Why do some law firms want to see VCE/HSC results? (1 Viewer)

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
melsc said:
lol it seems pointless, especially since most HSC subjects have nothing to do with law (except legal and english and even still)
Remember it is not always about the content, it is about the analytical/logical approach. A lawyer who knows the content of every law in the book but can't apply them correctly is far less effective than one who has to research the law but knows exactly which ones he or she is looking for.

Therefore I would say physics is the best HSC indicator for a good lawyer :)
The subject has little, if any, wrote learning content and founds the basic logic and analytical skills of any sound lawyer.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Manychief, you can go and argue with yourself about ethics in the corner....this isn't what this thread is about. Better still, start your own thread on ethics if you're so interested in it.

rhapsody11

HSC
N/A
gordo said:
Therefore I would say physics is the best HSC indicator for a good lawyer :)
The subject has little, if any, wrote learning content and founds the basic logic and analytical skills of any sound lawyer.
Gee, I wonder why you said physics. :rolleyes:

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
Ms 12 said:
Manychief, you can go and argue with yourself about ethics in the corner....this isn't what this thread is about. Better still, start your own thread on ethics if you're so interested in it.
That's a bit harsh isn't it?

And from the person who suggested lying about marks to potential employers ... I think this thread is absolutely about ethics.

Ms 12 said:
Hehe yeah short of showing them the original certificate (which you can say was like up on the wall at home or something) you can tell them whatever marks you want.......they ask for your HSC marks....they don't specify whether they want what was your ideal HSC marks or actual Hsc marks :p
Ms 12 said:
I'd like to know how they're gonna find out its a misrepresentation...
But I shall not say anymore on the matter of ethics here.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Ohhh so you're one of thosssse lawyers who can't sense (or appreciate) a bit of humour. The whole ':p' was there to give it away but apparently ive got to be bit more blatant for the slower amongst us....

ManlyChief

HSC
Ms 12 said:
Ohhh so you're one of thosssse lawyers who can't sense (or appreciate) a bit of humour. The whole ':p' was there to give it away but apparently ive got to be bit more blatant for the slower amongst us....
The ':p' has multiple meanings. It could be read as a sly grin, evincing a type of mischief behind the statement, suggesting:

(a) an endorsement of such unethical practices; or
(b) a realisation that the practice is wrong, but it's still ok to try it because we live in a hedonistic and egotistic world where all standards of behaviour, even ethics, are cut down before the majesty of our own petty materialistic goals. :)

In either case, I think the statements were still naughty. But I'm sure you are still very ethical.

And, please, let's not move from a debate about ethics to one about the semantics of emoticons :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i love you manlychief :) i'd love you a lot more if i didnt think you were gay.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I would be inclined to say that this: ;) is mischevious

But you're a lawyer, you're trying to manipulate my argument to your advantage after all......:p (or is it ;)? )

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ms 12, admit that you meant that you could potentially circumvent the hsc results requirements by fabricating one as no proof is needed. whilst you may not do so yourself, you hinted at how this is indeed very possible and will probably not be followed up.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Of course it is possible, but I do not need to be patronised by manlychief.......I am very aware of consequences for members of the Law Society found guilty of purgery and misrepresentation type offences.

manlychief took something that was said in jest and turned it into an opportunity to 'show off'.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Ms 12 said:
Of course it is possible, but I do not need to be patronised by manlychief.......I am very aware of consequences for members of the Law Society found guilty of purgery and misrepresentation type offences.

manlychief took something that was said in jest and turned it into an opportunity to 'show off'.
he also has a very gay avatar.

ManlyChief

HSC
Ms 12 said:

I was not being patronising. I don't even think I actually argued against anything you said other to state that I felt lying to potential employers would be wrong. My post of 12.33pm today, let us remember, was in response to the patronising attack that I had no sense of humour.

But as for the original point - I was merely stating an opinion - an opinion I felt needed to be backed up by some reference to the rules. This is not 'showing off' as you have put it.

Even if it were 'showing off' (which, to be clear it was not) then the criterion for determining what is 'showing off' and what is not would have been unilaterally transformed by you into the following scheme:

backing up of opinion with reference to rules/statute/case law or reasoning = 'showing off' = invalid/unfair form of expression (which I take it is the crux of your last post)

And by that scheme, everyone who has ever posted on this forum with reference to some form of statutory provision, decided authority or attempted to present a reasoned arguement would be guilty of 'showing off' and therefore their post would be invalid/unfair by reason of this 'showing off'. What posts would then remain? Such a scheme is manifestly absurd.

Furthermore, I did not interpret the statements made to have been made 'in jest' - notwithstanding the ' :p '. And even if the that little emoticon did make that satement one of harmless jest, then the same could not be said of the third post I quoted in my post of 12:20pm today.

So let's be clear, my posts here over the past few days have been made:
(a) in response to suggestions law students lie to potential employees;
(b) in response to claims that the Australian legal profession is inherently unethical;
(c) where I could manage it, with reference to relevant law; and
(d) with no intention to patronise any other poster.

If such posts constitute 'showing off' then that is a determination I will have to live with. But if such posts do constitute 'showing off' and are therefore invalid forms of expression - which appears to be the suggestion in the post - then I would say almost everyone here should be castigated in the same way that I have been, for I would venture that almost everyone has constructed posts in the manner I have done.

If, despite the foregoing, my fellow BOSers feel that I have do actually have some horrible offence for which to account, then I may offer the following in my defence. On Tuesday next I have an exam on this very matter, so all the material is swirling around in my head and anything written in response here must have been fueled by that. And so if the posts were expressed seriously (or, unduly seriously) then it is because for this topic I am in quasi exam mode.

Finally - I offered at 12.20pm today not to discuss this matte any more. I now reiterate that offer. Let's draw a line, hug, hold hands and go for a swim. And let's never talk about this sorry therad again.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
then why have a guy in his underwear as your av?

ManlyChief

HSC
stazi said:
then why have a guy in his underwear as your av?
Mate, that's a bit of simplistic understanding of human sexuality, isn't it?

"I have a man in underpants in my av .'. I must be gay ..."

The reason is: when I found that picture, I was wearing the same underpants and listening to music with similar headphones so he and I were like twins, in a weird way, so I thought, "let's make this pic my av".

santaslayer

HSC
omg...u wrote too much for something that was meant to be a joke...

anyway, whats ethical may not be legal
whilst something legal may not be ethical...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ManlyChief said:
Mate, that's a bit of simplistic understanding of human sexuality, isn't it?

"I have a man in underpants in my av .'. I must be gay ..."

The reason is: when I found that picture, I was wearing the same underpants and listening to music with similar headphones so he and I were like twins, in a weird way, so I thought, "let's make this pic my av".
no, i understand human sexuality. and having a naked guy in ones avatar is something that no straight guy i know would do. but then again if you say youre not gay, i will believe you on that one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)