Why are ATAR cutoffs at University of Western Sydney far lower than USYD and UNSWS? (1 Viewer)

aspired

HSC
Why are ATAR cutoffs at University of Western Sydney far lower than USYD and UNSWS?

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Re: Why are ATAR cutoffs at University of Western Sydney far lower than USYD and UNSW

Demand demand demand.
And your typical UNSWer is better than a UWS student.

decca

HSC
Re: Why are ATAR cutoffs at University of Western Sydney far lower than USYD and UNSW

simply put, because UWS is crap compared to UNSW and USYD.

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC

laws of demand and supply.

Doomah

HSC

leChatliers Principle

melsc

Premium Member
HSC

Demand, more people want to got to Usyd and UNSW.

It is also a younger uni thus doesn't have the prestige AND the location (+ multiple campuses) make it a less popular option.

That said, the courses and textbooks used by students there are prety much the same. Don't listen to people who havent been there or current HSC students telling you it is crap. Talk to people who went there and remember reputation is not everything.

Best of luck

kickass91

HSC

same reason as why an actuarial studies degree has such a low atar requirement ~96 at unsw ~ 95 at ANU 97 at MQ? even though its one of the hardest

demand and supply

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC

but don't u get da same bachuler or degree or wateva in da end?:confused:

luk3tm

HSC
N/A

yeah mate but if u go to UNSW or UYSD u will get a degree that says "UNSW" or "UYSD" written on it instead of "UoWS." Not that University of western sydney is bad but UNSW and UYSD are top in the state.

Simply put, employers prefer top universities like UNSW or UYSD (which also usually have better teaching and stuff) and therefore these unis have higher starting salaries for most jobs and so they are harder to get into because more people wanna go there!

hope my explaination clears things up a bit

Last edited:

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC

Like for you, its bacholerette because you're all kewl and stuff. yeah, its like the same thing or wateva in the end, so keep tryin hord and shat for youz uws degre!!

yeah mate but if u go to UNSW or UYSD u will get a degree that says "UNSW" or "UYSD" written on it instead of "UoWS." Not that University of western sydney is bad but UNSW and UYSD are top in the state.

Simply put, employers prefer top universities like UNSW or UYSD (which also usually have better teaching and stuff) and therefore these unis have higher starting salaries for most jobs and so they are harder to get into because more people wanna go there!

I won't say you're wrong but the real world isnt as simple as just cherrypicking undergrads from the top ranked unis for everything. Different fields of employment vary on how they hire individuals.

I'll basically put it that students from universities apart from unsw/usyd will obviously stand a chance at employment. The thing is, you'll have to compete with new south asians and sydney private school kids.

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC

but wen u go n look 4 a job, da employer is gonna ask wat qualification u have? not wta uni did u go 2? lol

HSC

but wen u go n look 4 a job, da employer is gonna ask wat qualification u have? not wta uni did u go 2? lol
Uh, they might ask WHERE you got your qualification and all, just to make sure its authentic.

mr_robato

HSC

Zaz, if your simply after primary school teaching, UWS or USYD, won't matter. Confirmed job just as long as you maintain that credit average (65% i believe?).

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC

Zaz, if your simply after primary school teaching, UWS or USYD, won't matter. Confirmed job just as long as you maintain that credit average (65% i believe?).
okey well wat if i get 65? but da mark is about 72, i doubt they would accept me considering the marks they r after is about 72

chrisnumber1

HSC

that is kind of true, due to a diminished reputation caused by people who wanted to go to a different uni but couldn't, however if you get a scholarship it is often a better choice (5000 pa for 90+). as far as employers go i went for interviews for cadetships, and most employers had a tie to the closet uni. eg, parramatta prefered UWS, while ryde preferred Macquarie, however a common theme was a dislike of USYD, due to an inflexibility and "snobbery" in the courses, students and lecturers.

chrisnumber1

HSC

okey well wat if i get 65? but da mark is about 72, i doubt they would accept me considering the marks they r after is about 72
by your intelligent remarks one may only assume you are from the western suburbs, and for your sake i hope thats true. there is 5 bonus points if you are a GWS resident and additional marks for high bands in certain subjects related to the course (but look who i am talking to)

HSC
N/A

Because there's a huge drop in quality as soon as you leave the Go8 universities, and I say that in the least arrogant way possible.

omniscience

HSC
N/A

bcoz uws pwns usyd and unsw

AshVonB

HSC

that is kind of true, due to a diminished reputation caused by people who wanted to go to a different uni but couldn't, however if you get a scholarship it is often a better choice (5000 pa for 90+). as far as employers go i went for interviews for cadetships, and most employers had a tie to the closet uni. eg, parramatta prefered UWS, while ryde preferred Macquarie, however a common theme was a dislike of USYD, due to an inflexibility and "snobbery" in the courses, students and lecturers.

BAHAHAHAHAHA

Gold.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)