Why did only humans develop our great brains? (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Why did only humans develop our great brains?
I know it's a question like asking "why didn't humans get the ability to fly", but we seem to be a remarkably different species due to our greater intelligence.

My theory is that we actually killed off the species that were our competition.

HSC
What a retarded thing to postulate.

Cuz some monkeys decided to have a nice big circle jerk?

If we knew how evolution worked we wouldn't still be... I dunno... us?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
As is my understanding, the Raptors developed similar brains and are just waiting until we head for the long grass, slash open each and every abdonmen with the blood making dripping noises and so forth.
Dolphins are similarly devious. 'So long and thanks for all the fish' type stuff.

FuckLiberals

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Why did only humans develop our great brains?
I know it's a question like asking "why didn't humans get the ability to fly", but we seem to be a remarkably different species due to our greater intelligence.

My theory is that we actually killed off the species that were our competition.
Easy question...intelligent design. It's the only answer.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I think ntb might have been looking for something deeper.

I would agree that we killed (or bred out) any competition. However on top of that I think that our different diet whilst evolving enabled us to grow bigger brains. eg a high protein diet.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Hahaha.
We ate them all.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea I've heard that before, that because we learnt to cook meat we were able to consume more protein and therefore developed larger brains/bodies. In a discussion on another forum someone suggested that perhaps it was because we had greater vocal communication, however that doesn't take account of the various other ways to communicate.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
We're the only ones with a conscience - we can reflect on complex futute implications and organise ourselves accordingly.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
We develeoped our brains because we needed to. I mean, look, we have no defensive or offensive weapons on our bodies; we're ungainly, by the time we became sentient we lost our excellent climbing abilities. We needed that fucking brain, and only those who HAD a smarter brain live to tell the tale and pass the damn thing on.

Hence, it got bigger, better, and here we are today! Whoopdedoo!

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
EDIT: Consider this post as in reply to Iron.

Yes but conscience is a product of our large brains not a cause of it.

My favourite eating theory is the nice seafood one - the creatures who evolved into us happened to live near the sea. In time they learnt to eat seafood the protein and other stuff rich seafood gave us big brains. Unlikley but romantic (in a non French way....).

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Duh. I wasn't being Lamarkian and suggesting our consciousness (NOT CONSCIENCE) was a CAUSE of big-brained-ness. I was being flippant.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
We develeoped our brains because we needed to. I mean, look, we have no defensive or offensive weapons on our bodies; we're ungainly, by the time we became sentient we lost our excellent climbing abilities.
We're remarkably good throwers, I was watching a thing on tv where they were claiming we probably used to throw stones. But it's not always about 'need' with evolution.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Well, yes. You have the ability, or you die out. You pass it on, you live, you mutate, pass on mutations, survival of fittest, ETCETERA AD INFINITUM.

hipPo3

HSC
I only think its because we have the instinct to better ourselves and learn.
If u've ever watched Discovery channel, they showed this documentary on early primates .. Our ancestors learn from mistakes and teach the young, as do we .. so naturally this evloves into what we are to this day.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
But if you look further, most animals have the ability to learn from mistakes - not just us humans. Primates aren't special - chimpanzees, in particular. In fact, they're pretty slow compared to dolphins. *shrug*

noel edge

HSC
We needed to develop superior intellect to allow for individuals to move beyond self-awareness and to develop proper social awareness. The ability for humans to collobrate is the crux of our dominance.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well i wouldn't say we're the 'dominant' species, we're probably the most 'impressive', but the species that simply reproduce millions are probably much more dominant.

hipPo3

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Well i wouldn't say we're the 'dominant' species, we're probably the most 'impressive', but the species that simply reproduce millions are probably much more dominant.
why aren't we the 'dominate' species ? Sure some species reproduce ALOT faster then us, and are immune to practically all those pesky diseases but we have the ability to wipe out entire species and to erradicate any threats in time. We also can defend ourselves from predetors in a way not many creatures can .. with fire and metal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)