WHos THINKING OF ENGINEERING AT UWS? (1 Viewer)

kido525

HSC
WHos THINKING OF ENGINEERING AT UWS?

Cause its at PENRITH

are u worried about the surroundings , the transport, the faculties give ur opinions please???

kido525

HSC
as for penrith campus is their ne good eateries >< i have no knowledge of ne

L

LaraB

'penrith campus' as such doesn't really exist in a way...

the campuses are werrington north and south and kingswood..

both have plenty of 'eateries' on campus and there are the usual macas n all that a 2 minute drive down the road...

transport isn't as bad as people think - there's shuttle buses from nearby train stations and public buses run from right outside the uni..

if anyone has questions about public transport - go on to the uws website coz there's infor about all that kind of thing as well as campus maps which outline facilities and the like.

kido525

HSC
LaraB said:
'penrith campus' as such doesn't really exist in a way...

the campuses are werrington north and south and kingswood..

both have plenty of 'eateries' on campus and there are the usual macas n all that a 2 minute drive down the road...

transport isn't as bad as people think - there's shuttle buses from nearby train stations and public buses run from right outside the uni..

if anyone has questions about public transport - go on to the uws website coz there's infor about all that kind of thing as well as campus maps which outline facilities and the like.

yea i the course i wanna do a penrith is engineering is it good at UWS and are the lecturers good , is the campus like lively is everyone sociable

L

LaraB

kido525 said:
yea i the course i wanna do a penrith is engineering is it good at UWS and are the lecturers good , is the campus like lively is everyone sociable
i have no idea about the course since i'm a law/bus student:p i don't recall anyone in here doing the course... so checkout the handbook online and give the student centre a call - the number's somewhere on the web site, coz the call centre is run by students from just about every faculty so you'll find someone who does the course:)

depends no which campus you're at and what time of day... i mean... whenever i've been to penrith, it seems it depends on the day how busy it is... same goes with every campus.. eg semester 1 2005, parra campus was pretty dead on wednesday's but absolutely packed on mondays and thursdays...

there's plenty of stuff to do on campus - natstar started a thread with a whole heap of links to useful info for prospective students - i suggest you hav ea look in that thread and have a look at some of the links posted coz that will give you a rundown of what each campus is like

klh

HSC
transport sucks sometimes, if its a long journey, jus tlike anywhere else...and ofcourse cityrail had imporved slightly so no more v.v.v.v late trains.

eateires: well the food is ok, its not 5 star...but just outside the campus, opp. kingswood station there is a shop called chicken man which has been popular fo rits nice and tasty chips [much better than in the uws cafeteria however!

poeple are social, if you stay in thebar, theres pool, triva nights, band comps etc and a gym!

about engineering, well i can tell you now its one of the most difficult courses out tehre and you really need to get into it straight away, i mean seriously no bull, unless oyur a mathswizz as my friend and ofcourse form what he knows [he does eng] that there is ahigh failure rate and you really ned to comit yourself to the coursework, which is very full on, even for first year. but the staff are realy nice, you get support if you genuinely look for it, usually the lectueres dont btu the tutors help unless you get an idiot and they have really good facilities. eng students get a special computer room and get to print for free...which has aroused much of rus students who have to pay...you just gotta breing your own paper, and you get high speed internet, like really high and not peak times...[my friend snealed m into the room lol.

its a great location if your the outdor type, very hilly but lots and lots of frsh air, youll enjoy some and not others..i mean who enjoys homework? [unless its interesting ofocurse]

kido525

HSC
klh said:
transport sucks sometimes, if its a long journey, jus tlike anywhere else...and ofcourse cityrail had imporved slightly so no more v.v.v.v late trains.

eateires: well the food is ok, its not 5 star...but just outside the campus, opp. kingswood station there is a shop called chicken man which has been popular fo rits nice and tasty chips [much better than in the uws cafeteria however!

poeple are social, if you stay in thebar, theres pool, triva nights, band comps etc and a gym!

about engineering, well i can tell you now its one of the most difficult courses out tehre and you really need to get into it straight away, i mean seriously no bull, unless oyur a mathswizz as my friend and ofcourse form what he knows [he does eng] that there is ahigh failure rate and you really ned to comit yourself to the coursework, which is very full on, even for first year. but the staff are realy nice, you get support if you genuinely look for it, usually the lectueres dont btu the tutors help unless you get an idiot and they have really good facilities. eng students get a special computer room and get to print for free...which has aroused much of rus students who have to pay...you just gotta breing your own paper, and you get high speed internet, like really high and not peak times...[my friend snealed m into the room lol.

its a great location if your the outdor type, very hilly but lots and lots of frsh air, youll enjoy some and not others..i mean who enjoys homework? [unless its interesting ofocurse]

interesting engineering is full on first yr how would u compare it to like medical science?

rckl

HSC
I am doing Engineering @UWS going into 2nd year...

klh

HSC
so could you further elaborate for our friend here, rckl?

im really sorry, but as i dont know much about the degree, my comments are a little thin...nevertheless, science is in ways similar to eng, you have alot of hours in class/tutes/labs/etc. i think oneof the most? I mean biz is only like 15hrs/pwk max for 4 units. I assume therefore that the more time = mroe tehory/info/knowledge to impart on students and so "full on" in my opinion as oppose to texrbook-ish work in biz. Med science seems hard, persoanlly as im not knowledgable about bio or any science except up to yr 10 worth...bt your learning physiology, chemicals, their intereaction in the body, to make chemicals etc., while engineering, depending on your chosen strand, will emphasise different things, but needs maths alot...eng maths 1 is no mean feat, my fridn barely passed and he did ext 1 maths, though he does admit he played games more that study..
however, they both have their "full on-ness", it depends on what you ecel at or interested in so you get motivated and actually do work. Uni is really free...its hard to get motivated when you have the liberty to not turn up at all, so it depends, but i do say that both courses are very full on as its the hours and the information you need to ge tinto your skull.

hope it helps...

rckl

HSC
everything have been answered above..

in the first year you have to complete 8 subjects..
6 subjects are related to maths....

one thing to remember:
work hard and pass all the units
or
it will take you forever to complete the course..
because most of the subject only run once a year @UWS
so if you failed a unit... Good luck and wait until next year....

....there is a high failure rate and you really need to comit yourself to the coursework.....
You are correct klh.....

L

LaraB

rckl said:
one thing to remember:
work hard and pass all the units
or
it will take you forever to complete the course..
GGOD ADVICE FOR EVERY!!!!! COURSE!!

especially ones with units that only run once a year or courses like combined degrees that take long enough as it is!

plus - some courses - co requisities and pre requisites will mean that if you fail a unit in one year - you may not be able to do some of the next year's ones....

not quite as much of a drama if it runs in summer school but not many non business and law ones do...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)