• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why can't I remember anything? (1 Viewer)

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
I've been studying for my trials for the past 2-3 weeks but I can't seem to get it all in my head.
As soon as I go to do a past paper, it goes straight out of my mind.
I'm stressing out as my trials are next week and i'm not sure if i've prepared enough for the tests... which makes it even harder to study..
Please help. btw i've been staying up quite late the past week or so..

Last edited:

NFmusic1995

HSC
When you are depressed/stress it actually inhibits and limits your memory capacity.

Relax, sit down for 30minutes and tell yourself you can do it, i trust me i was like you , but if you mentally think u can do it, it surprisingly is much easier!

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Chill and relax for a day or two to get your head on the game once a fortnight :)

Streetboy

HSC
N/A
I feeling exactly like you, just now- I also prepared hard but feel that I am forgetting some stuff, for example I do a past paper then I forget my equations, I think making your own notes but as short as possible like 8 pages max for each of your topics, that way your marking notes that are concise and easy to revise before you trials. I suggest opening your notes and summaiseing it to a sentence for each dot point, this way it is easiery to just memorize it quickly espiecially if you have 1 week, write these notes out three times, trust it works well. orthwise you will fail, if you don't because you can't really study 30 pages per topic espicially if you have 4 subbjects to prepare.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Take out a piece of paper, draw mind maps with dot points of the overarching sections within a core topic. Mentally note what you can write about, and if you only know the name of a topic and none of the actual content, go read it.

jnney

lemon
HSC
-Because you're stressed/anxious/worried/in a constant state of panic
-Because you're not taking enough breaks/a breather, or allowing time for yourself to absorb the information
-Because you're sleep deprived

I know how you feel, because I was exactly like you back in year 11/12. I suggest doing shorter study blocks, and any kind of activities (your hobbies, exercising, cooking, reading, whatever) in between so you don't feel like you're suffocating under all the information. Also, get the sleep you need. There are enough hours in the day already, so don't cut it down for more study. Maybe you can test your knowledge with a friend to make sure you're on track with everything you need to know. Once you review/learn something, sit and let yourself absorb the information. Don't just rush and move on to learn another 1000 billion things. Review what you've learnt tomorrow. Keep notes of the things you think you'll forget. Teach it to somebody, that will help you remember too.

Finally, know that you're doing the best you can and that's all that matters. You'll be as prepared as you could ever be, so try to be too worried about not doing well. Remind yourself that whenever you feel stressed or tired or worried.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I answered your question or if I went completely off road. In any case, good luck! :)

Bobbo1

HSC
-Because you're stressed/anxious/worried/in a constant state of panic
-Because you're not taking enough breaks/a breather, or allowing time for yourself to absorb the information
-Because you're sleep deprived

I know how you feel, because I was exactly like you back in year 11/12. I suggest doing shorter study blocks, and any kind of activities (your hobbies, exercising, cooking, reading, whatever) in between so you don't feel like you're suffocating under all the information. Also, get the sleep you need. There are enough hours in the day already, so don't cut it down for more study. Maybe you can test your knowledge with a friend to make sure you're on track with everything you need to know. Once you review/learn something, sit and let yourself absorb the information. Don't just rush and move on to learn another 1000 billion things. Review what you've learnt tomorrow. Keep notes of the things you think you'll forget. Teach it to somebody, that will help you remember too.

Finally, know that you're doing the best you can and that's all that matters. You'll be as prepared as you could ever be, so try to be too worried about not doing well. Remind yourself that whenever you feel stressed or tired or worried.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I answered your question or if I went completely off road. In any case, good luck! :)
+1, try to break your study with rest/entertainment breaks so it doesn't get boring...

bushyak

HSC
Staying up super late is probably one of the worst things you can do, your body needs rest so it can function properly. When I have mental blanks it usually helps to say things out loud and repeat them to myself until it gets in my head, but what works for me might not work for others. Hope that helps, and remember sleep is vital!

HSC
Relax every 30 mins and take a break and after you learn something new try looking away from the work and repeat it or draw / write it out

Elisa Sweet

HSC
Make sure you don't over-study, that can contribute to you not remembering. Also I think it might be a good idea to analyse how you study and readjust it. Try finding out your learning style, as that may help.

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks guys, I took some of your advice and it has helped me alot :) <3 BOS community

jasonz1c

HSC
N/A
I'd really recommend finding out what your learning style is. Everyone has a learning style that is best for them.

There's online questionnaires that you can do to figure yours out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)