• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why are atheists on this website always attacking Christianity? (1 Viewer)

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
Do you see the word community in there? Obviously not. Religion is faith, belief in a theory of how the universe functions.
Not if the belief is based on a combination of epistemological concepts and physical evidence. Faith essentially just means belief without evidence.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Not if the belief is based on a combination of epistemological concepts and physical evidence. Faith essentially just means belief without evidence.
We are more than the sum of all our parts. The world holds more meaning than its immediate material reality. Have you never loved anyone dbd?

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
I'am Catholic and I can confidently say that there are no abhorent 'practices' in Christianity.
The restrictions on personal freedom that catholics advocate are reprehensible. Catholicism has a major responsibility in restrictions on fundamental freedoms such as euthanasia and abortion.

In a broader moral context, if you take a look at our society from the perspective of a moral nihilist or relativist, you can see that many of the restrictions and limitations on man in contemporary society exist under the implicit assumption that there is an absolute truth, and a certain correct way for individuals to live their lives and associate with other people.

Christian beliefs are the obvious historical source of this belief in absolute truth, in our society.

This includes such travesties as the 'war on drugs', and the despicable, unjust tax regime that is geared to favor certain lifestyles at the expense of others.

What you just pointed out are 'practices' of religion.

And yes I do agree that some extreme 'practices' of other religions are not acceptable such as the one that you pointed out.

However what I was talking about was 'beliefs'. There's a difference between the 'beliefs' of a religion and its 'practices'. What I was saying was that non - believers shouldn't pay disrespect to the 'beliefs' of other people.
I don't understand what you are getting at. There is no distinction between beliefs and practices. Where reprehensible practices are part of the mainstream of a religion, obviously there are abhorrent beliefs backing up these practices

The 'practice' in islam is to treat women as sub-human. The 'belief' is that women are inferior to men. The 'belief' is that it is acceptable to beat your wife for refusing sex.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Nothing reprehensible about bringing about the death of millions of Africans.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
lol I like how you casually label the murder of euthanasia and abortion as a 'fundamental freedom', mccain

Yes bad things happen and yes God must allow them to happen, but it's stupid to view this world as the beginning and end of our experience, and therefore an appropriate basis to cast judgement on our creator for. The manner of our life and death in this world is not the full picture. Christ suffered and died in the supreme act of love. This prompted and still prompts the biggest religious movement on the planet to proclaim this love and to live this love which has conquered death. Yet for you it is just a reason to not believe because it appeared cruel.
Get on board riet!

HSC
Christians are tolerant

TRY ATTACK ALL OPENLY IF THEY DARE

Last edited:

alphacow2

HSC
Firstly, i'm a Christian myself.

You guys gotta realise that, not everything is black or white.

Yes, there are Christians who go around talking to people, mind you even I sometimes get annoyed by them telling me how much i'd burn in hell and such, but those kinds of christians aren't the best, so don't think the rest of christians are like that.
But, if you think about it, theyre no different than door-to-door salesman, or advertisers, because thats what theyre doing, theyre advertising God. It's just that, some people don't like their method of "luring" people into Christianity.

People look down onto Christianity just because one priest may have touched a child or two, ok yeh so what? im certain there are many other old men who touch little children, and theyre not even Christians! Likely, aethiest, but do we Christians look down on aethiests? NO! we just see a dirty corrupted old man. But when we see a priest touching a child, we assume that priest represents the Church and God, and we instantly look down on God and Christianity.

Now with science, i've got this idea, i think i stole it from Dan Brown or some other guys book.
But i think Religion slows down Science. which is a good thing, when you think about it, science created the atom bomb, anthrax bomb, weapons of mass destruction and biological warfare and such. What has religion done? They've just gone on Purges and Genocides. So basically my point, without religion, i believe that the end of mankind and the future "wasteland" might be ALOT closer.

besides, couldn't you say aethiesm is a religion as well? if they dont believe in any gods and such, then isn't that a belief as well?

NCB619

I Am The Chorus
HSC
Firstly, i'm a Christian myself.

You guys gotta realise that, not everything is black or white.

Yes, there are Christians who go around talking to people, mind you even I sometimes get annoyed by them telling me how much i'd burn in hell and such, but those kinds of christians aren't the best, so don't think the rest of christians are like that.
But, if you think about it, theyre no different than door-to-door salesman, or advertisers, because thats what theyre doing, theyre advertising God. It's just that, some people don't like their method of "luring" people into Christianity.

