Who will be going for graduate medicine? (1 Viewer)

Are you aiming for graduate medicine?

• Total voters

Arithela

HSC
If so, which undergraduate course are you planning to undertake and where?

Arithela

HSC
just a question, why would you choose a 5-year course rather than say a 3-year course?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Arithela said:
just a question, why would you choose a 5-year course rather than say a 3-year course?
max out your CSP/HECS times :D

sometimes its because if u fail to qualify you need a backup career.. and doing a 5 year degree can lead to a profession..

if the 5 year course is like a dual degree you can get away with sitting the GAMSAT at yr 3.. then if you do well.. you can graduate out.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I had a position for the 2008 USyd GMP intake, but I deferred it (and am about to defer it again). I am just about to finish BSc (Hon).

dolbinau

HSC
I still haven't given up trying UMAT test, but yes if that fails graduate for me. Will wait for my UAI to decide what course ;).

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
Templar said:
I had a position for the 2008 USyd GMP intake, but I deferred it (and am about to defer it again). I am just about to finish BSc (Hon).
Hey, are you doing the BSc (adv) or normal?

Because i was wondering if there were any successful applicants who didnt do the BSc (adv) to get into med.

lollypoplady

HSC
Hoping that my UMAT + UAI will get me into undergrad, but not likely. so yes, post grad med is looking like its on the horizon for me! (arrgghh so much study...)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Deltan said:
Hey, are you doing the BSc (adv) or normal?

Because i was wondering if there were any successful applicants who didnt do the BSc (adv) to get into med.
On the usyd medfac website you will find a break down of graduate degrees taken by successful students. Most of them did a Bsc of some description. But more and more students are now comming from humanities backgrouds, etc.

ASNSWR127

HSC
Do Nursing - related and only takes 3 years!

to clarify I do not want to do med but rather want to remain a Nurse - I want to do Nursing to be a Nurse :)

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
Wooz said:
On the usyd medfac website you will find a break down of graduate degrees taken by successful students. Most of them did a Bsc of some description. But more and more students are now comming from humanities backgrouds, etc.
Would it matter whether you did advance or not? I heard that you are less likely to obtain a distinction or HD average whereas in advance it scales better and hence you can get a better mark

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
No, advanced is much harder and they don't really scale subjects unless alot of students fail or do too well. At usyd they try to set general subject results into 5% getting HD, 10% d, 15-20% C, 50-60% P, >5% F, excluding some subjects and adv stuff, etc. Also you will be doing specific Adv subjects at UNSW or Usyd and you will be actively competing against those students. Your better off doing a BSc, taking normal subjects where you usually have a higher chance of gettting an HD due to the large cohort and working hard in that.

I think at both USyd and UNSW for advanced science you must to Mathematics 1A and 1B or mathematics advancded, Physics, and other advanced subjects inaddition.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
The average in advanced units is still much higher than that of normal level, given that advanced take on harder material, this should indicate that there is some scaling effect.
At USYD, the average for a normal level science unit is about 60, and for advanced it's almost 70.

Arithela

HSC
Does doing advanced units mean we learn harder material at a quicker rate? What is the point of this? For the scaling? For interest?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
It makes no difference whether you're enrolled in BSc or BSc (Adv), since if you do the required number of adv subjects you will graduate with BSc (Adv), so it's more a matter of whether you do normal or adv subjects in your degree (for me it doesn't matter since I did honours).

Advanced means you do harder subjects which will be scaled better than normal. Wooz might be talking from the UNSW perspective, but at USyd you have to pretty much come first in normal maths to get a HD, whereas in adv it's handed out in the bucketfull. All maths subjects will be scaled (yes, even life science), and adv gets scaled far more.

Arithela

HSC
that sounds like high school all over again... with high scaling subjects?

Preity

HSC
sorry, but what is the difference between grad and undergrad? i've asked around but no one's really explained it that well. thanx

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Preity said:
sorry, but what is the difference between grad and undergrad? i've asked around but no one's really explained it that well. thanx
Undergraduate medicine: Is a medical course that you can do straight out of high school as long as you sit umat, apply, get the certain uai, etc. Except at JCU where they only look at your marks and your application to determine an interview placement.

Graduate medicine: is a 4 year medical course, but you must have done an undergraduate course and sit gamsat a 6 hour test comprising of sciences, humanities, reasoning/logic. Also sit an interview if your gamsat marks and uni marks are sufficient.

Hmm.. Tasmania, it's pretty hard getting into UTAS straight out of school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)