.MedSci so ill put B.Sci before B.Medsci because you thought there was some chance you wouldnt get in?.

If you did, then you probably didnt get in because of that. It's called preferences for a reason.

mitch_f1

HSC
No, of course not, thats just stupid. I put MEd Sci first (thinking I was a likely to get in), then Sci second thinking that even if I didn't, i'd be in the right uni. Then it was other unis in that same pattern.

Rekkusu

HSC
Actually, this is a common misconception of the UAC admission process.

UAC consists of the Early Round (For international/TAFE people) --> Main Round --> Late Round.

For Local Applicants, we use the Main Round & Late Round.

Hypothetically, if you did place B Sci in front of B Med Sci (Which I actually did) for the first round, and you got the B Sci offer, you have the chance to swap the preferences (1. B Med Sci @ UNSW followed by 2. B Sci @ UNSW).

This makes the system quite a fair one:), provided UNSW does offer this course for Late Round (i.e. Space availability). It is best to choose your primary degree as Pref 1.

Mitch, if you can, try out B Sci for first year @ UNSW, and try and maintain at least Credit Average, then apply to UAC the following year to Med Sci. (This depends half upon your UAI and the other half on your first year Uni Academic achievements).

By doing this, you don't have to repeat 1st Year Med Sci courses, the only course you will miss is the Medical Science Lectures (3 UOC worth), which can be done in your 2nd Year Med Sci, should you successfully receive an offer for it.
Following Survivor's advice, alot of people tend to change degrees after their first year, and are able to do so quite 'ok'.

But really, Med Sci has absolutely no difference to B Sci, except without the "special" Med Sci lectures.

mitch_f1

HSC
Would it be easier than if I do med sci at a different uni for 1st year, and then transfer across?

Rekkusu

HSC
That is also possible.

You may apply for credit transfer to UNSW. Again it is dependent upon UNSW Faculy of Science Policy, sometimes they may not recognise all the courses you take in 1st Year Med Sci at another university/institution. In other words, you might transfer your 6 courses of credit from say USyd Med Sci, but UNSW may not recognise the other 2 courses of credit.

But, it's definitely possible for you to transfer after your first year of med sci at another university. B Sci (majoring in medical areas) may also be substituted.

If you wish, you may contact our Science Student Centre at:

Science Student Centre First Floor, Robert Webster Bldg, UNSW Tel: (02) 9385 7788 Email: sso@unsw.edu.au

Alternatively, if you're planning to appeal for the Med Sci degree, contact the Dean of Science directly. (Letter, or appointment)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)