Why do Aussies give Aboriginal Aussies a hard time? (1 Viewer)

When will an Aboriginal Australian become Prime Minister of Australia?

• 0-5 YEARS

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • 5-10 YEARS

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • 10-15 YEARS

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • 15-20 YEARS

Votes: 18 7.3%
  • 20-25 YEARS +

Votes: 64 26.1%
  • NEVER

Votes: 142 58.0%

• Total voters

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
on a srs note, why the hell do i have to pay $50 for a few tables from the pharmacy. whereas an abo only pays $3.

in this day and age, everyone would want to be an abo ...i think
I swear, at least 90% of people respond with "I wish", when I ask if they're A/TSI for work stats.

chamelia

HSC
Because they are the minority and we can.

Because it has become so prevalent it is a social norm, and a form of 'patriotism'.

Because of a lack of understanding as to why the indigenous community receive government benefit and supposed 'advantages'.

Because the media only spurns us on with constant reports of child molestation and abuse.

Because when you cut to the thick of it, we were wrong, and no one wants to admit to that wholeheartedly.

rasengan90

HSC
If we change the name to Invasion Day we should definitely carry out historical recreations. Who is with me?

КГБ

Banned
HSC
lets be srs.

most of the people in the bigger cities like myself grow up never meeting an aboriginal in their lives. if i remember correctly, the first time i met an aboriginal was when i was walking from Victoria park at USYD to redfern station. there were a few homeless aboriginals around and i gave them some money. what more can i do?

90% of Australians grow up viewing aboriginals as the stereotype associated to them. poor, cheap, petrol sniffers, paint sniffers, and abo bogan etc etc. lets face it, most aboriginals are like that.

but is it my problem? no. is it Katie's problem?no. its up to the aboriginal Australians to get up for themselves and help close the gap between them and the rest of mainland australia. that's the best way to fight for injustice (if you feel there is injustice). no1 is going to fight for you, im certainly not unless it directly effects me. until aboriginals let go of the ever so "white man took over dream time" or whatever the fuck the majority of Australians will just snob you.

oh, when i went to paki, they thought abos were sub human. pakis feel that the British intervention truly liberated and brought abos to civilization. but meh, pakis/indian have a inferior complex to the white man.

rasengan90

HSC
lets be srs.

most of the people in the bigger cities like myself grow up never meeting an aboriginal in their lives. if i remember correctly, the first time i met an aboriginal was when i was walking from Victoria park at USYD to redfern station. there were a few homeless aboriginals around and i gave them some money. what more can i do?

90% of Australians grow up viewing aboriginals as the stereotype associated to them. poor, cheap, petrol sniffers, paint sniffers, and abo bogan etc etc. lets face it, most aboriginals are like that.

but is it my problem? no. is it Katie's problem?no. its up to the aboriginal Australians to get up for themselves and help close the gap between them and the rest of mainland australia. that's the best way to fight for injustice (if you feel there is injustice). no1 is going to fight for you, im certainly not unless it directly effects me. until aboriginals let go of the ever so "white man took over dream time" or whatever the fuck the majority of Australians will just snob you.

oh, when i went to paki, they thought abos were sub human. pakis feel that the British intervention truly liberated and brought abos to civilization. but meh, pakis/indian have a inferior complex to the white man.
....You can be smallpox.

coopert

HSC
I will attempt to answer both questions, although acknowlege that I will probably end with some random irrelevant and oppinionated rant about something or other.

1. Why do Aussies give Aboriginal Australians a hard time?

Many feel that Aboriginals are given excessive amounts of government assistance and handouts, and I think that is the real reason behind the divide. They also perceive Aboriginals as alcoholics, or drug addicts.

2. When will there ever be an Aboriginal PM?

Sadly, I don't think there will be for a very long time. Statistically, Indigenous Australians are as a whole, an ethnic minorty in Australia. Statistically, we would be much more likely to have a Chinese-Australian PM over an Aboriginal PM. Combine this with the overall poorer access that Aboriginals have to higher education, combined with the general discrimination they face in society, I think it will be at least 50 years before we see an Aboriginal PM. That is just my honest opinion

Personal rant:

I think that Indigenous Australians deserve to enjoy the EXACT same freedoms and opportunities that the rest of Australian's are entitled to. However, by "the same", I actually do mean "the same", not "more".

I acknowlege that the British fucked the Indigenous Australians over, reeeal bad.
They stole their land, killed their people, and continued discrimination and mistreatment up untill recent times. However, as terrible as this was; I think that the past is the past. Everybody needs to move on, by dwelling in our guilt we will get nowhere. Both parties need to get the fuck over it. Yes, the British treated them like shit. But there is nothing we can do to change the past, we can only change the present and hopefully the future.

I think that we are, as a society, plagued by rampant liberal guilt and political correctness. I believe in 'give a man a fish, and he has dinner for an evening. Teach a man to fish, and he will have food for a lifetime' (..or something like that)

By handing out money, housing, etc to Aboriginals, they are not becoming independant or self-reliant. They will continue to mooch of the government spending their baby bonus and AbStudy on booze and drugs; only continue in the cycle of poverty that many find themselves in today.

