who's got a shit legal teacher? (1 Viewer)

powered by 06

HSC
i have the shittest legal teacher in the world. he stutters like a fag and i hate him. he also teaches us off some shit photocopies. what are your suggestions? what should i do?

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Change class/drop legal/compain/study by yourself

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
with all the humanities subjects one can actually study for themselves. you just need several sources to actually study from.

try heineman
macquarie revision
excel
longman

if you need case studies, try "hot topics" from liac

if you are in need of legislation try austlii

midnightblue

HSC
try doing only overheads, study guides and reading the textbook without any explanation on what it is. Then tell me how crap legal is!

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
legal studies can be a self-taught subject if you are willing to do so. i admit that it wastes time. however complaining will not get you any extra marks. do something about it

sophie_dybs

Elite!
HSC
hey guys... i saw this heading and just had to post my comment!
our legal class started off with 23 people and its down to 8... everyone dropped it coz of the teacher... they didnt want to fail because they didnt learn n e thing...
our teacher is lazy and just sits there and talks we NEVER do work!
its just a matter of learning independantly...

Nelg

HSC
sophie_dybs said:
hey guys... i saw this heading and just had to post my comment!
our legal class started off with 23 people and its down to 8... everyone dropped it coz of the teacher... they didnt want to fail because they didnt learn n e thing...
our teacher is lazy and just sits there and talks we NEVER do work!
its just a matter of learning independantly...
OMg no way my class started with like hmm 14 and it now had 4 or 5 i dont know i was one that droped it

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
You don't need a good legal teacher to do well
Just know the syllabus and its content, have case studies and refer to them in your answer to back up content.

TYCOT

Imperium
HSC
powered by 06 said:
i have the shittest legal teacher in the world. he stutters like a fag and i hate him. he also teaches us off some shit photocopies. what are your suggestions? what should i do?
my teacher really tries to teach but she just can't. her methods and organisation is just appauling, but i'd congradulate her for trying so hard. her previous (2005) HSC students did pretty good thou...

anyway i'd recommend teaching it to yourself and getting a tutor

L

lilsxcwog69

Hey I have shit legal teacher too. <i>She</i> used to photocopy the topics and then give us the questions that were in the booklet for homework without explaining.

Im currentlly teaching the subject to myself. Its much more easier and ironically more exciting.

Im using Legal Studies HSC Core book by Mohan Dhall and Katherine Dommerson ($24.95)

k8eeboi

HSC
I have a shit teacher too. He can't teach, and then he yells at us when why ask him 2 explain anything. He was rambling on for 1 term about something to do with crime, and I bought the excel text book and within 10 minutes of reading it, i understood everything that he was talking about. All that we have done this term 4 him is READ THE CONTENTS PAGE of our textbook which went out of date 10 years ago.

jessiej87

HSC
honestly if u work hard u will still do well

although the teacher being shit/lazy etc can effect ur mark ur extra effort WILL make up for their lack of skills or motivation

i use to sit in history and teach myself from the text book coz all my teacher did was talk talk talk - along with many others (and we were all ended up ranked in the top of the grade for history)

my advice is make summaries based on the syllabus - i was sick most of the year (in the hospital and did nothing for abour 5 months, and when i went back was basically too sick to do heaps of work) this is how i got by. basically for all subjects i was just given a shit load of photocopies and a textbook! so make a summary of the work (inc case studies!!) before exams this is what saved me. that and practice questions - u can make ur own based on the syllabus, find them on past papers and also here are bored of studies

if i can get 85 and not be at school for most of year 12 and teach myself for all my subjects an entire 1 1/2 terms of work for all of my subject u can manage it for legal! i know that face to face time is so valuble but u dont have it and there isnt anything u can do about it (if u cant change class or drop the subject) - try to still ask him questions if u dont understand something and get him to mark ur practice questions... as even the teachers who just photocopy things are slightly useful!

vg_woz_here

HSC
oh wow...congrats on getting 85

my teacher is not that crap..its just that she keeps on talking and talking...and we waste time..and shes sLow...we're still up to the first topic!! and its like...midway term1

dUyGu

HSC
I have the shittest legal teacher ever!!
he used to be my business studies teacher b4 i droped it because he couldnt teach for shit and because my legal teacher retired this yr he took over the class:(
all he does is makes us read textbook n summarise. he isnt even in class half the time and cant even explain properly.
we did a whole semester about crime and still half the class knows nothing about it.
we complain so much about him but still nothing has been done.
im starting my own syllabus points and hopefully i will pass.

thanks for all the tips!!

N

Newberry

well, i have a really good teacher. we get notes from at least three resources every lesson, and summarise them with her onto the board to copy down. it is also very rare to not get a few media documents or information links from her. shes heaps organised.........and i got my legal exam tomorrow so i should prolly be studying for it

Yazbeck

HSC
My legal teahcer has been teaching 4 yrssss so she assumes that everyone jst already knows everything and if we dont then the walls would come down....so all she is put overhead and tells up so copy but put in our own words ok?!?! can she explain first...its wot now end of term 1 i have my half yrlys in a week and a half and i dont know anything.....help!!! i gave up with the teacher and im sooo behide can any1 give me detaled summarys??? i hate my teacher!!!!!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
You should talk to your teacher, don't say "Omg I think u are crap..." but calmly explain that you are having difficulties and that you don't know what she is talking about, she probably assumes you know it all because no one speaks up (I've seen this happen in my uni classes often).

Don't panic, get the book out, slowly read over things and make notes as you read them, if there is something you don't understand look it up in another book, ask your teacher or ask here. You probably know more than you think, especially if you are writting it in your own words, we used to copy it out (which I can tell you isnt that effective).

Its not such a bad thing that she doesn't explain too much, since in uni they rarely explain anything :eek:

Find your study method and stick to it, it is possible to do fine on your own or meet up with friends to study :) You are just panicing, only now do I see how stressed I was for no reason. It will work out, just take charge and do somethign about it

If you need anything, i'll do my best to help - Mel

Sandez

Hay Guys
HSC
Newberry said:
well, i have a really good teacher. we get notes from at least three resources every lesson, and summarise them with her onto the board to copy down. it is also very rare to not get a few media documents or information links from her. shes heaps organised.........and i got my legal exam tomorrow so i should prolly be studying for it
Same here, she's awesome!

DirtyDancer

HSC
Wow and here i was thinking it was just my class! We have a bad teacher for legal as well. My friend and I even complained once, because we weren't learning anything because he would just talk and talk and talk and not really stay on the subject. He would photocopy literally, half a textbook and tell us to highlight and that was it. So after complaining we had to have a meeting and say what we wanted done about it, and for a week or two things were better but after that it went back to being the same as before. My friend (who's first in the class, im second) is seriously thinking of dropping it because of th teacher. These days i usually just do work out of the textbook. We use the Heinemann Legal Studies HSC as our text and there's plenty of HSC-style questions to practice on, so i do those and just summarise all the topics during class. Sometimes i tune in to what he says especially if its about a related case, but other than that, i find it easy to learn by myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)