Why are sciences and mathematics scaled so well? (1 Viewer)

dp624

HSC
Lol, haha, I did the subjects I liked the most by far.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
joshoh said:
Year 10 subject selection advised by staff
'Do the subjects you enjoy and are comfortable with'

Follow through.

Learn halfway down the track that is is bullshit as far as getting a high UAI is concerned.

I took Standard, Music 1, Ancient, Drama ( big mistake not what I thought it would be, still did ok though) Hospitality and dropped media.

Got good HSC results, UAI pretty crap. I expected it.

Lucky I didnt need it as my course is based on audition and interview. HOWEVER...........I think the whole system sucks.

Talking to my mate in UK, what you get as a mark eg: A B OR C, this determines your entrance to uni. YOUR mark, not everyone elses. Simple eh?

As for the scientific mind being superior to the artistic mind......
I aint even gonna go there because we all know this generalisation is untrue in the REAL world.

Full Kudos to those of your that did well with the sciences, If I had of taken them I would of crashed and burned, just as a mathematition would with art!
probably, but i can guarantee you i spent more time doing 2u maths than you did on one of ur 2unit subjects

joshoh

HSC
lol, proberly mate.Good luck for this year.
I'm not knocking anyone

May I just add, I had a part time job, (proceeds from which I bought a car) and got a girlfriend about 3 months before the HSC ( perfect timing) It was my choice.
But you know what?,I dont give a fiddlers fuck about who works harder at what blah blah.
I will do well because I believe in what I am and what I do and am looking forward to my course.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
probably, but i can guarantee you i spent more time doing 2u maths than you did on one of ur 2unit subjects
and thats you
i can bet i put more effort into my pip, just 30% of my hsc mark, than you did in 2unit math. same for my hist ex mw.

personal preference and aptitude. utilise it
i didnt take a single science and got 95.25

lionking1191

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
and thats you
i can bet i put more effort into my pip, just 30% of my hsc mark, than you did in 2unit math. same for my hist ex mw.

personal preference and aptitude. utilise it
i didnt take a single science and got 95.25
lol since when did effort = reward for anything?

dp624

HSC
I know people who didn't take a single science and got like 99.65. Didn't get band6s all round either.

Oh yeah *facepalms* a 100er from my school didn't do 4u maths nor any sciences.

lionking1191

HSC
dp624 said:
I know people who didn't take a single science and got like 99.65. Didn't get band6s all round either.

yeah i know people who gets 99.95 with neither maths nor sciences too.

wait.

someone at ruse who doesn't do 4umaths???? hahaha. ;)

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
dp624 said:

whoa 3u maths 4u english for sure then? did they do hist extn or something?

dp624

HSC
clintmyster said:
whoa 3u maths 4u english for sure then? did they do hist extn or something?
yeah, 3u maths
and im not sure about 4u eng. it's not as if extension englishes scale that well anyways
and they got a few state ranks in the humanities so that helped =P

georgefren

HSC
Dude 3maths 4eng for the win. And Dp, English4 doesnt scale well at ALL, but it doesnt need to. It's easy enough if your gifted at creatives to get 50 without that much effort. Its basically a free 50 scaled for the UAI.

dp624

HSC
but for 50 aligned in 4u = maybe only 48 scaled
there is an ENORMOUS number of 50s in ext2 eng lol. and a lot of anomalous marks too

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
lionking1191 said:
lol since when did effort = reward for anything?
uh, i think my uai/hsc results are an indicator that effort = reward.

ditto for most things in life
im a hard worker at my hotel
im a junior manager and make like 23$ an hour

its really effort + time and consideration spent = reward.
anyone can excell if they put in the effort

unless youve got a learning disability i guess
=\

dp624

HSC
yea i agree, cram and work hard and you can get *most* things
for everything else there's pure talent

but note that reward doesn't necc. mean that a lot of effort was in it

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
dp624 said:
yea i agree, cram and work hard and you can get *most* things
for everything else there's pure talent

but note that reward doesn't necc. mean that a lot of effort was in it
thats true, but i only know a handful of people who can excell and put very little effort in.

i take pride in working really hard. its just something i enjoy and do well. being recognised for your work is more satisfying when you know your poured a lot of yourself in it.

lionking1191

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
thats true, but i only know a handful of people who can excell and put very little effort in.

i take pride in working really hard. its just something i enjoy and do well. being recognised for your work is more satisfying when you know your poured a lot of yourself in it.
yes of course but in life things are seldomly fair. if you work hard you'll achieve something. but the degree of effort and reward differs from person to person and effort does not always equal success. and i think i disagree with the 'anyone can excel if they work hard'

dp624

HSC
One of my closest friends got 99.95 by cramming and working hard throughout the year. There are a lot of people in my school who aren't purely smart but get the marks by working hard.
of course it'll be heaps diff in the outside world, lol

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
lionking1191 said:
yes of course but in life things are seldomly fair. if you work hard you'll achieve something. but the degree of effort and reward differs from person to person and effort does not always equal success. and i think i disagree with the 'anyone can excel if they work hard'
maybe im just too idealistic.
maybe ive just always excelled by working hard? it was perhaps narrow to assume i could impose the same ideals and results on others.
BUTICANTRY

I just dont like the idea of doing something halfassed and getting what you want. I find that at work, those people always end up leaving or being told to leave. If you misrepresent yourself and dont at least try to give it 100%, people will let you go eventually.

georgefren

HSC
Nu-uh, dp. a raw 50 in Eng4 to get scaled will depend on your other 2 and 3 unit english marks. And im pretty sure i'll get 49 or 50 in 3 unit, so it'll get scaled to a 50. woo! free 50!

lionking1191

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
maybe im just too idealistic.
maybe ive just always excelled by working hard? it was perhaps narrow to assume i could impose the same ideals and results on others.
BUTICANTRY

I just dont like the idea of doing something halfassed and getting what you want. I find that at work, those people always end up leaving or being told to leave. If you misrepresent yourself and dont at least try to give it 100%, people will let you go eventually.
its good to give 100% in whatever you do. if everyone was like that the world would be a much nicer place.

but the original focus of the argument is that people are endowed with differing types and degrees of talent, and the degree of effort that one needs to input to reach their respective goals too often vary dramatically.

dp624

HSC
georgefren said:
Nu-uh, dp. a raw 50 in Eng4 to get scaled will depend on your other 2 and 3 unit english marks. And im pretty sure i'll get 49 or 50 in 3 unit, so it'll get scaled to a 50. woo! free 50!
no way dude.
i'm almost definite of this.
no way is it a sure-50. more like sure 48

oh yeah raw 100% gets the 100 scaled.
but you dont need a raw 100% to get 50/50 aligned.

and considering all the anomalous stuff to do with 4u eng... lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)