Why are atheists on this website always attacking Christianity? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
I, myself think there is no God in terms of what religions have put God as a god that kills people, like the noah's ark, etc. He is almighty yet many people suffer in this world. He is perfect but he made an imperfect world. He cannot communicate with us anymore after Jesus died. I do not think God would allow anything bad happening.

Actually, you need more faith to believe in NO GOD than GOD, because God is a very easy thing to believe in because it kinda gives u comfort, and safeness, and u are always 100% scared of him. Plus, many of u people say YOU DO THINGS FOR GOD. IF he is that strong and powerful, why does he need servants or (slaves). PLus I think the Ten commandments is crap, because it contains more than ten commandments, and I think God forgot to tell its people that slavery is another thing that cannot be done and I dun mention him telling us that we should make peace while God can kill people and send them to hell and love them at the same time?

Plus, the adam and eve story is very awkward. If god made the tree of knowledge of evil, how the hell did he make it, if he isn't evil. The bible said god was to test their faith (or people say) but what the hell would a god test people if he is perfect. If he created humans just for this I think he would have tested us for 2 million years.

God made the Earth in 7 days while the galaxy was formed in microseconds. I guess God has its limits......

But if there was God I think he would be perfect, but I dun see it this way therefore I have reasons to believe in no god. PLus I think I am targeting every religion just not christians, believe me or not, christians that believe in GOD ARE TURNING GAY. I though the bible said no homosexuals were allowed. If God killed one of them, I think he should be put in jail. THEREFORE he should have been in jail for infinity years because he has killed so many people. That satan hasn't even bothered to kill that many.

I honestly think, we are now in 2009 going to 2010, we should use logic to determine the truth and false.

If you believe in the bible, you should have killed so many people including your children. And the bible should not be rejected right?????

THE BIBLE IS SHIT.
hey Im muslim and I want to blow you up

CecilyMare

HSC
Christianity has been exploited over the years by dreadful Evangelicals. It was taught almost like the constitution when it first started, and now we have people shoving their OMG IF YOU MASTURBATE YOU'RE GOING TO HELL crap down our throats and also abusing the religion into abusing homosexual freedom.

Nobody should be taking the bible seriously. It contains flaws because it's been passed down by word of mouth and drastic editing.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
seek first
the kingdom of God

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Plus, the adam and eve story is very awkward. If god made the tree of knowledge of evil, how the hell did he make it, if he isn't evil. The bible said god was to test their faith (or people say) but what the hell would a god test people if he is perfect. If he created humans just for this I think he would have tested us for 2 million years.
er, the tree isn't evil man, maybe you should actually go read the bible before criticising it, it just makes you look really ignorant =/

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Religion Atheism
Belief in God(s) Yes No
Prayer Y N
Churches / temples Y N
Holy Book / Scripture Y N
Priests / religious leaders Y N
Belief in supernatural (including angels / devils) Y N
Miracles Y N
Afterlife Y N
Holy wars Y N
Heaven / Hell Y N
Lifestyle restrictions (dress, diet, marriage etc. etc.) Y N
Belief without evidence (faith as a virtue) Y N
Belief despite conflicting evidence Y N
Supernatural origins of universe and / or humans Y N
Murderous fundamentalist extremists Y N
Annoying street / doorstep preachers Y N
The soul Y N
Regular ceremonies / acts of worship Y N
Sin Y N
Blasphemy Y N
We are God's chosen people Y N

chuboy

HSC
religion atheism
belief in god(s) yes no
prayer y n
churches / temples y n
holy book / scripture y n
priests / religious leaders y n
belief in supernatural (including angels / devils) y n
miracles y n
afterlife y n
holy wars y n
heaven / hell y n
lifestyle restrictions (dress, diet, marriage etc. Etc.) y n
belief without evidence (faith as a virtue) y n
belief despite conflicting evidence y n
supernatural origins of universe and / or humans y n
murderous fundamentalist extremists y n
annoying street / doorstep preachers y n
the soul y n
regular ceremonies / acts of worship y n
sin y n
blasphemy y n
we are god's chosen people y n
+1

jiratic

HSC
its rather amusing how the leading atheists. i.e. dawkins use science and logic to express their viewpoints, and although generally express disdain about organised religion, they don't shove their beliefs down everyones throat.
But say, Limbaugh and other US evangelicals, consider atheists slightly above dirt in the pecking order, and denounce them as freedom hating terrorists that hate America.

