who wants to be a lawyer (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Won't you be the mods pet, me too :)

There are lots of options for you so don't dispair, where there's a will, there's a way :uhhuh:

I stressed all year last year that I wouldn't be able to study a law degree and it was really pointless there are many options depending on how dedicated you are.

1. Normal entry (CSP/HECS places), the cutoffs range from (according to last years cutoff) 99.55 - 83, I'll list the cutoffs from highest to lowest:
USYD - 99.55
UNSW - 99.20
UTS 97.0- 98.3
MAQ 95.55 - 96.55
ANU - 96.5
La trobe 95.5
newcastle - 93.80
CSU 90.0
UOW - 91.0
Canberra - 90.1- 91
UWS - 85
UNE - 83.0

2. Full fee places, some uni's offer full fee spots, which is where you pay the full fee rather than having the goverment pay part of your payments in return you get in for a lower cutoff, generally this is about $20 000 per year as opposed to the max of $8600ish per year for hecs students.

MAQ - 90.00-98
UNSW 94.20
Newcastle - 90.0
USYD 96.85
UTS 92.0

3. Transfer, there is the option of transfering into a course by studying one for 6 months to a year and maintaining some standard, each uni has its own policys and requirements which you will need to research but for example, my uni (UWS) has the guaranteed course transfer system which means that after 6 months or one year if you have maintained an above credit average you are able transfer into any UWS course regardless of your UAI. Uni to uni transfers or other uni's have different policies so you are best to check out their website or the transfer forum on the university subforum of this site.

4. The Diploma in law is also avaliable, it is run through the Legal Practioners Admissions board and only requires a good mark in English and 66 UAI. You work and study at the same time and at the end you are able to pratice like any other law grad. ----> All info about the diploma http://www.usyd.edu.au/lec/future/index.htm

5. Uni's in other states, for this you would need to talk to your careers advisor, attending a uni in another state means u need to apply to their UAC equivalent, you may also have to do the stat test or just rely on your uai, it is possible though, I know a girl studying law through the university of tasmania, she lived there for a while but decided to do it by correspondance but this would require much dedication.

Good luck and I hope to see you as an opponent one day :D :argue:

Last edited:

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Didn't one of us make this thread last year? :p
Well we made it in! :D
Who else the class of 06 wants to do law?

"Chubby"

HSC
I DO!....but i rkn the UAI's for the most common uni's like USYD are just way too high......so i've basically given up on the choice of career path.....lolz

whoops...."the" in the previous msg is supposed to be "this".....lolz

Last edited by a moderator:

"Chubby"

HSC
melsc said:
Chubby, Usyd is not the only place you know, take a look at my post a few posts up, its not impossible.

yeah, i realised. I rkn UWS and UNE are the best chances for me.....LOLZ

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Trust me Goan Crazy and I were like you guys last year and we both did much better than expected :uhhuh: good luck and if you need info about uni's, legal or UWS ask away :)

"Chubby"

HSC
(continuing from last msg)...............if i do choose this career path

Blue View

HSC
What do you guys reckon about going to UNE? Is it just low because it is a rural uni or is pretty average in the educational department?

I am thinking about going there but I don't know how it is ranked acccording to the other uni's! I mean if it is low on the pecking scale than why would you go there to do a complicated course (high uai) when you can get into a more prominent uni to do a less complicated (lower uai) course!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
UAI doesn't have much to do with the quality of the course, its not harder or easier really at any uni, the competition (as in other students) may be harder at a uni which requires higher uai but often many are transfer or full fee students so not everyone is the 99.2 type. UAI cutoffs are mainly supply and demand, so une would have less demand because of its location an 'percieved' reputation. However all law degrees have pretty much the same struture and every law student in NSW has to do a certain number of core units so basically it would be the same.

I can tell you at UWS we use pretty much the same books as everyone else and its not like its any easier because of the cutoff.

I was considering UNE but I didnt want to move away from home, I didnt think I could afford it and I though it would be too difficult, I just had back up plans in for the unis closer to me.

If you want to know more about the UNE check out their uni subforum, I think there are a few BOS UNE law students.
UNE Law thread
UNE subforum

If you think une is too far come to UWS our cutoff this year was only 2 points higher then theirs :) (UWS 85, UNE 83)

Good Luck :wave:

Last edited:

lilsxcwog89

Lazy Ass
HSC
I want to really become a lawyer, but my chances look pretty slim. This is due to me being stereotyped as an "unlearned lebbo" among the general school population.

So yeh.........................................No law.....more maccas

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
^ It's possible, believe me when I say this, I seriously thought there was no hope for me. People who think that are stupid, we have so many different types of people in my law classes, young, old, school leavers, transfer students, international students and I know quite a few leb law students... don't give up :)

lilsxcwog89

Lazy Ass
HSC
If only I was as optimistic as you, thanks for the advice though. Hopefully I could just scrape myself into a law course next year.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
me optimistic? Lol last year i would complain to anyone I could that I wouldn't be making it into a law program, I had my plan b all set out and was in complete shock and really still am lol... Good luck and if you need anything, I'm here :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)