My mother used to work for some government department responsible for Indigenous Health, and she used to tell me how whenever she went to visit WA, it was like a third world country out there. The way that many Aboriginals in Australia are treated today is attrocious. Out in like WA and stuff, they really lead lives that are unrecognizable to the rest of Australia. It is like a scene from a World Vision commercial set in Africa.

Unfortunately, most of the money allocated to the actual Aboriginals in need, is usually received by the Aboriginals that white people are more familiar with (Those living in public housing with too many children, those with drug and alcohol problems, etc). That reinforces the sterotype, and removes any idea that there may be actual decent Aboriginals who are genuinely in need.

Alot of Aboriginals with alcoholism take advantage of many of the incentives put in place that aim in equal oportunities for those Indigenous people who live everyday without clean drinking water.

In a nutshell, I feel absolutely no sympathy for 'ALL' Aboriginals, especially not the ones living in Inner-City (Redfern). That is prime real estate that should all be redeveloped for millions of dollars, and not rented out for twenty two cents a month to centrelink dependants.
I do, however, feel for the ones living in the outback without medical assistance etc.

Sitting around mooching off the government, and spending that money on booze when you have 12 starving kids is bloody lousy, regardless of whether you are Black or White. Kick the Aboriginals out of the community housing projects in Redfern and give them training and assistance to get proper jobs, and send the money where it's actually needed.

mrcalkin

Banned
HSC
We dont have an abo prime minister because aboriginals at <1% of the population. While in america african americans are 15-20% of population. Also obama had the support of Latios and other migrants. He also is highly educated, No offence but there aren t many high educated aboriginals.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Two of the most awesome people I know are (half) aboriginal. The girl is a total hottie and great to do shit with, while the guy is an intellectual and I know nobody better to get stoned or trip with (which is a massive compliment in my books).

But I don't really like the typical aggressive cheap cunt aboriginals I typically meet. I can't really help that.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
I'm going to be honest with you, Aboriginal people (in my experience) have a very warped opinion of what Australia "owes" them.

Read this, first hand experience right here:

My parents own a childcare centre, my mother worked with an aboriginal family whose children attended the preschool in promoting aboriginal rights in the community. They were nice, decent people. My parents were very flexible with fee repayments as we were such good friends with them and they had 5 children (all of which had or were attended the preschool).

It got to a point where they owed us $3000 (or thereabouts), we asked for the money and they pulled their children out of the preschool and told us because we were white we OWED THEM SOMETHING!! We haven't heard from them again and we have been trying and trying to get debt collectors onto it but they just continue to refuse to pay us because we are white! And it's not because they have no money (4 of their children go to a local private school with fees about $4000 a year).
I am very opinionated on this issue.....

Why is it our responsibility to say sorry to them, why is it us that owes them something?? And not the other way around.
We never did a thing wrong to them, we were flexible with fee payments, heck my mum worked to promote Aboriginal rights!!
It was the most racist, pathetic and despicable thing that I have experienced in my life.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Half doesn't count.

If there was nothing to gain by being 1/2, 1/4, 1/5th Aboriginal, nobody would claim to be Aboriginal. It's like when somebody who is a 1/4 Aboriginal is asked what they are, and they'll always say I'M ABORIGINAL AND PROUD.

If there was nothing to gain from it, nobody would claim it. It's like me saying LOL I'M IRISH because I might get some compensation from the Potato famine, even though I'd be like, less than 18/th Irish

sipplix

HSC
Hmmm. How do we put this without being racist?

Thats a tough question, seeing as nowadays you cant fire a black person because thats discrimination, and you cant say 'whiteboard' or 'blackboard' because no one uses blackboards anymore. you get the drift?

Aboriginals will never become PM the way they are living.

They are a lazy, stubborn race who thinks the government owe them a living.
Why does the Australian government owe you anything? If white people hadnt settled here, you would still be hunting with sticks and eating with your hands.

Take a trip to Alice Springs. All the local councils give them basic housing and what do they do? They rip the effing cupboard doors off and use them as firewood.

Are you telling me that isnt stupid? Aboriginals werent put on this earth to give us anything but grief.

Simply put, when an aboriginal tries to make his way up the 'social ladder', and then suddenly can see all the other aboriginals that have fallen before him, he becomes 'disheartened', and falls on top of the pile.

The aboriginals HAVE to change their ways before they can be taken seriously as anything, as in modern society, we still treat them as human beings, but dont see them for what they really are.

Disagree? Think about it.

Disagree?

Thought not.

Ak0ona-Matata

HSC
australia's still a young nation.
i really want to say 5-10 years but looking at the % of the population that they represent it seems very unlikely for a very long time.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Noel Pearson would make a great leader

Appointed GG/President is more likely. Rudd's final legacy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)