People look down onto Christianity just because one priest may have touched a child or two, ok yeh so what? im certain there are many other old men who touch little children, and theyre not even Christians! Likely, aethiest, but do we Christians look down on aethiests? NO! we just see a dirty corrupted old man. But when we see a priest touching a child, we assume that priest represents the Church and God, and we instantly look down on God and Christianity.

Now with science, i've got this idea, i think i stole it from Dan Brown or some other guys book.
But i think Religion slows down Science. which is a good thing, when you think about it, science created the atom bomb, anthrax bomb, weapons of mass destruction and biological warfare and such. What has religion done? They've just gone on Purges and Genocides. So basically my point, without religion, i believe that the end of mankind and the future "wasteland" might be ALOT closer.

besides, couldn't you say aethiesm is a religion as well? if they dont believe in any gods and such, then isn't that a belief as well?
No.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Hahahaha are you serious? Also, it's "atheist".

A few things:
- you "stole your idea from Dan Brown", so you can be forgiven for unoriginal thought here
- science may have created the atom bomb, but it also created modern medicine, modern technology, and our ability to understand the world. What has religion ever given us?

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Not technically true, but I have some Atheist friends who tout their atheism so much and are so smug about it that it is virtually a religion for them. Soon they'll be wearing darwin fish necklaces and they're already touting Dawkins as being Jesus and "The God Delusion" as being the bible.

nightshade749

HSC
What has it given us?
Hope. Strength. And most importantly, Morals.
The values of western society are all based in Christian values. Most things we perceive as right and wrong have their roots in religion. Stealing is bad. Faithfulness is good. Etc...

What I want to know is why is everybody so against it?
Nobody said you HAVE to follow the religion. Can't we just let people believe what they want. I like vanilla, you might not. I am Christian, you might not be. What's the big deal????

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
What has it given us?
The values of western society are all based in Christian values. Most things we perceive as right and wrong have their roots in religion. Stealing is bad. Faithfulness is good. Etc...
Do they really? Are you sure about that? You're saying that before Christianity, say before 2000-odd years ago, nobody had any morals? No non-Christian, non-Western societies have any sort of values or morality?

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I think many people here have deviated from the topic, that is:

Why are atheists on this website always attacking Christianity?

The main point raised by people so far is that attacking Christianity is justified because many Christians are apparently immoral and do bad things.

This is a huge generalisation and the argument falls apart due to logic-defying step that just because some people who claim they are representing Christian values do bad things that Chritianity is hence bad and must be attcked. A simple analogy to rebut this point is this:

An atheist commits murder. From the above logic applied by many to Christianity, this must mean atheism is bad. Clearly this is idiotic logic.

Just because someone says they are Christian doen't mean that they truly, sincerely obey in Christian values and actions by these people should not instantly be linked to religion but the failings of humanity as a whole.

All people regardless of beliefs are capable of doing bad things, not Christians especially. There is no reason to attack Christianity.

K

khorne

Point is, generalisations are made from what happens in general. Since most christians on this site are like that, many people try to disprove their "logic" and "theories", which they are right to do so.

NCB619

I Am The Chorus
HSC
What has it given us?

What I want to know is why is everybody so against it?
Nobody said you HAVE to follow the religion. Can't we just let people believe what they want. I like vanilla, you might not. I am Christian, you might not be. What's the big deal????

Morals? Everyone has morals whether they are affiliated with a religion or not. Morals don't always have to be good.

OK, as a religious person yourself, you do know that people actually LIVED before the commandments (or mitzvot for Jews) were handed down. People were punished for stealing beforehand.

Why am I so against religion? Because there is that many different ones that someone's gotta be wrong...I'm just betting that everyone is.

Why can't we let people believe what they want? It seems like the same thing is happening to us with this thread. When people have different viewpoints, what do you think happens? You can't let...let's say, court proceedings (hey, its different viewpoints) be ignored just because the two parties are at differing standpoints. People are different, and people are going to debate things. Deal with it.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
@khorne

Certainly I believe that disproving their 'logic' is justifiable but attacking (eg. abusing, insulting) Christianity is unjustified. That is the difference I'm trying to point out. You could say, I encourage debate, but I don't encourage blatant insulting.

lychnobity

HSC
@khorne

Certainly I believe that disproving their 'logic' is justifiable but attacking (eg. abusing, insulting) Christianity is unjustified. That is the difference I'm trying to point out. You could say, I encourage debate, but I don't encourage blatant insulting.
But if their "logic" is based on Christianity, why shouldn't it be attacked?

mirakon

nigga
HSC
You haven't being paying attention have you? You should dispute logic you think is faulty, not attack it. There is a difference. Address the topic that says 'attacking'. Attacking is discrimination not based on logic, it's just insulting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)