Why do people find this topic so hard? (1 Viewer)

thehootman

HSC
Gday all,
I am mystified as to why so many people have so much difficulty with M&G.
Conceptually, its simple. Analytically, its simple. So why do people have so much trouble?
The concepts are far simpler than in space, for example. Space also has far more difficult analytical q's (proj. motion).

FromDeeEast

HSC
The reason i think that many people find this topic so hard is because it is fairly boring, the space topic was interesting hence u wanted to learn it etc. But starting this topic i had to revise alot of my prelim work then start learning the new conceopts etc.

Just dont like the topic, because space made you think, this is more understanding facts and recalling them pretty boring imo

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
I think people might find it a difficult topic because it deals with new concepts and if you don't get the basics then the whole topic falls apart.

Also, you are dealing with motors and generators which are essentially the same BUT completely different in how you use the hand rules. That can be confusing. Inducing a current and magentic field and getting directions right and all that can be quite confunding if it is new.

Also, it used to be much harder, so I think perhaps that perception lingers.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
I think it might also have to do with the teacher. If a teacher can explain the topic in such a way that makes it a no-brainer then it is not such a hard topic. But if the teacher is struggling with the concepts (which may be the case if the teacher is not primarily a physics teacher) they may not have the wherewithall to explain the topic in such a way that makes it that clear.

Astrophysics can be easy with the right teacher, and I'm sure if you had a teacher with a background in Geology and Physics the Geophysics option would be easy too. I would find the Silicon topic easy to teach because I am an Electrical Engineer by profession.

So much depends on the training and background of the teacher.

FromDeeEast

HSC
my teacher knows her stuff but assumes the class has read the whole book and she goes past the scope of the course without spending much time on the basics

twilight1412

HSC
well this topic is relatively simple to understand .. there are only 2 concepts in the whole topic

Faraday's Law
Lenz's Law

thats it everything grows from that

James747

HSC
For me, its cuz the teacher can't explain it good enough and so, in an indirect way, I have to learn the stuff by myself... which makes it hard.

Member232135

HSC
N/A
James747 said:
For me, its cuz the teacher can't explain it good enough and so, in an indirect way, I have to learn the stuff by myself... which makes it hard.
I have the same problem, and it also has with the teacher not really caring about the kids that are falling behind and rather spending more time with the kids that are basically teaching the class:mad1:

Wyvern02

HSC
James747 said:
i got that problem for my chemistry class...

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Sidicious-Reign said:
I have the same problem, and it also has with the teacher not really caring about the kids that are falling behind and rather spending more time with the kids that are basically teaching the class:mad1:
That's why our Maths Ext. 1 teacher tells the Ext. 2 guy to STFU sometimes to give us n00bs a chance.

Tadpole24

HSC
I have an amazing teacher. Makes every lesson funny and everything...he focuses on some of the "band 6 kids" a bit too often, but he is a good teacher. None the less though, I found Motors and Generators the hardest topic.
It's the interest level.
I can't stand the topic, therefore I don't want to learn the topic.
plus I don't like maths all that much so it's a bit annoying.
I guess that's the reason Idea's to Implementation was my favourite core topic. :)

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
I reckon some of the stuff about "building on other scientist's contribution" in Ideas to Implementation would trump some of the stuff in M&G in terms of boringness.

Space and Quanta to Quarks rock.

appleide

HSC
alcalder said:
I think it might also have to do with the teacher. If a teacher can explain the topic in such a way that makes it a no-brainer then it is not such a hard topic. But if the teacher is struggling with the concepts (which may be the case if the teacher is not primarily a physics teacher) they may not have the wherewithall to explain the topic in such a way that makes it that clear.

Astrophysics can be easy with the right teacher, and I'm sure if you had a teacher with a background in Geology and Physics the Geophysics option would be easy too. I would find the Silicon topic easy to teach because I am an Electrical Engineer by profession.

So much depends on the training and background of the teacher.
My teacher was so obsessed with astronomy she brought her 20 inch telescope and we took turns looking at the sun. (with filters, of course).

Motors and Generators is simple.

morganforrest

HSC
It's jsut boring....and half the reason people find it hard is coz they're shit at communicating and hence can't write on paper what they, conceptually anyway, understand.

This topic is all about how well you can express your understanding using the correct scientific lingo and convering all the essential points which is why people find it difficult imo.

Doesn't bother me so much, still the most boring topic

EDIT: scratch that...flipping medical physics is....I can't believe our class chose it coz "it's the easy option"....losers

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
morganforrest said:
It's jsut boring....and half the reason people find it hard is coz they're shit at communicating and hence can't write on paper what they, conceptually anyway, understand.

This topic is all about how well you can express your understanding using the correct scientific lingo and convering all the essential points which is why people find it difficult imo.

EDIT: scratch that...flipping medical physics is....I can't believe our class chose it coz "it's the easy option"....losers
I thought it was Astrophysics which was the easy one.
It's boring at least.

twilight1412

HSC
morganforrest said:

you mean its about how good you are at making your answer sound smart =)

Äj

HSC
serious? i find M&G one of the easiest. but then again, theyre all easy. :D . i practically knew half the physics sylibus before i even started lol.
my class is doing med phys. which is gay. i wanted to do astro cause its cool. but i descided to do silicon anyway. i basically knew that one already anyway.

its only physics anyway. i mean, they give you a sheet with all the formulas and constants on it for goodness sake. the rest is remembering historically important stuff and explaining stuff. easy.

twilight1412

HSC
LOL
Aj thats not something you should say =P
people feel like crap if you say something is easy when theyre stuggling with it
it also makes you look alittle stuck up =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)