myself I have no problem with religion, so long as you don't force your beliefs on others, or god forbid justify the union of church and state.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
its rather amusing how the leading atheists. i.e. dawkins use science and logic to express their viewpoints, and although generally express disdain about organised religion, they don't shove their beliefs down everyones throat.
But say, Limbaugh and other US evangelicals, consider atheists slightly above dirt in the pecking order, and denounce them as freedom hating terrorists that hate America.

myself I have no problem with religion, so long as you don't force your beliefs on others, or god forbid justify the union of church and state.
Ahhh... pretty sure that releasing books called "God is not Great" and "The God Delusion" are clearly meant to be standout, ram down your throat tactics...

So my Church is this coming Monday the 30th November showing "Collision" http://www.collisionmovie.com the debate between Christopher Hitchens and Pastor Douglas Wilson... and I'm sure you'll find some down to earth answers there...

The invite is open. Get your tickets from the Dendy. After there will be a discussion with noted atheist Peter Slezak (Senior Lecturer School of History and Philosophy at the University of NSW ) and Christian author Greg Clarke (A director of the new Centre for Public Christianity in Sydney and Director of the Macquarie Christian Studies Institute at Macquarie University.)

(yes I know it's the same as my other post... but its relevant and people in Sydney should come and see it because it's a really interesting debate that answers questions arguments on both sides of this debate in a logical, academic way)

Cazic

HSC
Ahhh... pretty sure that releasing books called "God is not Great" and "The God Delusion" are clearly meant to be standout, ram down your throat tactics...
Sure, stand out (and also a good descriptor of what they discuss - that is, a good, relevant, title), but hardly what anyone would call "ram down your throat" tactics. Nobody is forced to pick up the book and read it. Nobody. And if you do pick it up, you're free to put it down at any time.

trickx

HSC

So my Church is this coming Monday the 30th November showing "Collision" http://www.collisionmovie.com the debate between Christopher Hitchens and Pastor Douglas Wilson... and I'm sure you'll find some down to earth answers there...

The invite is open. Get your tickets from the Dendy. After there will be a discussion with noted atheist Peter Slezak (Senior Lecturer School of History and Philosophy at the University of NSW ) and Christian author Greg Clarke (A director of the new Centre for Public Christianity in Sydney and Director of the Macquarie Christian Studies Institute at Macquarie University.)

(yes I know it's the same as my other post... but its relevant and people in Sydney should come and see it because it's a really interesting debate that answers questions arguments on both sides of this debate in a logical, academic way)
Already watched it while it was ripped onto youtube for a few days.

Brilliant doco. Definately worth the watch. Haha the music was pretty badass too. But I think Wilson came off second best and he got absolutely creamed when they promoted the movie on US networks.

Hitchens has to be the best orator of our time.

Teclis

HSC
Sure, stand out (and also a good descriptor of what they discuss - that is, a good, relevant, title), but hardly what anyone would call "ram down your throat" tactics. Nobody is forced to pick up the book and read it. Nobody. And if you do pick it up, you're free to put it down at any time.
As opposed to what Christians do? You're free to turn off the TV, put down the book or walk away. You're even free to not listen...

Already watched it while it was ripped onto youtube for a few days.

Brilliant doco. Definately worth the watch. Haha the music was pretty badass too. But I think Wilson came off second best and he got absolutely creamed when they promoted the movie on US networks.

Hitchens has to be the best orator of our time.
Hitchens jumped one ladder rung for me because of this doco. He went from alcoholic intellectual wanker with a superiority complex to... well I no longer think he has a superiority complex. He's still an alcoholic and an spends most of his time being an intellectual wank. Granted he wasn't too bad in Collision because he was for once debating with an Intelligent Christian who believed what he said.

