Who's Doing King Lear Here? (1 Viewer)

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
I just wanna know which schools are doing KL for their module B this year. I'm screwing up KL really bad, (4/20 for my half yearly's -.-; ) so I'm thinking of asking around for teachers that do Eng tuition and are relatively good at KL.

Thanks in advance ^.^;

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
Lol, I think my entire year is just over KL. Everyone wrote like 5~10 pages for the BR/BNW essay for module A and wrote crap for KL >.>;

So do you reckon your teacher's ok at teaching it?

Daaan

HSC
I'm doing King Lear too!! It's kinda naff cos its my weakest module. Trial is tomorrow, and its the only one I got a problem with!!

Meh, I can't grasp it. If Shakespeare was alive today I'm sure I would be torching his house right now....:burn:

I would really really love any help or anything, I've looked at the Eyre production and the Brook production, so thats the familial and nihilistic readings.

*miranda*

HSC
I'm doing King Lear! Love it! Yes i am a complete nerd. i went and saw a production of it in bathurst the other day - family reading - the fool was freaken hilarious.

Daaan

HSC
Yeah, we just got notes too. I don't mind the play, its a good story, but its just the whole interpretation crap I can't stand.

I do heaps of essays, and all I get in reply is, Needs to have a stronger thesis 12/15. I got an ok thesis, but it depends on question. Grrr

I'd love some advice from previous HSCer's to see what they did for the Lear essay!

Btw, what scenes are we all using? I like the first and last scenes, so I use them, plus they're important.

Damn trials :mad1:

princesskt : Your personal response is how you interpret the play. You can state that it is influenced from other readings, such as the productions of Eyre and Brook (Brook's is so depressing, and imo utter crap). But you have to stick to your main response, and always relate to question.

Daaan

HSC
Of course you have a reading...! :)

Ok, at the end, do you think Lear is a dickhead and got what he deserved because his actions led to the consequences? Or can you sympathise with Lear over the pain of losing his daughter and his realisation of doing wrong?

See, those two ways for one are readings of how you portray different characters... First example there is nihilistic but the second is maybe more of a redemptive reading.

Etc etc, leads to all this kinda naff. This is why I hate this module. So much looking into things that you just want to enjoy (If you can enjoy the death of a family lol) instead of picking every little meaning out of the smallest things

*siiiggh* I'm still struggling with this, and the trial for English Paper 2 is tomorrow.... if only i knew question :mad1:

*plans way to bribe teachers*

princesskt

HSC
ohh rightio.. thanks :D Ha, im struggling big time too one of my scenes that ive got to know pretty well is act 4 scene 1, but i dont know wat else to have... and i dont want to drop the scene i do have just coz its my pet scene :p

princesskt

HSC
ohh rightio.. thanks :D Ha, im struggling big time too one of my scenes that ive got to know pretty well is act 4 scene 1, but i dont know wat else to have... and i dont want to drop the scene i do have just coz its my pet scene :p

Daaan

HSC
Try and do key scenes that relate to the question. It's best to study like 3 or so scenes, so that whatever question pops up, you can relate it to that.

I've just chosen two scenes, hope they relate, and if they dont, i'll bs my way through the exam (as per normal haha)

I've finally decided to study my scenes in depth and just look at my reading and other readings. Dunno what else I can do. :mad1:

You got your trials soon kt?

Daaan

HSC
Argh me too :(

Good luck anyway!

I've just realised I've been revising for around 10 hours straight now....

thats worrying :worried:

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
Hey, all you guys doing KL, would you mind if you tell me which school you go to? I'll prolly try calling them up to see if I can find a teacher who can help me with KL >.<;

Daaan

HSC
You are always going to have your own opinion of a play anyway Chinmoku, as you do with any text, Scrubs, Simpsons, Harry Potter, all that. The whole thing is about how Shakespeare puts the responder in the position to interpret the play in certain aspects.

Other productions and other readings can influence our reading, but it is our own point of view that does not tend to change.

You guys seemed to have it harder than I did, I hope you all did well :D

Daaan

HSC
Well it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...

I remember question I think, so I'll type it up. Be nice to see what others got.

'The enduring nature of King Lear is kept through successfully presenting the play in different ways'

Imagine you are in an open forum for King Lear and write a speech arguing for or against this statement.

I did ok I think, most likely another B or something.

How did everyone go?

and Chinmoku, I think you will get the same response from any teacher, its just dictated notes, plus the different readings. What you should do is just watch different productions, and look at their interpretations. Then see how you look at it, and just try to relate to question. If in doubt, bs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)