Who went to see the "Studio Company" Production of King Lear at Riverside Theatre? (1 Viewer)

HSC
My class is going today (Wednesday), and I was wondering if anyone of you have been, and what your thoughts were on the play?

Team 1A

HSC
I think I went to it. Is it the one in Parramatta? I went yesterday (Friday Night) and I thought it was pretty mad. I liked the set out of the stage personally, and at the end with Cordelia dieing.

HSC
Team 1A said:
I think I went to it. Is it the one in Parramatta? I went yesterday (Friday Night) and I thought it was pretty mad. I liked the set out of the stage personally, and at the end with Cordelia dieing.
Yep, that's the one.

Yeah, the stage set-up was interesting, and I thought it worked really well. I was sitting in the front row, and luckily I didn't feel any of the spit land on me. Ewwww. :eek:

Yeah, the ending was pretty good; when they had her "spirit" running around, with Lear chasing it.

I thought the acting was pretty good too, and the Fool was pretty good. :)

Team 1A

HSC
Yea their was a fair bit of that spit going around haha.

I didn't no what was goin on with her for a minute. I thought they may of changed the ending.. but no :p

All the fake blood was pretty good too.

HSC
Re: Who went to see the "Studio Company" Production of King Lear at Riverside Theatre

Team 1A said:
Yea their was a fair bit of that spit going around haha.

I didn't no what was goin on with her for a minute. I thought they may of changed the ending.. but no :p

All the fake blood was pretty good too.
Yes, haha, the blood was good; very gruesome.

I also liked the twist they had with Goneril using her stiletto to gouge Gloucester's eye.

Ewwww. :eek:

Team 1A

HSC
Re: Who went to see the "Studio Company" Production of King Lear at Riverside Theatre

chocolate_lover said:
I also liked the twist they had with Goneril using her stiletto to gouge Gloucester's eye.
haha yea that was a highlight for me too :p

ITimber

HSC
I went today as well. I thought it was a pretty good production. Yes there was quite a bit of spit flying around and they really enjoyed their 'bloody' effects.

Is anyone going to use this production in their essay/writing task???
What ideas/perspectives etc are you thinking of including or highlighting from this production?

Last edited:

Teddy Lee

HSC
I really liked it, much better than the bondi production.

Luckily I was sitting in the section most of the action was directed to.

I liked the beginning, where tension was established really well. And the end was really good, first time I've seen anything like it. The goryness was a nice touch in places :)

The cutting of Albany and Cornwall was an interesting decision.. critics aren't liking it but I didn't mind it so much, I still felt the sibling rivalry between Gonerill and Regan were strong and the final scene was fine without Albany.

As for using it in an essay, I'm not sure. But I'm really glad we went to see it!

HSC
Funny you should mention it because I literally just got back from it.

I agree with everyones comments. Gloucester's eye gouging scene was extremely unexpected especially with the blood spurting everywhere.

I LOVED THE FOOL!!!! I think the combination of the actress of Cordelia, Oswald and the Fool was really effective.

And just on a really coincidental note I saw the Bondi production as well and tonight at the Riverside I saw the actor who played Edgar there in the audience!!!!

HSC

ryanbethany said:
And just on a really coincidental note I saw the Bondi production as well and tonight at the Riverside I saw the actor who played Edgar there in the audience!!!!
Yeah? Haha, cool. :)

Team 1A

HSC

ryanbethany said:
I LOVED THE FOOL!!!! I think the combination of the actress of Cordelia, Oswald and the Fool was really effective.
Perhaps they spent the budget on the fake blood and could only afford to cast 1 actor as the 3. :p

HSC

Team 1A said:
Perhaps they spent the budget on the fake blood and could only afford to cast 1 actor as the 3. :p
Haha, so that's why they didn't show the daughter's husbands... :D

Team 1A

HSC

Yep, that fake blood is super costly!

HSC
What did you think of the bit when Lear went a bit crazy with Gloucester.. if you know what I mean. Everyone in the audience was so taken back ahahaha. Do you reckon it was necessary?

HSC

ryanbethany said:
What did you think of the bit when Lear went a bit crazy with Gloucester.. if you know what I mean. Everyone in the audience was so taken back ahahaha. Do you reckon it was necessary?
Hehehe, sexual tension. :p

katarvey

Premium Member
HSC
i saw this production a while ago...unfortunatly i dont really like King Lear..so that didnt help this play. i thought the actors were really good and the missing males also worked well.

ryanbethany said:
yeh it was 'interesting' lol! my idea was it was to do with Lear trying to reinstate his power (power without responsibility) did anyone notice another sexual reference with Edmund and one of the sister (i think Gonerill)...my bad memory :mad1: she was kneeling infront of him for hsi whole speech. could just be my dirty mind..but others picked up on it

anyone here wiling to share notes on this production (i actually have some typed up BUT i think they are el-crapo!)

intim8.effect

HSC

katarvey said:
i saw this production a while ago...unfortunatly i dont really like King Lear..so that didnt help this play.

At lest you didn't go to the "performance" at the Bondi Pavillion Theatre...now that was el-crapo!

You could cut the sexual tension with a knife...or at least, a giant foam penis... :S

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)