Who's doing Speeches?? (1 Viewer)

FinalFantasy

HSC
Are you planning to learn all 12 speeches?
Or take the risk and just learn some of your preferred ones?

fantasy27

HSC
N/A
i dont think taking the risk is worth it, because they can specify since the other prescribed texts for it are like novels or something, there is a more of a chance of a speech being specified..

im going to know a few in detail and have a brief idea of the rest, so if it is specified at least i can write something out for half a page or so!

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
fantasy27 said:
i dont think taking the risk is worth it, because they can specify since the other prescribed texts for it are like novels or something, there is a more of a chance of a speech being specified..

im going to know a few in detail and have a brief idea of the rest, so if it is specified at least i can write something out for half a page or so!
yeah, wise decision.
I think it would be best to know one of each type - feminist, ancient, ceremonial etc. Like, have Gettsyburg or Keating, Cicero or Socrates...

fantasy27

HSC
N/A
anything can be stipulated.. today i looked at the 2003 and 2004 CSSA Trials and both essay q's for speeches had a speech stipulated.. one was for atwood's spotty handedness.. and one for pearson's australia speech!

so our teacher's recommendation was to have ur favourites, but know all of them!

wizard146

HSC
Although the CSSA trials often tend to specify, the actual HSC is very unlikely to do this. If they were to specify a certain speech, to be fair they would also have to specify a certain scene of King Lear, a certain extract from Cloudstreet, etc etc. It's too much work and would use too much paper. Also, they're not all that interested in the text itself but how you deal with it. Your skills and abilities, not their ideas.
So you can probably get away with not knowing all of the speeches really well. Definately learn the argument and some quotes from each one, as you don't know what question they might ask you and you want to be as prepared as possible. But choose a couple to learn REALLY well, probably ones that you can use for a variety of questions. (I choose the short ones (eg Lincoln) because they are easy to memorise entirely!)

rcandelori

wizard146 said:
Although the CSSA trials often tend to specify, the actual HSC is very unlikely to do this.
Well you can't trust the Board of Studies. I think a couple of years back they specified Lincoln's speech and one other speech in the actual HSC, so don't think that they won't do it again.

The best way to attack the speeches is to know how the ideas each represent have transcended time, and whether the actual opinions each have propagated, have changed or not. So, personally, I would know one or two ancient speeches and a more modern speech so you can illustrate the similarities of opinions and how consummate orators will always be willing to speak about issues of injustice, inequality or change.

chrissy1988

essay question

do u guys memorise your esssays before the exams my teacher stresses that we dont because it doesnt fit the question do u guys meomrise essays??

hannyfannyyy

HSC
i have learnt about 4 thoroughly, i hope they dont ask about a specific speech because that would suck, lol.. but i do know a bit about each..

the speeches is my worst.. ugh.

hApPy1

HSC
fantasy27 said:

How does that work?

Isnt it supposed to be fair on both electives....i mean, if they specify speeches then they need to specify in King Lear, for example, "with refernce to Act 2. ii)...

hApPy1

HSC
wizard146 said:
Although the CSSA trials often tend to specify, the actual HSC is very unlikely to do this. If they were to specify a certain speech, to be fair they would also have to specify a certain scene of King Lear, a certain extract from Cloudstreet, etc etc. It's too much work and would use too much paper. Also, they're not all that interested in the text itself but how you deal with it. Your skills and abilities, not their ideas.
So you can probably get away with not knowing all of the speeches really well. Definately learn the argument and some quotes from each one, as you don't know what question they might ask you and you want to be as prepared as possible. But choose a couple to learn REALLY well, probably ones that you can use for a variety of questions. (I choose the short ones (eg Lincoln) because they are easy to memorise entirely!)
lol...missed that

roxie_b

HSC
they have only ever asked for lincoln, and that was a few years ago...my teacher thinks that because last year was such an open, inviting paper, that this year there might be a bit of a shake-up... i think that if they do specify (though i hope they dont), they'd specifiy either one of the more popular speeches eg. King, or they'll ask for eg. one Australian speech and one other. they can only specify one, so either way you can do your favourite and one other

HSC
How has everyone grouped the speeches or paired them up? Which one goes with which the best? I have a few pairings, but apparently it is better to choose speeches from different contexts in order to compare values and devices etc etc etc? What does everyone think?

Libbster

HSC
in the trial we had to do 3 speeches and I did Lincoln, King and Keating (all similar in that they talk about 'morality') and i received 20/20 but do whatever you feel comfortable with!

Mar1a_c

HSC
Hey does any1 know the Independent HSC Trial question from 2004 and 2005 question for Module B speeches, as I notice that the Board of Studies tends to give more of a hint to the HSC question in their paper as opposed to the CSSA papers I did.

d_a_n_z

HSC
Do the BOS write the independant papers? I was under the impression that the people who write the HSC arent allowed write/teacher year 12 papers

Abbeygale

HSC
wizard146 said:
If they were to specify a certain speech, to be fair they would also have to specify a certain scene of King Lear, a certain extract from Cloudstreet, etc etc. It's too much work and would use too much paper.
I wouldn't bank on this. In 2002 they specified a speech (and a specific poem for those studying Sylvia Plath), but didn't specify any scenes or extracts from the other prescribed texts.

Considering that they haven't specified since 2002, it's quite likely/possible they'll specify this year.

cigi_k

HSC
Used-by dates

*in the trial we had to do 3 speeches and I did Lincoln, King and Keating (all similar in that they talk about 'morality') and i received 20/20 but do whatever you feel comfortable with!*

Wow Libbster! Congratulations on a great Speeches mark and for your awesome ranks!

I am having a bit of trouble identifying which speeches have a used-by date and which don't and why? Could you help me please? I'd also really like to read a response of yours about Speeches. :)

So if you can help me, please email me at: cigi.bursa@gmail.com

Thanx.

If anyone else know anything about the response that these speeches received at the time of their oration or how they would be received today... please email me or post a comment. Thanx again. :)

Cigi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)