Why do people look for tutors? (1 Viewer)

vinba

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

Just wanted to start a discussion group on why do people look for tutors/tutoring centres?

What is it that we need help with?
- Cramming for an exam?
- Overview on classes taught at school again?
- Study buddy?
- More practice questions/resources?
- Looking to learn something new (i.e. passion for computer programming, guitar, biology, etc...)

Cheers

Last edited:

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
I feel like tutors do what teachers can do except they're forced to answer your question because you're directly paying them (not through taxes). Also, the option to go 1 on 1 is something a lot of people want rather than a class. Imo, a good textbook can do exactly what a tutor does. I guess the fact that having a scheduled tutor makes sure that you're using that time whereas a textbook is up to you to choose, makes a lot of people relax on knowing that they'll have to dedicate that time to studying... I've never gone to tutoring so Idk, any other ideas?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Fear of missing out.

If everyone has a tutor I therefore need one .

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
I abstain from tutoring because it makes me work harder I guess. I feel as if relying on a tutor will make me complacent and become over-reliant on their help and therefore diminish any capability/potential I can exert. Yet - the opposite can also be said and instead allude towards the possibility for tutoring to instead engage in supporting ones potential instead of containing. All in all - everyone is different, and tutoring does not work for everyone.

systematic

HSC
definitely FOMO but also if all the smart people at my school go to a particular tutoring place, then i want to go to. I understand that it could be that they are smart and tutoring did not get them to that particular rank but i want to know i am on an equal playing field. Its the HSC so i aint leaving anything to chance even if it means paying thousands of dollars (luckily my parents can easily afford to do so). Also everyone just fks around during class and its so disruptive, you cant learn anything haha

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
definitely FOMO but also if all the smart people at my school go to a particular tutoring place, then i want to go to. I understand that it could be that they are smart and tutoring did not get them to that particular rank but i want to know i am on an equal playing field. Its the HSC so i aint leaving anything to chance even if it means paying thousands of dollars (luckily my parents can easily afford to do so). Also everyone just fks around during class and its so disruptive, you cant learn anything haha
Would love to have you as my student.

moonkitty

HSC
personally, I find tutors helpful because it's basically like having a teacher all to myself. they go at my pace and work exclusively with me. it's nice to have someone help you with anything you're struggling with.

trecex1

HSC
Because many teachers don't go into detail for a lot of content and don't explain concepts that well either, especially for math and sciences. Even if you go to a top 10 school with at least decent teachers -if everyone else is getting extra tutoring you don't want to fall behind them (which you will if they are doing extra focus on specific areas/harder questions).

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
personally, I find tutors helpful because it's basically like having a teacher all to myself. they go at my pace and work exclusively with me. it's nice to have someone help you with anything you're struggling with.
Only when you have a 1-on-1 tutor. Otherwise you will have to share your tutor with a whole class of anything from 5 to 15.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)