Why do uni lecturers have so much pride??? (1 Viewer)

klaw

HSC
So I went to the info day today and went to the area specifically for asking questions and asked the people there questions (Most of them looked 45+ and had white hair so I assume they're lecturers). After asking a few people I realised that they were contradicting each other A LOT. Some examples include:

"Psychology is certainly really great for an accounting/finance related job, it's prized among employers" - Accounting info guy
"Psychology wouldn't really help much with accounting, but it'll help with human relations and marketing" - Psychology info guy
"You can't do psychology through arts but you can do it through social science" - Psychology info guy
"You can do psychology as your second major in arts" - Arts info person

What is so hard about admitting that you don't know the answer and referring me to the right person to ask? Why would people rather feed a student asking questions on info day bullshit than to hurt their pride and admit that they don't know the answer??? Going to this info day has made me more confused than before!!!!! AHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhHHhhHhhhHhhhhhhhh UNI LECTURERS DIE!!!!!!!!!

One thing I want confirmed before I enrol though, can you study psych as a second major through Comm/Arts or Eco/Arts at UNSW?

Conspirocy

HSC
klaw said:
So I went to the info day today and went to the area specifically for asking questions and asked the people there questions (Most of them looked 45+ and had white hair so I assume they're lecturers). After asking a few people I realised that they were contradicting each other A LOT. Some examples include:

"Psychology is certainly really great for an accounting/finance related job, it's prized among employers" - Accounting info guy
"Psychology wouldn't really help much with accounting, but it'll help with human relations and marketing" - Psychology info guy
"You can't do psychology through arts but you can do it through social science" - Psychology info guy

What is so hard about admitting that you don't know the answer and referring me to the right person to ask? Why would people rather feed a student asking questions on info day bullshit than to hurt their pride and admit that they don't know the answer??? Going to this info day has made me more confused than before!!!!! AHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhHHhhHhhhHhhhhhhhh UNI LECTURERS DIE!!!!!!!!!

One thing I want confirmed before I enrol though, can you study psych as a second major through Comm/Arts or Eco/Arts at UNSW?
the people i know that are doing psych with commerce and in com/sci degree...but i havent checked it out

A2RAYA

You've done us proud boys
HSC
same with two ladies at the civil engineering info thing at unsw. they said one thing and another lecturer we talked to completely contradicted them. oh and i figured the lady in charge of admissions or something was a real stooge. She didn't even know that a credit average equals a gpa of 5.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
klaw said:

they're not necessarily lecturers. however, it has nothing to do with pride. they may actually believe that their answer is correct based on what they have been informed of. as you have probably realised, cross-degree majors are complicated.

Also, the first two quotes
Psychology shows that your interests aren't limited to one field. Which is why the accounting guy said that psych is valued amongst employers. If I was an employer looking for accountants, I would be very interested in a holistic graduate.

The psych guy looked at it from the standpoint of whether or not there is a 'psychology of numbers'. Numbers don't have a brain, so no :p

klaw

HSC
stazi said:
they're not necessarily lecturers. however, it has nothing to do with pride. they may actually believe that their answer is correct based on what they have been informed of. as you have probably realised, cross-degree majors are complicated.

Also, the first two quotes

Psychology shows that your interests aren't limited to one field. Which is why the accounting guy said that psych is valued amongst employers. If I was an employer looking for accountants, I would be very interested in a holistic graduate.

The psych guy looked at it from the standpoint of whether or not there is a 'psychology of numbers'. Numbers don't have a brain, so no :p
Hmm I understand what you're saying, but unless you are sure you are correct, shouldn't you refer the person asking to someone more knowledgable than you? Or at least make it known to the person asking that you're not 100% sure of the answer by saying words like "probably", "I'm not completely sure but I think..." etc etc

And also, the person who said psychology was useful to accounting said that languages weren't really useful for accounting, and an interest in languages does show that your interests aren't limited to one field doesn't it?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
klaw said:
Hmm I understand what you're saying, but unless you are sure you are correct, shouldn't you refer the person asking to someone more knowledgable than you? Or at least make it known to the person asking that you're not 100% sure of the answer by saying words like "probably", "I'm not completely sure but I think..." etc etc

And also, the person who said psychology was useful to accounting said that languages weren't really useful for accounting, and an interest in languages does show that your interests aren't limited to one field doesn't it?
whilst languages show that you're interested in more than one field, it could also mean that you're just studying a language you know well to increase your GPA. Also, some fields are more useful to a discipline than others (e.g. finance involves understanding how markets work - markets are mediated by groups of people- social psychology studies people in groups). The psych person probably asked himself whether or not studying psych will increase your marks in finance/accountin.

klaw

HSC
Hmmm but I specifically asked the psych person how much psych helped with an accounting/finance career, I specifically said career.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
klaw said:
Hmmm but I specifically asked the psych person how much psych helped with an accounting/finance career, I specifically said career.
nonetheless, it's not difficult to imagine that someone who's studied psych all their life won't think of accounting in a broader sense of the career. psych is a rather closed discipline. hell, if i hadn't studied some economics, I would say with 100% confidence that an economist shouldn't study any psychology, as it would be pointless

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)