I don't reckon either of them came of 2nd best... they kind of made different points. Wilson believes that Christianity in its original intended context is good for the world, Hitchens believes some parts of it are and that some aren't. Hitchens never really answered the question on by what Moral standard he assesses Christianity, particularly in reference to Vicarious redemption...

trickx

HSC
Hitchens jumped one ladder rung for me because of this doco. He went from alcoholic intellectual wanker with a superiority complex to... well I no longer think he has a superiority complex. He's still an alcoholic and an spends most of his time being an intellectual wank. Granted he wasn't too bad in Collision because he was for once debating with an Intelligent Christian who believed what he said.

I don't reckon either of them came of 2nd best... they kind of made different points. Wilson believes that Christianity in its original intended context is good for the world, Hitchens believes some parts of it are and that some aren't. Hitchens never really answered the question on by what Moral standard he assesses Christianity, particularly in reference to Vicarious redemption...
LOL that is what makes him so awesome. An intellectual with a rockstar status.

Yeh, it wasn't really much of a debate. More of an exchange of points thrown across the court. Though towards the end, in the bar, the audience was hella hammering onto Wilson. He was in all sorts.

Cazic

HSC
As opposed to what Christians do? You're free to turn off the TV, put down the book or walk away. You're even free to not listen...
Of course, everyone can simply say "no" to anything they like, but the ability to say "no" is not exactly my idea of "we're not ramming stuff down your throat". As you know, many Christians take it a whole lot further than a TV show or a book - in fact, the TV shows I see early in the morning are generally a good example of "ram it down your throat" tactics. Beyond that though there are many more examples, and again I suspect you know this. For instance, one pair of Christians were recently handing out edited versions of Darwin's "On the Origin of Species", with a special introduction complete with references to Hitler, at US college campuses. Then there's the never ending proselytizing, where some Christians will go so far as to come to your front door just to get some of it in.

The day you see atheists doing any of these things, as opposed to them giving their books a title that you simply don't like, then you can start making comparisons.

CecilyMare

HSC
Of course, everyone can simply say "no" to anything they like, but the ability to say "no" is not exactly my idea of "we're not ramming stuff down your throat". As you know, many Christians take it a whole lot further than a TV show or a book - in fact, the TV shows I see early in the morning are generally a good example of "ram it down your throat" tactics. Beyond that though there are many more examples, and again I suspect you know this. For instance, one pair of Christians were recently handing out edited versions of Darwin's "On the Origin of Species", with a special introduction complete with references to Hitler, at US college campuses. Then there's the never ending proselytizing, where some Christians will go so far as to come to your front door just to get some of it in.

The day you see atheists doing any of these things, as opposed to them giving their books a title that you simply don't like, then you can start making comparisons.
I already see them doing these things. They get agitated over someone even just suggesting a possibility of there being a deity, regardless of Christianity talk or any religion talk and insult them because apparently these deists/agnostics can't read science textbooks.

Teclis

HSC

Well Christians take it further than a TV show or book because we are mandated too... granted some people are completely inappropriate.

But for instance, the reason that they ran the "Jesus, All about Life" TV campaign was due to the fact that studies show that some large percentage over 50 (I'm not going to quote it exactly because I can't remember) of people in Sydney don't even know a Christian, let alone what Christianity is about short of some dude called Jesus and the stories of Noahs Ark, Moses, The Creation and some Whacky Revelations dialogue... and what the Da Vinci Code taught them.

The whole point was to get people thinking about it and get to know Christians.

The door knocking is an amazing Ministry because it provides people a platform to ask questions (granted the person doing it should know what they're talking about), but also to meet people in their community and such...

The American TV tele-evangelists you see in the morning... every Bible believing Christian deeply cringes at the mention of it... usually... specifically because there have been some amazing evangelists like Billy Graham.

Also, you have to remember that a large number of of American Christians are cultural Christians, not Bible believing, theologically correct Christians. The Republican Voting, Gun toting, throw their Children out if they get Pregnant or have an Abortion, Gay bashing bigots who ruin the name of Christianity far worse than any Gay in a Church ever could. Those are the kind of people who hand out edited copies of The Origin of Species... people that I personally tell to dress down, and go and read Luke, because Jesus gives strict words to "religious" people like them.

Wow... that's some incoherent babbling... but I can't be stuffed editing it

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I respect the indiwiddle too much to harass them with something like doorknocking. Leading by example is really the only thing a Christian can do. Words are cheap and often conceal great contradictions etc - Christ said that!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)