who's thinking of doing b of psych at usyd (1 Viewer)

krush3r

HSC
i really wanna do B Arts (Psychology) the new course, but i ain't got the books to get in

crystalglint33

HSC
98.15 :) the cut off last year was 96.90, do u think it would go up, now that psychologists can get bulk billing?

sm88

HSC
It did go up from 2005. lol i dont think bulk billing will have that much of an effect on UAI.
I would LOVE to do psychology at USYD /B international studies but unfortunately my uai is not quite there. im still stoked with 91 though!! >_<
Is there any other way of getting into B psychology? from what ive heard B. Arts (psychology) doesnt actually give u the qualifications or more the title of psychologist! i really dont kno what else i can do. maybe i can get on my hands and knees and plead with the University of sydney people to let my study psychology... hmm i dont think that would help though. actually... maybe they would refer me to a psychologist. lol. ANYHOW yeah thats my dilemma

Etheral

HSC
96.8 wasn't it?

i really wanted in for this course, but now my mum has got me bamboozled, might go stick my head in the sand for a while and hope it has either remained or dropped. but atm im so lost with what i want

Last edited:
A

adamsaclown

sm88 said:
It did go up from 2005. lol i dont think bulk billing will have that much of an effect on UAI.
B. Arts (psychology) doesnt actually give u the qualifications or more the title of psychologist!

You can do anything with a B. Arts (majoring in psychology) degree that you can do with the B. Psych degree as long as you do an honours year (which is quite difficult to get into because of the demand). Some people may see B. Psych as more prestigious or whatever.

veridis

droog
HSC
adamsaclown said:
You can do anything with a B. Arts (majoring in psychology) degree that you can do with the B. Psych degree as long as you do an honours year (which is quite difficult to get into because of the demand). Some people may see B. Psych as more prestigious or whatever.
i'm pretty sure arts(psyc) give you the same preferential access to honors as b psyc does. the psych componant of both courses is identical but it's each one makes it easier to do either arts or sci elective with your spare units

Bob.

HSC
yeah im abit confused with the whole thing. do you do the same subjects if you were to do a Bpsych, Bsci or BA all majoring in psychology? I dont have the marks to get into Bsych but now i just wanna know which course would be bettter to do. Is it just at the end it will say BA or Bsci or is there an actual dfference in the things we learn.

gerhard

HSC
You will do exactly the same psych units. your other units will be different though. basically if you do a bscience you will have to do maths in first year and some science subjects. if you do a barts you will have to do a double major, one major in psych and one major in some other arts subject.

really the b psych course is just the normal b science course except that you are forced to do psychology units, whereas in b science you could do other subjects instead. theres no real difference between the two. if you do a bpsych or bscience (and choose psychology) in first year you will do maths, psych, a science elective (bio, chem, physics, etc), and another elective (doesnt have to be science, can be german or philosophy or whatever).

to become a psychologist you need to do honours and then a masters of clincal psychology. getting into honours is competitive but is available to anyone with a psych major, whether its from arts science or b psych.

Last edited:

Bob.

HSC
Ah ok thanks for that. Anyone got a guess at what the uai cutoff for the BA(psych) might be? Its hard waiting to see if you get an offer when you have no idea where the uai cutoff might be.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
That would be one of my dream courses, I would do anything to get into it. My UAI was horrible but maybe I'll be able to work my way there one day :)

A

adamsaclown

veridis said:
i'm pretty sure arts(psyc) give you the same preferential access to honors as b psyc does. the psych componant of both courses is identical but it's each one makes it easier to do either arts or sci elective with your spare units

that's correct. I meant whatever degree you do its hard to get into the psyc honours year because so many people apply and theres a limited number of spots. So its not like other science subjects where you just need a Credit average to get into honours, you usually need higher than that to get into psyc.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah, they always say minimum distinction average i think to get into honours

A

adamsaclown

yeah don't worry, they only look at 2nd and 3rd year marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)