• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

why do fobby asians do that peace sign? (1 Viewer)

SDES

MUP DA DOO BIX NOOD
HSC
This makes me think about south east asians, and how they all love everything not from their country/nationality, esp this purikura shit. It's like being weeaboo, except you're asian, so it's not.

Also reminds me of how most people of SEA nationality exclusively speak English with their friends (possibly all they know proficiently), while chinks and HKers speaka da chinee, colean speak da colean, japanisu etc.

tl;dr - white washed and yellow fever at the same time

/off-topic

jassono

HSC
Im Asian and I Do not understand it-I saw a pic of some jap girl popping the peace sign but her fingers were half curled, so it was like a peace hook-retarded as hell

I prefer giving the middle finger when im drunk. And so do a lot of my mates, it's strangely odd. We do it all the time, when we see each other, like at our school formal we hadnt seen each other for weeks. So we just flipped each other off and laughed. Now that i dont understand.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I went to a school that was (and still is) 90% asian and hardly anyone does that peace sign lol...but then again I guess it's more frequent in the "fobby" types (which makes up less than 30% of the asians at my school)
I was once naive enough to believe it came from the reminents of hippie culture ("peace out man!") or something and didn't really think it was asian thing LOL

SDES

MUP DA DOO BIX NOOD
HSC
Oh yeah, speaking of peace signs, what's with doing the peace sign behind a person's head in photos? Is it to make them look like a martian or something? (I think I got that from the movie 'My Favourite Martian')

/off-topic once again

ilikebeeef

HSC
i think palm inwards is more gangstahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hahaha and palm outwards is "azn cuties" lol
Hahaha then by your definition I do the "more gangstahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" one*. xD

Although I am not gangsta. :)

Oh yeah, speaking of peace signs, what's with doing the peace sign behind a person's head in photos? Is it to make them look like a martian or something? (I think I got that from the movie 'My Favourite Martian')

/off-topic once again
It's supposed to be "bunny ears", to mock the person for not noticing that they've been made fun of.

*only in group pictures/pictures with more than me in it, where I am supposed to "pose".

Last edited:

ilikebeeef

HSC
I have always wondered why the Japanese seem to have become obsessed with a gesture which frankly, if nothing else is used to symbolise the allied victory of WWII, considering the manner by which Japan lost.
They just want to look cute. It's embedded in their culture. You can't find many anime girls that aren't cute.

kramxel

HSC
i think there a are 2 types of fobs. ones that have their 2 feet planted on the ground, and want to assimulate into australian culture and society, and embracing what this great country has to offer.
on the other hand we have those who have one foot still on the boat - they love their culture too much.

ffs, you live in australia so be australian!

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
whats the difference between palm inward and palm outward, anyone?
the palm inward means "fuck off"....the v-sign...story goes when the french caught english longbowmen they would cut off their fingers so they couldnt fire arrows anymore...so the english used to taunt the french by doing that to show they still had their fingers...than the americans bastardised it by making it one finger and dropping the letter u from several words

Sadiah

HSC
i think there a are 2 types of fobs. ones that have their 2 feet planted on the ground, and want to assimulate into australian culture and society, and embracing what this great country has to offer.
on the other hand we have those who have one foot still on the boat - they love their culture too much.

ffs, you live in australia so be australian!
Australia's a multicultural nation. =]

aussie-boy

HSC
Australia's a multicultural nation. =]
Which means you take a little from every culture and incorporate it into your life

E.g. all Australians know how to use chopsticks, doesnt mean we use them every day

aussie-boy

HSC
i don't know if anyone here is as well travelled as me but have you noticed no matter where you go in the world the majority of tourists you see are chinese ones? i remember when i was a kid, first time visiting Paris the line outside The Louvre was packed with them, it's lucky all i do now when i'm in Paris go to the Cinematheque Paris from the 16e.

again not a racial thing, just an observation, remember i'm part asian
You don't see many black people because most Africans are too poor to travel.
White/olive skinned tourists from elsewhere in Europe/the US/UK/Aus/South America all blend in with the locals.
But Asian ppl stand out because there aren't many living in Europe.

Also, English is used much less in Asian countries so itd be impossible to get around Paris if you weren't on a guided tour (so the tendency to group travel would also be a factor)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)