why do people think B arts = unemployment?? (1 Viewer)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
So thereare ppl that tell me not to do a B Arts because it leads to unemployment lol.

If anyone else agrees, how is this the case?

there are so many possibe majors in the B arts degree and all of them I could think are useful in getting various jobs..

thanks

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
I think the UAI Requirement for B Arts is only about 75.00 at USyd, so basicly... everybody can do it. Thats proberbly why they're all unemployed. If you have a good UAI, why waste it on B Arts which is something anybody can get into, instead, Law, or Acturial Studies, or Aeronautical Engineering, or Medicine are 'respectable' degrees for smart people. So they get the jobs.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Arts is not like education, or engineering, or nursing, where the degree leads you directly into a career.

I think most B. Arts people end up tacking a Dip. Ed on the end of their degree and becoming teachers.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
foram said:
I think the UAI Requirement for B Arts is only about 75.00 at USyd, so basicly... everybody can do it. Thats proberbly why they're all unemployed.
B economics at ANU is around 75.00 and a lot of people who take that degree find employment so I doubt it's because of the low cutoff.

foram said:
If you have a good UAI, why waste it on B Arts which is something anybody can get into, instead, Law, or Acturial Studies, or Aeronautical Engineering, or Medicine are 'respectable' degrees for smart people. So they get the jobs.
well from the way I see it: you don't pick a course based on the uai you get, you aim for the UAI that will get you into the course you want. (if that made sense). So if you wanted to do a B arts it wouldn't be a 'waste'. And 'respectable degrees' for 'smart people'?? Wouldn't you do a course because you have a genuine interest in it not because it's what the smart people do??

Last edited:

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
There are so many people in Australia with law degrees that they will never use, because we've got enough lawyers without the hundreds of graduates that come through every year.

The cleaner at my old work had a law degree.

Education, on the other hand, has a relatively low UAI (83.something at Usyd), but it pretty much guarantees you a job.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
scarybunny said:
I think most B. Arts people end up tacking a Dip. Ed on the end of their degree and becoming teachers.
this is what some of my teachers did.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Why do a BA (major) when most of the things you major in have a straight degree?
not all of them though, if you wanted to do, say, philosophy you would have to take the B arts degree?

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Okay, I was wrong about people caring about how smart B.Arts people are. Nobody cares that B.Arts is full of people who got bad UAI's.

But would unemployment be because there is little demand for people with B.Arts degrees, where as there is a demand for people in Engineering.

The only decent job I can think of for a person with a B.Arts degree + diploma of education is being a teacher.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
scarybunny said:
There are so many people in Australia with law degrees that they will never use, because we've got enough lawyers without the hundreds of graduates that come through every year.
Also I read in the smh that heaps of people do a combined law degree with no intention of having a career in law.

The example they gave was all those comm/law kids who want to become investment bankers.

The law degree just makes them oh soo tasty..

scarybunny said:
The cleaner at my old work had a law degree.
shit... what hapened there?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I did a year of an arts degree, and I had a mid-90's UAI.

It's a good degree to do just as a starter to uni, because you can do whatever you want. A bit too directionless for me, but some people love the freedom. It gives you time to decide what you want to do, whether that be another course or not. You can always transfer out of it.

If it's what you want to do, it's never "wasting" your UAI. There's no reason to do med just because you get 99. That's stupid.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
foram said:
Okay, I was wrong about people caring about how smart B.Arts people are. Nobody cares that B.Arts is full of people who got bad UAI's.

fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
I know a person who got an extremely high UAI but choose to do B Arts @ USyd. Why? Cause she thought she would enjoy it and she does.
There still would be people with high UAIs though, as foreverpink said.

foram said:
But would unemployment be because there is little demand for people with B.Arts degrees, where as there is a demand for people in Engineering.
I'm wondering the same thing. But some of the majors avaiable seem like there would be a lot of employment oppotunities.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
Also I read in the smh that heaps of people do a combined law degree with no intention of having a career in law.

The example they gave was all those comm/law kids who want to become investment bankers.

The law degree just makes them oh soo tasty..

shit... what hapened there?
Getting a law degree doesn't guarantee you a career in law. Not even close. There are too many qualified people and not nearly enough actual jobs.

If it's employability you're after, look at the booming professions/industries and go there.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
foram said:
The only decent job I can think of for a person with a B.Arts degree + diploma of education is being a teacher.
Take away the diploma of education and there's publishing. People always forget about that. Virtually everyone in the editorial side of publishing has done an Arts degree in some incarnation.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Name the majors you think have lots of employment oppurtunities. So I can see where you are coming from.
im guessing:

• Education
  • Film
  • Linguistics
  • Music
  • Politics and International Relations
  • Policy Studies
  • Sociology
Therewould be employment opportunities there

EDIT: wierd, i got these from a list but i swear you can do electives like economics and psychology

Last edited:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
  • Education ---> I think as a requirement to become a teacher you actually need to do a degree on it not just major in it BA + DipEd.
  • Film ---> some people have gotten jobs in the media industry but it is very very competitive (high demand for the job + low supply available) Doesn't mean it's not an option. It's also an expanding industry in Australia.
  • Linguistics---> tbh I dont know what job you can get with this
  • Music---> musicans are usually self employed and if they do want to make it big it is pretty hard to do Not all. Who do you think writes jingles for commercials? You can also be a music teacher, part of an orchestra, etc. It's not just "Oh let's get famous by playing music".
  • Politics and International Relations---> yeah i know people with arts degrees that work for the government
  • Policy Studies---> job availability is low...
  • Sociology---> high competition with people doing social work and social science degrees

hope that helped :)
Plus there are other fields, like I said above, publishing is another growing industry and at the moment there is a bit of a skills shortage occurring.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
im guessing:

• Education
  • Film
  • Linguistics
  • Music
  • Politics and International Relations
  • Policy Studies
  • Sociology
Therewould be employment opportunities there

EDIT: wierd, i got these from a list but i swear you can do electives like economics and psychology
I'd also say doing language majors would open up a few career opportunities as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)