why did you chose the degree you are doing? (1 Viewer)

gigi2000

simple question, what made you decide to do what you are doing? are you really certain that what you are studying will lead you into what you want to do in life?
just asking as i chose to study a bachelor of commerce and have now realised that it is totally not for me. I'm thinking about trasnferring into a bachelor of nutrition and dietetics - something completely different! When i think back to last year and why i chose commerce i have no idea... i was so confused to have to decide which direction my life would take, and i still have no idea....
cheers
gigi

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Chose my first degree (B.CompSci) because I liked computers, found out I hated the science of computers so switched to a BInfoTech and got the hell out of town (graduated).
Second piece of paper was for work (GradDipVocEd).
Third was for a bit of a laugh (MOE).
Next one will be in case I decide to go teach english overseas (MAppLing) and one to have another bit of a laugh (MArts).
Then i'll probably do one for fun (MIT) and another for a bit of a laugh just to say I have one (BArts).
Then I might actually do one to increase my job prospects (MBA).
Finally a PhD in there somewhere would be a laugh too and a DBA or DEd.

All up around 10 pieces of paper, only 7 to go, should take me 5 or so years.

I haven't found a piece of paper that really takes my fancy yet so I will just keep trying different ones. The prices are quite reasonable so why not.

HSC
You're kidding right? That's a lot of fees that you'll have to pay back later on...

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
He's a teacher, I think, so he can pay all those fees back now. :)

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
24 said:
You're kidding right? That's a lot of fees that you'll have to pay back later on...
I'm already paying it back now, but if I accumulate more now it's all a tax write off and really the average amount I have spent on HECS a year is how much some people pay for short duration "professional" courses. Masters are pretty reasonable, mine range in $480-$2000 per unit, education is a priority area so cheap there, business and IT obviously higher, so I just focus on arts and education atm.

I have no problem with a big HECS debt, some people have larger car loans and they have to repay those under far less generous circumstances without being able to write it off on tax :cool:

Slide Rule said:
He's a teacher, I think, so he can pay all those fees back now.
Hehe yeah :) but it's not like others couldn't do the same, work as an engineer/accountant/manager/whatever go do a masters in it and write it off.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
I chose to do a Bachelor Of Music in Performance at the Syd. Conservatorium -although im doing Dip. Music Due to Low UAI , but majoring in performance anways- because

A) I love my music
B) I really really really hope to do it later in life, professionally- always have.
C) Its one of the only things besides my sport that i am good at so yeah

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
i'm doing viscomm (which is a happy blend of visual art, graphic design and communication subjects) because i love using my imagination.

yay for semester 2, first day of classes tomorrow!! :D

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
I decided to be a teacher quite some time ago, and my work experience in Year 10 confirmed it for me. This degree is what I need to teach in Primary Schools, and I guess being able to teach in both Catholic and Public schools is an added bonus.

klh

HSC
i liked It but hated programming so i changed to a B Bus (Management) coz it sounded good and interesting and all but it may have been wise to choose another course.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
coz its the only way to become an Occupational Therapist.

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
coz its the only way to become an Occupational Therapist.
You idiot. :rolleyes: You're just doing it to make a living because you couldn't think of anything better to do.

gigi, similar position to me.. I think I'll finish the Commerce degree off as I've already switched from Computer Science/Commerce to Commerce.... get some experience in the commerce industry and then maybe go back to do Nutrition or something like that to possibly open my own business.. I dunno, *shrugs*.

HSC
N/A
I'm happy where I am :) (B Creative Arts (International Studies) - majoring in Creative Writing)

Being something of an artsy person who rebels against "straight" academic subjects, I knew straight off doing something like accounting wouldn't work for me. I never really liked maths, why start now?

The travel required to do Dance at UNSW was just too much for me - plus, I have some issues with the course and am dancing on the side, anyway. The course I do gives me the training (some marketing, some business) I need to work in a more secure job (I'm looking at event management, something I actually enjoy) than performing artist, however it is still geared towards the creative/performing arts field ("Financial Management for the Creative Arts")- so no matter what I end up doing in life, I can work within the field that I love :)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
natstar said:
Are you putting off life lol.
That's a bit of a stupid thing to say. Has it ever come to you that people might like studying? We're not all like you, so don't talk as if we are. :)

Anyway, I chose BCompSc because I was interested in the science of computing (I still am, just not the academics :>). I'm also doing a BA because I have an interest in an area covered by Arts. I enjoy my Arts degree much like I enjoy my Computer Science degree. I chose them both because studying for both disciplines is fun. Uni itself, on the other hand... :>

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I hate selling things, I hate idiots, I hate essays, I hate hard work, long hours and reasonable effort.

So! I chose the life in which I have to sell diagnoses to stupid people, convince them that I know what I'm talking about and that they should do as I say, write endless reports about everything that nobody will ever read, spend hours without standing still let alone sitting down, fighting tooth and nail for negligible career advancement with hordes of Macchiavellian geniuses and come home to an empty bed.

I'm in it for the drugs. Oh, and the power trip.

santaslayer

HSC
B Comm/LLB:

Because I'm AzN.

Other options included:

Med
Actuarial

(but i was too shit for those two) :p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Commerce cause nothing else interested me in high school...now its basically for money and getting ahead in the corporate food chain

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)